Help Building A Medium Mech

12 replies to this topic

#1 vasava

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:46 AM

Hi everyone,

I used smurfy's mechlab to find a mech that checks all the boxes and came out with Uziel, by now you must realise I'm not very happy with it. I die alot even with maxed armor. Previously I ran PXH-1 with 130 speed and jumps, I love playing it, but it lacks long range missiles which i need because my aim is bad.

My prefered build :

x2 Guided missiles
RAC/2 or a clan alternative for close combat.
2x pulse lasers

100 speed, 300 armor, no jumps needed.
only C-bills, I got 17mil of them

Please help!

Edited by vasava, 07 April 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#2 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 09:58 AM

If you want to use LRM's, Trebuchet 7M is by far the best option out of all mech sizes. It just works best with just pure missiles and no other weapon systems.

If you would rather go fast than lob missiles at long range, a clan mech such as the Arctic Wolf or Stormcrow with a bunch of Streak SRM launchers requires very little skill, and is certainly better than a mixed loadout that includes lurms. Clan streaks have a fairly long range.

Edited by Gagis, 07 April 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#3 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 07 April 2019 - 10:54 AM

Well, if you're going to lrm at least you have the common sense not to take up 90 tons doing it. +1 for treb and arctic wolf. Both fit the bill you're asking for. Though you would be better off taking streaks in the ACW like gagis said.

Id strongly consider a hunstman though. Yeah they are a bit slower but you can really load that ******* up with guns.

Edited by VigorousApathy, 07 April 2019 - 10:57 AM.

#4 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:02 AM

Yeah treb, kintaro, arctic wolf and huntsman are premier missile mechs - I personally prefer the Kintaro. (Particular the KTO-18)

#5 Louis Fist

Rookie

• 5 posts
  • LocationInside my Mech

Posted 07 April 2019 - 11:47 AM

I use this build on my Hunchback 4G https://mwo.smurfy-n...2695f4bd2ea6dae

Why 4G model? Easy,it have AC20 quirk.

Why those tons of ammo? Easy,i get out of ammo everytime i rush the game mode where you need to destroy an entire base.

Why Hunchback? Easy,is a pocket cannon mech.

With the mech who one user said few time ago (Hollander it says?) it must be my to go mech since i tryed this game few days ago (tryed before but it was few years ago)

I really love ACs and ballistics. And this Hunchie can do SERIOUS damage to higher tonnage mechs.

Since you say what medium mech is good,i just post this build with a IS medium mech.

I do not know if you prefer Clan or IS. But i put my two cents.

#6 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 12:01 PM

Some random advice:

For most people, targeting precision gets better when they turn down mouse sensitivity. The default is waaaay to jumpy...

When you are just starting out, the first two medium Mechs I tend to recommend are the Crab and the Bushwacker... Neither provides strong missile builds, but the Crab is quite decent as a laser vomit boat and the Bushwacker does RACs really well. Both chassis' are also very tanky... Which is really useful when starting out.

While the Uziel is a walking deathtrap. Posted Image

***EDIT: If you need some exact builds for those two mechs, let me know. ***

Edited by Darakor Stormwind, 07 April 2019 - 12:34 PM.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 07 April 2019 - 01:32 PM

Less broad-building, more dedication. More specifically, you need more of a Focused punch. RAC has a good punch but lacks focus, Guided missiles don't focus specific body parts And the pulse lasers are good but only two and given the weight dedicated elsewhere I'm assuming medium pulse...lack of range there.

So one weapon set provides no focus (guided missiles)
One single weapon provides good firepower but requires a lot of exposure time to focus damage (RAC)
And a couple of weapons that you have to be sampling the enemy's bad breath in order to use them.

Not a good mix.

Try something like a couple of PPCs + an AC/5.

Try a couple of MRMs + some pulse lasers.

Try the biggest AC you can shove in and some lasers (or in place of the biggest AC, just a UAC/5 as the low heat backup to laser vomit).

Whatever you go for, commit a bit more.
And leave RACs to heavily armored tanky mechs like the Wolverine or Annihilator or Roughneck.

Edited by Koniving, 07 April 2019 - 01:33 PM.

#8 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:01 AM

Twin rac2's and a large laser on a Bushwacker is a lot of fun.... I'm not good at aiming, I take meds that give me the shakes, so I use the LL like a TAG, and spin up the racs when I hit with the laser...

If you are serious about LURM, the Treb 7m, as OP stated, is a magic machine for it. I wouldn't urinate on my Uziel if it was on fire, which it usually is. The ACW with ECM is a heck of a lot of fun, speedy, and you can support your assaults with ECM, which is fun.

#9 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:14 AM

View Postvasava, on 07 April 2019 - 09:46 AM, said:

Hi everyone,

I used smurfy's mechlab to find a mech that checks all the boxes and came out with Uziel, by now you must realise I'm not very happy with it. I die alot even with maxed armor. Previously I ran PXH-1 with 130 speed and jumps, I love playing it, but it lacks long range missiles which i need because my aim is bad.

My prefered build :

x2 Guided missiles
RAC/2 or a clan alternative for close combat.
2x pulse lasers

100 speed, 300 armor, no jumps needed.
only C-bills, I got 17mil of them

Please help!

Mixing all weapon types on a medium mech is going to be very difficult. Mixing Ballistics and LRMs will be difficult as well. This is simply due to weight issues. However, the Crab Hero mech comes to mind, with 2 of each weapon hardpoint type. You could do a mix of it all, but I found it best for MRMs and lasers so far.

As far as medium mech builds with LRMs:
Huntsmen (any): I've built it off a prime and didn't need to change any omnipods, but it's an omnimech so you can build it off any variant type. Two LRM15s backed by four ERMLs. Works great as a jumping LRMer. Supports 6 tons of ammo.
Of course, the Huntsmen can also support SSRMs or ATMs. With a little work, I've had one with an LRM15, an LRM10 and 5 ERMLs, but it's hot.

Arctic Wolf (Prime, A, P): If you want something a little smaller/lighter, the Arctic Wolf is also an option, They can have JJs, ECM and go faster than a Huntsmen. But they are lighter so you need to compromise somewhere. I have one built with ECM, three JJs, two LRM10s and 4 ERMLs. I've also got one set up with ECM, three JJs, four ATM3s and two MPLs (and an AMS). Many other like builds can be created.

Arctic Wolf (Non-Prime, A or P): I don't own these at all, but I'm certain one of them has the potential to fulfill some of what you are looking for.

Bushwacker (Most): Bushwackers tend to come with an assortment of hardpoints. I'm certain you could probably fit a few pulse lasers, an LRM system or two, and a RAC2. Something like this monstrosity could be functional?

Hunchback 4SP, 4J and Gridiron: Two of these could do LRMs and lasers, and the Hero could do the RAC2 with missile.

Shadowhawk: Most of these have missiles in one side torso, ballistics in the other shoulder and a laser hardpoint or two. Refer to the Bushwacker for a concept on it's build.

For the most part, if you want LRMs, concentrate on mixing it with lasers and not ballistics, especially in the medium weight class. Otherwise you are going to be fighting with two or three different firing groups.

Some good mixes of weapons to consider:
(L)(H)(ER)(Snubnose)PPCs and AC10s/5s: These weapons tend to pair up well in my experience. Their velocities and ranges are reasonably similar enough at moderate ranges to sink their damage well. My favorite Uziel has an AC10 and two LPPCs (with two MLs and JJs).
LBx ACs and SRMs/MRMs: This grants you the ultimate splat at closer ranges for mechs that don't have enough dedicated missile slots to just SRM boat. Also can cause a lot of crits from the increase crit chances from the LBxs. Good for brawls, bad for ranges.
Laser weapons and LRMs/SSRMs: These weapons pair up well, no matter the range (depending upon the weapon ranges of couse), because you need to keep your reticle on target to get a missile lock, and lasers need to remain on target to deal their damage. So, while the lasers are shooting you'll naturally gain missile locks (most times). Not to mention lasers are light...

Look for weapons that compliment each other by their behaviors and with reasonable weight/heat levels. Throwing on every weapon you can because you can wont lead to good playable builds. Then again, don't be afraid to experiment. It's a game after all, with little repercussion for experimenting.

#10 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:25 AM

View PostAureliusDean, on 24 April 2019 - 06:01 AM, said:

Twin rac2's and a large laser on a Bushwacker is a lot of fun.... I'm not good at aiming, I take meds that give me the shakes, so I use the LL like a TAG, and spin up the racs when I hit with the laser...

I wouldn't urinate on my Uziel if it was on fire, which it usually is.

Becareful, RACs have velocity, so unless you are relatively close you can still hit with the LL and yet miss with your RACs. However, I've done little experimentation with RACs so I can't actually say how effective that weapon combo is at the moment. Last time I used RACs, I was extremely disappointed. Might have just been how I used them, as I'm also bad with a Gauss with has similar "charge/wind up" like mechanics...

I actually love my Uziels, but they aren't for everyone and aren't exactly prime for tanking damage it seems. Very squishy by most people's standards. I always take JJs with mine, so I'm always trying to jump and shoot (poptart), rather than stand and get shot back. So this leads my Uziels to use weapons that have low burn times, like LLs, LPLs, ACs and PPCs. My two best designs use either an AC10 with LPPCs (and ML backups), or triple LLs and a ERML. Another one that seems to work reasonable (somehow) is my triple AC2 (and two MLs) build. It's slow, but somehow does good damage despite lacking jump... My final two builds has twin Snubnosed PPCs (and a MLs) and twin LBx10s (and two MLs). (Wondering if I can do dual AC10s or even dual UAC10s? Hum...)

If any of those builds specifically interest you, let me know and I can post their builds up. Remember though, the Uziel works best with it's jump to do it's work.

Which Uziel variant do you have? Maybe we can work on making a build for it for you.

#11 AureliusDean

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • 148 posts
  • LocationWiarton, Canada

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:43 AM

Thanks Tesunie.... I just have a free Uzie I won in an event. My statement about it was more toward the OP who is just starting, and I'm sure he's getting wasted in his Uzie. My RAC's are all tuned up on the 'Wacker, she is a pretty fun build. I think the last time I took her out I got three kills and 8 components, it was a hoot!

#12 vasava

Rookie

• 3 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:59 AM

Thanks alot to everyone. I went with Huntsman, i got a few omnipods so i can fit alot of different things and do alot of combinations now, at the cost of the set bonuses.

One final question the academy has a Jagermech that has 2xAC2, it shots one ac after the other and not at the same time, is that a quirk type of thing or i can set it up on every mech?

#13 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:37 AM

View Postvasava, on 25 April 2019 - 03:59 AM, said:

One final question the academy has a Jagermech that has 2xAC2, it shots one ac after the other and not at the same time, is that a quirk type of thing or i can set it up on every mech?

Its probably set to chain fire by default. You can toggle it with backspace. Note that the chainfire delay is a static 0.5s and the cooldown of AC2's is less than that.

Chain fire is typically not worth it since you are better off not delaying your damage output, but it can be useful in some corner cases.

Edited by Gagis, 25 April 2019 - 06:37 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users