Let's Face It, Nobody Wanted 1V1/2V2...we Wanted Ffa Deathmatch

54 replies to this topic

#1 Dee Eight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:26 AM

And that's the only way the mode can be revived / saved (and the cheating as was caught recently solved). Five Division buckets... Lights, mediums, heavies, assaults and unlimited. Free For All without teams, 5 to 8 players per match. Randomize the map. Adopt the private lobby code that allows you to launch with uneven teams.

Voila. Done.

#2 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:28 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 16 April 2019 - 09:26 AM, said:

Voila. Done.

OMG someone didn't say "walla".
Posted Image

#3 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:35 AM

FFA is going to last even less than 1v1, the reality is that almost nobody asked for either

#4 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 16 April 2019 - 09:52 AM

I’ve wanted 1v1 from the beginning. Really, on my list of things i enjoy about the game, 1v1 is at the top, followed closely by quick play. Faction play isn’t even on the same page, and 2v2 is in a different book in another room.

I think FFA would be pretty popular for a couple weeks, then tank after the novelty wears off.

#5 UAZ Patriot

Rookie

• 1 posts

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:12 PM

Solaris 1 vs 1 and 2 vs 2 are good game modes, but first 10 matches boost spoils the enjoyment. 10 times win - and you are in the top until the end of the season, 10 times loose and you are in a deep chasm, it is pretty unfair.

#6 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 12:19 PM

Better yet, lets all drop out of a dropship that flies over solaris city. You can control your fall to wherever. Lots of gunz all over the map to pick up, and you can now construct a base around you when land! Battletech Royale!

Lol honestly though i'd play some FFA.

Edited by VigorousApathy, 16 April 2019 - 01:28 PM.

#7 Alcom Isst

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Professional
  • The Professional
  • 935 posts
  • LocationElo Heaven

Posted 16 April 2019 - 02:41 PM

K, so here's how you win a FFA. You hide as much as possible, conserve your armor, and wait out the match until everyone else is dead or almost dead and then you win ggclose.

Why would anyone want that?

Seriously. How do you design a fun FFA game with no recovery mechanics? How do you design MechWarrior Online FFA to discourage hyper-passive and defensive gameplay?

#8 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:03 PM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 16 April 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Seriously. How do you design a fun FFA game with no recovery mechanics? How do you design MechWarrior Online FFA to discourage hyper-passive and defensive gameplay?

Okay so this is a mode I DON'T want...but, for the sake of argument...the way you would correct fortniteism is with a timer. A SHORT timer. First, it should be a full QP spread...24 players at a time. The timer will need to be 2 to 3 minutes, same scoring mechanic as QP with gain/loss staggered according to damage done, number of kills, etc. If more than one player are still alive at the end of the match, however, it counts as a loss for everyone...which means you probably do not want to be a player who fortnited the last match when the next match comes around.

#9 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 16 April 2019 - 03:11 PM

FFA won't work with the engine we're told.

Plus it'll just be people hiding for 15mins till the last minute to fight.

It sound be even less interesting and populated than Solaris is now.

#10 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:55 AM

View PostAlcom Isst, on 16 April 2019 - 02:41 PM, said:

Seriously. How do you design a fun FFA game with no recovery mechanics? How do you design MechWarrior Online FFA to discourage hyper-passive and defensive gameplay

You start taking internal damage after a minute without getting a kill. If you want it to stop, get a kill.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 08:37 PM

View PostHazeclaw, on 16 April 2019 - 09:35 AM, said:

FFA is going to last even less than 1v1, the reality is that almost nobody asked for either

i asked for ffa. mostly because it works in living legends and was fun. people killing eachother over the right to use a repair bay. people camping out at the mech hangers waiting to get the drop on the newer players in the match. duncan fisher's superior mwll commentary.

of course pgi's version of that is likely not going to be as good. like a pure survival last man standing would probably be boring as hell hidefest. but as a mode with respawns, playing for kills, it would be hella fun. people dont hide because kills trump all and you don't get those when hiding. kill stealers paradise.

Edited by LordNothing, 18 April 2019 - 08:45 PM.

#12 Thorn Hallis

• 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 19 April 2019 - 12:57 AM

I certainly didn't wanted FFA (though I'm not against PGI putting recsources into it). I just don't think it could work in the MWO environment.

#13 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 April 2019 - 06:12 AM

While it could be fun, you're wrong. People did want 1v1s and 2v2s. You may not have. Unfortunately PGI said the game engine wouldn't handle the FFA system or something. A FFA could invite campers to hide it out while other pilots get into brawls.

#14 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:52 AM

out of the corner of my eye I thought I saw "Flea Deathmatch"

#15 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:32 AM

View PostGhost Paladin117, on 20 April 2019 - 06:12 AM, said:

A FFA could invite campers to hide it out while other pilots get into brawls.

That's a lazy answer.

Imagine a FFA game mode where you have to reach a minimum total of ~1 kill per ~5 minutes to stay in the game...

Then the only way to stay in the game, is to keep killing other mechs fast enough to not be eliminated by the timer.

Edited by Humble Dexter, 21 April 2019 - 10:04 AM.

#16 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:42 AM

I will say PGI has been very good at missing very OBVIOUS solutions to problems which everyone else sees coming a mile away...

#17 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 10:29 AM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 21 April 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

That's a lazy answer.

Imagine a FFA game mode where you have to reach a minimum total of ~1 kill per ~5 minutes to stay in the game...

Then the only way to stay in the game, is to keep killing other mechs fast enough to not be eliminated by the timer.

No, it's a very realistic answer. Because it would happen. If PGI could implement that it might help sure. Or you would have opportunists hiding until someone is near 1- shot and grabbing up the kill. Also, a likely play style.

#18 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:47 PM

I don't get that one . I can shoot and kill my team buddies in a QP match if I wanted to be that guy

Sooo , how is a Solaris FFA mode incompatible with the engine ?

Edited by Pain G0D, 22 April 2019 - 01:53 PM.

#19 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:12 AM

I like 1v1 and 2v2 Posted Image

#20 Dee Eight

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 6,271 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:44 AM

Simple solution...arena gun turrets which target stationary mechs after a certain period of time.

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users