Mad 2

12 replies to this topic

#1 wrestlerjrh

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 9 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 06:12 AM

With the pre-order releasing in less than two weeks any thought on builds for it?

#2 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 07:30 AM

Just because it can
https://mech.nav-alp...f2138b1_MAD-4HP

#3 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 10:47 PM

Well, hmm... I’m not saying it’s a great idea, but 4LPL/PPCs, an AMS and 170 rockets just happens to fit... Posted Image

Quad MRM30 (fired in pairs) with some laser back up also possible.

#4 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 09 April 2019 - 11:55 PM

Basic Wubs: https://mech.nav-alp...cec4d3ce_MAD-4A

#5 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:07 AM

Thinking of the difference between Mad-3R (or BH2) and the MAD-5A at the moment... just a upgrade in lasers over the smaller MAD, i guess:
https://mech.nav-alp...cad4614d_MAD-3R 3R with Gauss and Light Engine
vs
https://mech.nav-alp...f5607350_MAD-5A 5A with Gauss and Light Engine

or
https://mech.nav-alp...cceb08db_MAD-3R 3R with HGauss and ERML
vs
https://mech.nav-alp...07dfa310_MAD-5A 5A with HGauss and ERLL+ERML
(ignore armor, I just used Max-armor MechDB)

had some fun with the 4A, even though its way too hot with PPCs only :)
https://mech.nav-alp...b2d7701c_MAD-4A
even with better heat management, the Laser + PPC combo didnt click yet:
https://mech.nav-alp...a19ce339_MAD-4A

#6 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 10:49 AM

PPCs being somewhat... sub-optimal on a 100-tonner, laservomit is the obvious thing for the MAD-4A. Since I've got the collectors' version too, I went in two different directions with it: LPL+ERML on LFE355, and 6xLL on STD300. Both seem decent, and both maximize the number of DHS on the chassis with their respective weapon loadouts (running a higher-rated light engine with the 6xLL build actually costs you a sink until you get up to 350, which it lacks the tonnage for).

While there are a couple of things the 4HP can do, I had to try 8xSRM6A first, and was not disappointed. It's pretty beastly. Even though you can't alpha, and have to cool off after chaining a few 4+4 volleys, the crazy damage output is worth it. You can drop 200 damage in about 5 seconds, and with Artemis it's going to be pretty well focused. GG any 'Mech that tries to facetank. This 8xSRM4+4xMPL build was my "plan B," with slightly lower damage-per-cycle (since you still can't alpha safely) but a higher top speed, more cooling, and some lasers for pinpoint.

The first thing I tried with the MAD-5A was HGR+6xMPL, and honestly it was underwhelming. 220m is a pretty terrible range to be trading at without a second HGR to make your alpha speak with some authority; the Fafnir and Annihilator just do Heavy Gaussvomit better, even though they're slower. This 2xLB10X+3xLL+3xML build is what I came up with as an alternative, but I haven't tried it out yet.

I don't have the reinforcements or hero, so that's it for me.

Edited by WrathOfDeadguy, 18 April 2019 - 10:51 AM.

#7 Grammer Pollice

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 23 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

I've been having okay luck with 2 LL, 4 ERML and a pair of Light Gauss. I know, I know, but I think this mech kinda falls into it.

MAD-5A

A pair of light gauss weigh 24 tons, and a heavy weighs 18. But the MAD can run the lights with a light engine, which more than makes up for the weight gap, and you're a lot more ammo efficient per ton as well. This doesn't really come up on something like the Fafnir or Annihilator because they're wanting packing a pair of heavies and quad lights obviously can't alpha, or the Bounty Hunter because it only has one slot.

Your alpha isn't really even that much worse (if it isn't better) until you're right up in their face with that 220 optimal range on the heavy. You've also got flat out better DPS and the quicker charge time.

If you're bored give it a try.

Edited by Grammer Pollice, 18 April 2019 - 06:28 PM.

#8 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:21 AM

View PostGrammer Pollice, on 18 April 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

I've been having okay luck with 2 LL, 4 ERML and a pair of Light Gauss. I know, I know, but I think this mech kinda falls into it.

MAD-5A

I wasn't expecting to see LGauss in any sensible loadout, but this does not look bad at all. I will certainly try it once I get back home next week. Probably needs more ammo and the mandatory single jump jet but that should be doable with a slightly smaller engine. I am impressed.

I am already happy with my 4A with XL350, standard structure and armour and 5LPL and the obvious 4HP with LFE350 and 8ASRM6. All loadouts on the 5A on the other hand have felt lacklustre so this is certainly worth testing.

On my phone so cant share my loadout links, but I am rather proud of that 5LPL 4A and would share it if I could.

EDIT: Modified his build a bit in aweMech AI<82:b1|^g|LG|;Pp<1|P@|P@q<1|i^|i^|i^r41|`?|F@|F@s41|`?|F@|F@t91u91|;PvB0|;Pw:08080

Edited by Gagis, 19 April 2019 - 12:38 AM.

#9 Manei Domini Krigg

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 2,005 posts
  • Locationred team

Posted 19 April 2019 - 01:12 AM

#10 GottFaust

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 13 May 2019 - 11:17 AM

Apart from the 4HP, pretty much all of the other variant has gone MIA over the month since it's launched. Does it suffer from the usual "only one viable variant" problem that a lot of assaults suffer from, or is there some kind of magic you can do with the other variants that most people just haven't found? I've seen Bows3r on the 4L a couple of times, but that's pretty much it.

From my own experimentation: they all seem a bit under-gunned for their size, hitboxes, agility, and survivability outside of the 4HP. Am I missing something?

(yes I know this thread is nearly a month old at this point, but it's still on the front page, so I'd rather not create a new topic)

#11 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 06:56 PM

"One viable variant" is a pretty apt description. The 4HP is the only variant which can carry a full weapon load without installing a gigantic tumor of a gun mount (awesome though it may look) that catches fire from every direction. It also doesn't hurt that it can carry more missiles than any other IS 'Mech, with ammo to use them effectively.

Plus, the Marauder II is way too easy to cockpit out. It's stupid easy. Aim center mass on the torso from head on and you'd have to try not to get a headshot, that's how big the hitbox is. It's basically the entire cockpit window. That is not a great feature to have on a 'Mech with such low twist values.

It isn't the worst assault by any means, but it got screwed over pretty badly. Since only the 4HP does something another 100-tonner can't do better, only the 4HP sees any serious use.

#12 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:16 AM

View PostWrathOfDeadguy, on 16 May 2019 - 06:56 PM, said:

"One viable variant" is a pretty apt description. The 4HP is the only variant which can carry a full weapon load without installing a gigantic tumor of a gun mount (awesome though it may look) that catches fire from every direction.

MAD-AL can do the same thing, actually. MRM40+2xUAC10 FTW.

#13 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,456 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 May 2019 - 03:44 AM

I'm still trying to get something on the 5A and 4A that I can't do on the Mad-3R already.
E.g. dual LGauss or laservom are both already possible on the little brothers.
Even HG with ERML is perfectly valid on them, but not enough power on the big brother.

That said, I feel that the any PPC builds on any Marauders or Mad2's (even the GH improved Gauss+2ERPPC Bounty Hunter) feels underwhelming in todays time with mass AC/SRM boating.
Heck, even a laservomit Marauder feels underwhelming...

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users