54 replies to this topic

#41 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 08:41 AM

View PostDee Eight, on 23 April 2019 - 11:44 AM, said:

Simple solution...arena gun turrets which target stationary mechs after a certain period of time.

And the crowd throws tomatoes at them.

#42 TrowaBarton

• Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 08 January 2020 - 07:21 PM

MW4 Vengence's online component was FFA mode and it worked. There was no hiding bc you got unlimited spawns per game iirc. If you hid there was no point to playing. If you camped you would run out of LRMS. or somebody would rush you bc they had a spawn immediately after.

It worked on number of kills, so basically people would rush at eachother frantically and there was some pretty crazy gameplay. I used to dump all my missles then death from above people or jump down and alpha strike. Sometimes two players would attack a mech and then fight eachother.

Imo, its better than the instant action option there is now, bc you will never have 5 mechs rush you at once a minute after you drop. You would rarely have 2 mechs on you, so it is the closest thing to a 1 on 1 situation in a wide map that is possible in this game. If they did it PGI should just cut 1/3 of the solaris city map or the river city map or mining collective map or use one of the smaller maps. TBH it was the main reason I got interested in MWO, bc I thought they would have that mode or eventually get it.

#43 Damnedtroll

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 676 posts
  • LocationFrog land of Quebec

Posted 11 January 2020 - 05:36 PM

A trial of possession mode for clan pilots would be great for Solaris, one player against 4 other, one at a time, and you get a Clan ranking. Sad that lore doesn't exist in the game...

#44 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 20 January 2020 - 11:30 AM

Solaris should never have happened - full stop.

Utter waste of resources that would have been better spent on improving FP and QP, adding new maps, getting rid of bugs and engaging the majority of the populace with what they wanted, not what PGI gave us.

#45 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:50 AM

View PostDamnedtroll, on 11 January 2020 - 05:36 PM, said:

A trial of possession mode for clan pilots would be great for Solaris, one player against 4 other, one at a time, and you get a Clan ranking. Sad that lore doesn't exist in the game...

You really thought that one out well didn't you?

After a solid 1v1, mechs are stuffed. There is no perceivable way a 1 v 4 mode would ever work within MWO.

#46 50 50

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 21 January 2020 - 02:13 PM

View PostDionnsai, on 25 April 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

My guess would be like many things in the current game engine, it's coded around a 2 team setup, red team blue team and anything bigger than that would require them to dig deep and re-code a large amount.

I believe this is the big blocker.
However I do wonder if there might be a sneaky way around it as a free for all is really Team 'Me' vs Team 'Everyone Else'.

Personally I think it would be pretty interesting to have something like an 8 player FFA and use the mechs selected for each division like a 7 mech drop deck.
That would add a a layer of planning in terms of selecting which mech to drop 1st through 7th and provides a longer and very different game experience.

In regards to players hiding to try and survive longer there might be some interesting options.
In Flatout 2 there is a FFA demolition derby mode which uses a timer to disqualify you from the match. You can reset the timer by crashing into another player.
Could do something similar and require players to be dealing damage or they 'auto eject'.
Or perhaps in more of an interactive sort of approach where players that have not dealt damage within the time limit could be marked with a bounty and lit up on the mini map .... along with a bit of heckling from Duncan Fisher.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 January 2020 - 02:50 AM, said:

You really thought that one out well didn't you?

After a solid 1v1, mechs are stuffed. There is no perceivable way a 1 v 4 mode would ever work within MWO.

Probably meant 'Trial of Position'.
1 at a time was the suggestion and it's a bit more like a survival mode.
1 player, 1 mech, the other player gets 2+ (like a drop deck).
Might be able to make it work with some sort of tonnage limit on the drop deck and it's more about how far can you get in the trial.
More of a role playing aspect for clans and it can be simulated in a private match as various Clan units have done.

Edited by 50 50, 21 January 2020 - 02:29 PM.

#47 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 10 February 2020 - 07:37 PM

less lore more war

#48 Buster Machine 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • CS 2021 Bronze Champ
  • 224 posts
  • LocationRepping TharHes Industries on a laptop

Posted 18 February 2020 - 10:38 PM

I wanted a FFA Deathmatch from the Solaris update as well.

1v1 should have been as a duel dropdown option in your friends list.

#49 skyfetcher

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 6 posts

Posted 16 June 2020 - 08:26 AM

I'd like both and think they'd both fit in the game. I'd say the execution as it is now comes off really sloppy when there are some really nice possibilities that could be done. But that would be another post I think, and that would just be a dreamer's... dream.

Just adding/removing/tweaking what's there won't fix the problem. The way it's executed needs to change, I think.

#50 gGaAlLaAcCtTrRoOnN

Rookie

• 2 posts

Posted 16 July 2020 - 01:00 PM

100% agree. FFA DM is a killer game mode. It's exactly what the game needs. 1v1 Solaris is boring. It's almost not even worth waiting for the game to load/unload and all that just to kill one mech. Best modes are team DM and FFA DM. They always have been the best modes going all the way back to MW2. I also like modes with a HQ that can be destroyed or capped.

#51 Void Angel

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Marauder
  • The Marauder
  • 6,573 posts
  • LocationParanoiaville

Posted 18 July 2020 - 02:38 AM

Ya know, it's always illuminating to see the number of Mechwarrior Online players who are practicing statisticians with a polling agency at their disposal. =]

#52 Fae Puka

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 168 posts

Posted 19 July 2020 - 08:47 AM

View PostgGaAlLaAcCtTrRoOnN, on 16 July 2020 - 01:00 PM, said:

100% agree. FFA DM is a killer game mode. It's exactly what the game needs. 1v1 Solaris is boring. It's almost not even worth waiting for the game to load/unload and all that just to kill one mech. Best modes are team DM and FFA DM. They always have been the best modes going all the way back to MW2. I also like modes with a HQ that can be destroyed or capped.

If by 100% agree you mean you agree then that's your opinion and good luck with that; however, if you mean 100% of all players agree, then I'm sorry, MORI hasn't been to my house to ask my opinion . . . . Closer to the truth, only a minority of players (greater than 1% and less than 50%) most likely even considered Solaris as a viable route. S7 was another pipe dream from PGI who were trying to move MWO towards an e-sport and ploughed loads of development money into it, rather than rework QP and make FP something meaningful which was what most people voiced in the forums. However, here we sit with slashed back player numbers, staring into the abyss . . .

#53 NocturnalBeast

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 3,685 posts
  • LocationDusting off my Mechs.

Posted 26 July 2020 - 10:04 PM

The problem is not 1V1 , or 2V2, it is the fact that Mechs in MWO are balanced for 12v12. Some of those Mechs that need overly generous quirks to be able to be viable in 12v12, end up being overpowering in a 1v1, or 2v2 situation. Also, the lack of melee combat in MWO makes Solaris underwhelming compared to lore / tabletop, even HBS BATTLETECH.

Edited by Ed Steele, 26 July 2020 - 10:04 PM.

#54 Alreech

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • Little Helper
  • 1,649 posts

Posted 28 July 2020 - 12:38 PM

View PostEd Steele, on 26 July 2020 - 10:04 PM, said:

The problem is not 1V1 , or 2V2, it is the fact that Mechs in MWO are balanced for 12v12. Some of those Mechs that need overly generous quirks to be able to be viable in 12v12, end up being overpowering in a 1v1, or 2v2 situation.

I beg to disagree.
You can customized your Mechs for 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 Solaris.

My top 3 reasons why most MWO players don't play Solaris:
  • Most Players don't bother with customizing their Mechs for Solaris, it's too much work.
  • 1 vs 1 or 2 vs 2 is also too competetive and the tiers to balanced
  • In 12 vs 12 you can use your teammates as meatshield and can score with kill stealing / damage spamming / kill assists.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users