ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:40 AM

View PostCurccu, on 10 April 2019 - 01:50 AM, said:

Well maybe PGI listened "community" which has QQed that all they do is "wanna buy a mechpack" and decided not to do that anymore.
So no new content, no new mech packs.

sounds like a great way to fund a Free 2 Play game...not offering product to purchase.....

#22 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:42 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 April 2019 - 06:40 AM, said:

sounds like a great way to fund a Free 2 Play game...not offering product to purchase.....

They're about to start taking ad revenue from other companies. Loading screens will now be ads for coca-cola products.

#23 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 12 April 2019 - 06:42 AM, said:

They're about to start taking ad revenue from other companies. Loading screens will now be ads for coca-cola products.

well that's good. Coke is classic. Monster would have been so 2010.

#24 N a p e s

• The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 12 April 2019 - 06:57 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 12 April 2019 - 06:51 AM, said:

well that's good. Coke is classic. Monster would have been so 2010.

they could go a step further and have mechs covered in sponsor logos. at least we'd get a proper nascar feel, while we nascar around maps.

#25 R79TCom1 Night Lanner

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 248 posts
  • LocationPacific Northwest, USA

Posted 12 April 2019 - 09:03 AM

Do you think PGI will offer MC for each corporate decal you put on your 'Mech? The more the company pays PGI the more MC you get. Maybe double it if you're a streamer.

I mean, I am pretty sure you are joking, but it's not the worst idea. Especially since the BattleTech universe is full of pop culture references, and current companies or some variation on current companies. When 3086 rolls around in MWO they could have a decal that says "Coca-Cola: 1200 years of being the galaxy's favorite soft drink."

The key would have to be that it led to improvements in game and new content.

Edited by R79TCom1 Night Lanner, 12 April 2019 - 09:19 AM.

#26 Dogstar

• Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 1,722 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationLondon

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:03 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 12 April 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

they could go a step further and have mechs covered in sponsor logos. at least we'd get a proper nascar feel, while we nascar around maps.

what we need is better maps for Nascar - curved banks, spectator seating, pit lanes, etc.

You know if the folks at PGI had a microgram of actual humour between them they would create a literal nascar map and roll it out as a special event every 1st April - I bet there's even a model ready built for them out there somewhere.

#27 crazytimes

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,324 posts

Posted 13 April 2019 - 12:58 AM

PGI lose the multiplayer component of their Battletech license in June you see...

#28 Battlemaster56

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:32 AM

View Postcrazytimes, on 13 April 2019 - 12:58 AM, said:

PGI lose the multiplayer component of their Battletech license in June you see...

Any proof?

#29 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 13 April 2019 - 10:05 AM

View PostBattlemaster56, on 13 April 2019 - 03:32 AM, said:

Any proof?

Their current license expires in 2020, this has been known for a while. The exact date I'm unsure of, I thought it was September which would match nicely with the MW5 release date since they'd no longer be able to "develop" past this point unless they renew the license... support is another issue...

That's probably one of the reasons they're pushing steamworks/modding so hard as a feature. If they don't renew they'll need to rely on mod-makers to push mods out to encourage post dev sales.

#30 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 13 April 2019 - 03:58 PM

View PostN a p e s, on 12 April 2019 - 06:42 AM, said:

Couldn't make it any slower...

#31 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:40 PM

Hmm 35th BattleTech birthday today. Would have been a great day to announce some new mechs....

#32 foefaller

• PipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • 90 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 02:54 PM

View PostR79TCom1 Night Lanner, on 12 April 2019 - 09:03 AM, said:

Do you think PGI will offer MC for each corporate decal you put on your 'Mech? The more the company pays PGI the more MC you get. Maybe double it if you're a streamer.

I mean, I am pretty sure you are joking, but it's not the worst idea. Especially since the BattleTech universe is full of pop culture references, and current companies or some variation on current companies. When 3086 rolls around in MWO they could have a decal that says "Coca-Cola: 1200 years of being the galaxy's favorite soft drink."

The key would have to be that it led to improvements in game and new content.

The Marauder is suppose to have been designed by GM, right? That's a car commercial waiting to happen.

Edited by foefaller, 14 April 2019 - 04:32 PM.

#33 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,672 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 14 April 2019 - 03:34 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 April 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

Their current license expires in 2020, this has been known for a while. The exact date I'm unsure of, I thought it was September which would match nicely with the MW5 release date since they'd no longer be able to "develop" past this point unless they renew the license... support is another issue...

I think they will continue to make mechs up until the date of their license expiration, even after MW5 Mercs is out this year. There are still a handful of classics that PGI could make money off of before they lose licensing rights like the Firemoth, Crusader, Longbow, etc. Might be a large 4 pack or something like a DLC that will support MW:5 post launch that will integrate with MW:O.

#34 Moebius Pi

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Undertaker
  • The Undertaker
  • 211 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:13 PM

View PostVonBruinwald, on 13 April 2019 - 10:05 AM, said:

That's probably one of the reasons they're pushing steamworks/modding so hard as a feature. If they don't renew they'll need to rely on mod-makers to push mods out to encourage post dev sales.

Honestly, the primary reason (other than less stability issues lately for me) I came back very recently was this. I figured it'd be a few months more before MWO went poof with a grace period on MW5 release, and I may as well get some gaming and nostalgia in before it was euthanized for what I'd purchased in the past. I'd like it to go on longer than that, I'm having some fun once again, but I sure as hell am not assuming I'll get another year or two from this.

If profits aren't enough to continue dumping more Dev time (outside of the mod-making angle) into it for a renewal, why would MWO being kept around if no longer working as a funding cash cow for MW5, especially with licenses up?

Keeping MWO going with its ever dwindling player base and lack of consistent fresh blood (with most whales tapping out it seems to boot, if going by comments vs. hard data), I'd be uncharacteristically naive to assume it wouldn't be put to pasture barring a console release and re-invigoration from that (if possible, I could see it happening like it did with many other F2Ps past their PC prime, and wouldn't be against it).

If I hear some rumblings for a conversion of mw5 to PVP, basically, a new complete engine this time for a new MWO), or porting MWO to console, I'd probably have more confidence that I could expect this having full 2020 run. Honestly, I think they'd be better off using the MW5 engine and assets for MWO 2: Electric Boogaloo these days though, as painful as it would be for me and others that dumped wads of cash into it. Plus, some more updated graphics, more likely console release capability and less coding/engine headaches would likely get some renewed interest, vs keeping this old dog limping along with its fused vertebrae and degraded pelvis.

#35 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 14 April 2019 - 05:18 PM

well we got maps (well old but good maps)

i am 100% more happy with additional maps then more mechs

#36 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:10 AM

View PostN a p e s, on 12 April 2019 - 06:57 AM, said:

I approve! Posted Image

#37 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:28 AM

Despite the impending sense of doom, I am tempted to go with one or two more mech set purchases, including the Marauder II.

#38 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 15 April 2019 - 02:39 AM

View PostAnjian, on 15 April 2019 - 02:28 AM, said:

Despite the impending sense of doom, I am tempted to go with one or two more mech set purchases, including the Marauder II.

You could've pre-ordered MW5. You'd have recieved the Marauder II standard pack as well as 4 special mechs. The standard pack doesn't have the ECM mech but it does have the 9 missile hardpoint variant.

#39 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:26 AM

PGI has been very quiet about this. It would be nice if they could at least indicate what the plan is with this...

#40 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 08:31 AM

Kind of weird how their MechPack ramp-up business model means that every time a mech announcement is "delayed" the playerbase has to start wondering "Does this mean they're done?" Because this is what done looks like when you sell things months in advance for a game that can be turned off forever for everyone but only after they stop selling things you wont see for months.

Kind of causes a bit of low grade anxiety, eh?

EDIT: Actually, has a game like MWO been shut off yet? Where you buy special units with cash? I don't think Hawken was quite close enough, and obviously the two big tank competitors are still alive.

Edited by Bombast, 15 April 2019 - 08:34 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users