431 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 01:49 PM

Welcome to the Faction Play Update PTS Session.

Where: PTS Client in the MechWarrior Online portal.
When: 4PM PDT

It's been a long while since Faction Play has seen any kind of update and this PTS shows the first big step in that direction. This update introduces 2 major component upgrades including the Match Maker and a story driven conflict system. These two systems break down as follows:

Match Maker Update:
In order to balance out gameplay discrepencies between groups and solo players, the new Match Maker algorithm has a new prioritization feature which will put groups against groups at the very beginning of match creation.

What this means is that there is a set amount of time where people enter the queue and the Match Maker holds match creation until that timer expires. This creates one big queue of group and solo players combined. Once the hold timer expires, the Match Maker starts creating matches by putting the biggest groups against each other.

The Match Maker continues matching groups based on their size from largest to smallest until it has exhausted all of the groups in queue. Any odd sized teams are now filled with solo players based on their Elo. The idea is that higher ranked/skilled players will be used to fill the largest group matches first.

Once all group matches are filled, the remaining solo players are matched up using Elo from highest to lowest. This in turn balances out skill level in the remaining matches. Once this is complete, all of the matches are released to the dedicated game servers and the hold timer is started once again.

Story Driven Confict System:
This new feature is the first time that the game will drive conflicts happening in Faction Play. It will allow us to create story lines that play out over the course of a Conflict using a series of Phases. Basically consider a Conflict as a FP Event and that Conflict is make up of mini-events we can call Phases. For example, this PTS is playing out one Conflict consisting of 3 Phases (see image below). Once a conflict completes, the story arc ends and whatever the conflict was about will be resolved (planet switch, or story foretelling.)

Posted Image

What we need tested:
- Can you see the story unfold across phases. (You have a 6hr window for each phase for this test)
- Does the game mode change between phases?
- Play in various sized groups if possible. From 12-man to 2 man.
- Does the War Log counter increase with your faction's wins?
- Does the faction with the most wins actually win and the story progresses accordingly?

Some stuff we know about:
- If you encounter an "Error 63", retry queuing up.
- With a lower volume of people participating in a PTS, it's suggested that you try during your time zone's peak hours. For example, North America would be best played during the hours of 5-9PM PDT.
- Added 4:37PM PDT - The story text is not showing in the UI as planned. (Role Select and Mission description tab.)

Some stuff you don't know about:
- Rewards for all things CB and XP related have been increased by various amounts with a minimum of 15% increase. This includes winning by objective and all in-game activities that give rewards (kill assists etc).

Flow to get into a match:

When you first enter Faction Play, you will be asked to choose your role in the conflict based on the story. (Note: Story is missing, will include here.)

Posted Image

After selecting your role, you will be asked to choose which side of the fight (Faction) you want to fight on.
Posted Image

You are then asked to confirm that these choices are you want to make because you are locked into the Role/Faction until the end of the Conflict.

Phase 1 is all scouting, so you'll need to switch to your scouting drop deck and then click Fight Now. After that you'll be in queue.

Posted Image

#2 denAirwalkerrr

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:48 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 April 2019 - 01:49 PM, said:

based on their Elo

Where ELO comes from?

#3 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 08 April 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

Where ELO comes from?

Your current ranking on your account. PSR from all your matches played in all game modes.

#4 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:57 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 April 2019 - 02:54 PM, said:

Your current ranking on your account. PSR from all your matches played in all game modes.

So it come from PSR, your tier? Does this mean that all Tier 1 players have the same Elo?

#5 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:58 PM

That's quite unexpected. I guess I'll go check out myself :)

View PostAlcom Isst, on 08 April 2019 - 02:57 PM, said:

So it come from PSR, your tier? Does this mean that all Tier 1 players have the same Elo?

Doubt so.

#6 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 02:59 PM

Yes.

#7 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 April 2019 - 02:59 PM, said:

Yes.

Ok, not checking out xD

#8 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:00 PM

View PostdenAirwalkerrr, on 08 April 2019 - 02:58 PM, said:

That's quite unexpected. I guess I'll go check out myself :)

You're maxed.

#9 IronEleven

• PipPipPip
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • Mercenary Rank 3
  • 84 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

Because it works so well in QP! /s

#10 Zyrocenus

• PipPipPip
  • Kapten
  • Kapten
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

ok its 7:03 eastern time which is 4:03 PDT and its not letting me in..... *ahem*

Zyro

#11 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:04 PM

Yes.

Posted Image

#12 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostZyrocenus, on 08 April 2019 - 03:03 PM, said:

ok its 7:03 eastern time which is 4:03 PDT and its not letting me in..... *ahem* Zyro

Login servers were still locked... they're refreshing as I type this.

#13 Zyrocenus

• PipPipPip
  • Kapten
  • Kapten
  • 65 posts
  • LocationOntario Canada

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:06 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 08 April 2019 - 03:06 PM, said:

Login servers were still locked... they're refreshing as I type this.

wow fast reply cheers!

Zyro

#14 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:09 PM

Yes.

That's a problem Paul... there are some seriously bad players at teir 1...

#15 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:10 PM

Seriously now, if we are having basically a new mode, will it hurt to try the actual ELO for the first time for our so called endgame content? Or just a simple ranking based on average matchscore?

Common guys, every mechwarrior and their mothers know by now, tier1 contains players with drastically different level of skill. It's simply not suitable for actual matchmaking. And please, dont tell us "it works for quickplay". Because it doesnt.

#16 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

Elo and Tiers will have to be addressed at a later time. Right now we'd rather see:

Team 1: 12 man
Team 2: 10 man, Elo 3750 player, Elo 3750 player.

Rather than:
Team 1: 12 man
Team 2: 20 man, Elo 900 player, Elo 150 player.

#17 banana peel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 136 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:19 PM

I have no problem with that, if it in fact will be addressed later. Because with our population it will be an issue affecting the balance of the matches.

#18 denAirwalkerrr

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 1,346 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

View Postbanana peel, on 08 April 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

I have no problem with that, if it in fact will be addressed later. Because with our population it will be an issue affecting the balance of the matches.

I think italic is more commonly used for highlighting sarcasm.

#19 CrustyMech

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 148 posts
  • LocationCanada

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:21 PM

I haven't tried PTS as of yet, what is the quickest and least painful way to get this installed? I currently run MW through Steam but I am willing to give stand alone client a try if that is the way it is done.

This is the first thing I have seen on the PTS that has tweaked my interest - I am interested in FP but not in its current form so anything I can do to help improve it I want in...

#20 Jaybles-The-PegLeg-PotatoCaptain

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raider
  • The Raider
  • 383 posts

Posted 08 April 2019 - 03:24 PM

Anyone else made it in yet? First 6 hours look like scouting. Factions are Marik and Steiner.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users