Cicada 3M Or Wolfhound Grinner For Stealth Mech?

4 replies to this topic

#1 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:11 PM

I've been debating between two chassis to accomplish the same thing:

The Wolfhound hero Grinner
The CDA-3M

Both can do stealth, both can take ECM, and both can go around 130kph with 4 Medium Pulse Lasers.

So ... which one makes a better mech for stealth skirmishing?

The Wolfhound is slightly smaller, has better hitboxes, but less armor overall (despite its great durability).

The CDA-3M has more armor while accomplishing the same build, but I hear that its hit boxes aren't that great and it's scaled too big for what it is.

Thoughts?

Examples:

Grinner
[smurfy]https://mwo.smurfy-n...c07242aeea8284b[/smurfy]

CDA-3M
[smurfy]https://mwo.smurfy-n...05a965ac41eed73[/smurfy]

#2 Jonathan8883

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 708 posts

Posted 12 April 2019 - 07:36 PM

The Cicada 3M is one of my best-performing mechs. I run 4 medium pulse lasers, plus an LBX2 for long range/harassment/crit-seeking. It's a great mech.

#3 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,695 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:22 AM

Grinner all the way.

#4 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 12:52 AM

Grinner can do five MPL. Cicada has really bad hitboxes.

Grinner all the way.

#5 Maddermax

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 393 posts

Posted 15 April 2019 - 01:45 AM

The grinner build is good, but up your engine to 295 (same size/weight as the 290xl anyway), and move some head armour to the arms, and some back armour to the front. You can happily run 1-4 head armour, and 4-6 back armour. You can shave some armour for a small laser in your arm if two laser types doesn’t annoy you — they are very heat efficient.

When you have some heat gen nodes skilled up, drop two heat sinks for an extra MPL, or one heat sink and shave head/shield arm armour to 0/1 if you prefer. It’s hot, but the extra DPS is worth it when back stabbing.

Just remember that stealth is an occasional thing - don’t brawl with it on (unless facing a streak boat), use it when getting into or out of situations, but turn it off if you want to stay in a fight. So bind the stealth key to something convenient to use on the run (I use F myself).

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users