Hibernal Rift Is To Bright...

59 replies to this topic

#21 Vellron2005

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blood-Eye
  • The Blood-Eye
  • 5,444 posts
  • LocationIn the mechbay, telling the techs to put extra LRM ammo on.

Posted 16 April 2019 - 11:13 PM

View PostXarub, on 16 April 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

I whish you would make maps that don't require us to run heat vision all the time if we don't want to get snow blind. If there is a snow storm it makes sense but running heatvision on a clear bright day?

The map physically hurts my eyes until I activate heat vision as "sunglasses". That is a terrible design choice.

[EDIT:] Additionally I wanted to mention that currently no Subforum for the new map in this forum exists. I imagine that there is more "feedback" coming and opening one would make sense. [/EDIT]

Agreed! Total white-out and eye-hurting glare.

#22 RumpledMunky

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 50 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:12 AM

I use thermal vision on snow maps for contrast and to see anything when you have the wind particle snow effect blowing in your face. Night vision is WORSE than normal even at night. Both modes could definitely use some work. Maybe a 'white hot'/'black hot' toggle for thermal would help.

#23 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:23 AM

Agreed, I thought the same (snow blind...). I like Cold Maps, but hibernal rift is the first snow-map where I have Problems. This map is just too bright. There are places on the map wehre i can't see the Terrain contoures.

#24 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 01:59 AM

By the way….. here's the Right Soundtrack for the map: Snowblind: https://youtu.be/DECxluN8OZM

#25 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:23 AM

View PostSnowhawk, on 17 April 2019 - 01:23 AM, said:

Agreed, I thought the same (snow blind...). I like Cold Maps, but hibernal rift is the first snow-map where I have Problems. This map is just too bright. There are places on the map wehre i can't see the Terrain contoures.

Aren't Snowhawk supposed to be ... ya know ... hawk eyes in the snow see it all kinda guy? :)

But anyway, yeah ... this map is eye cancer.

#26 Athom83

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:34 AM

View PostXarub, on 16 April 2019 - 12:14 PM, said:

I whish you would make maps that don't require us to run heat vision all the time if we don't want to get snow blind. If there is a snow storm it makes sense but running heatvision on a clear bright day?

The map physically hurts my eyes until I activate heat vision as "sunglasses". That is a terrible design choice.

I mean... if you've ever been in a really snowy place on a clear and bright day... that's pretty realistic.

#27 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 17 April 2019 - 04:35 AM

View PostAthom83, on 17 April 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

I mean... if you've ever been in a really snowy place on a clear and bright day... that's pretty realistic.

I live in Russia. And no its not.

#28 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:05 AM

Yeah couple games on the map now.

Base brightness is just too much. Worse than the other snow maps for sure. I'm having to turn settings down just for that map and I have no issue on any other.

#29 R Valentine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Heavy Lifter
  • Heavy Lifter
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:17 AM

Is polarized cockpit glass lostech? Because this map is ridiculous.

#30 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:52 AM

Have not played it by myself yet but watched some streams and i agree that it looks way too bright. It hurt my eyes and that's quite rare when i watch streams/videos. So i don't think that adjusting gamma should be the solution.

I guess the main problem is the sky/background which kills the contrast to the actual geometry.

Just compare it to Polar Highlands where there is a nice blueish sky which provides vastly more contrast than the bright white sky in Hibernal Rift.

Edited by Daggett, 17 April 2019 - 05:53 AM.

#31 Alienized

• Rage
  • Rage
  • 3,781 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:27 AM

View PostDaggett, on 17 April 2019 - 05:52 AM, said:

Have not played it by myself yet but watched some streams and i agree that it looks way too bright. It hurt my eyes and that's quite rare when i watch streams/videos. So i don't think that adjusting gamma should be the solution.

I guess the main problem is the sky/background which kills the contrast to the actual geometry.

i hope for a hesperus 2 ish sky, violet :> or bright red or something greenish? :|

#32 Athom83

• The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 2,529 posts
  • LocationTFS Aurora, 1000km up.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:28 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 17 April 2019 - 04:35 AM, said:

I live in Russia. And no its not.

I live in Michigan, yea it is.

#33 Anjian

• FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 3,735 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:29 AM

Indeed, a darker sky would be better.

#34 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 08:36 AM

View PostRumpledMunky, on 17 April 2019 - 01:12 AM, said:

I use thermal vision on snow maps for contrast and to see anything when you have the wind particle snow effect blowing in your face. Night vision is WORSE than normal even at night. Both modes could definitely use some work. Maybe a 'white hot'/'black hot' toggle for thermal would help.

I used to do the same thing. Thermal allows you to see terrain better, but mechs are often more visible (and thus easier to notice and target) in regular vision mode because they appear black against the white terrain due to how bright the snow is.

Unless of course weather reduces visibility, in which case no vision mode really helps you.

#35 Ensaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 831 posts
  • LocationOn a frozen rock .....

Posted 17 April 2019 - 02:55 PM

View PostAthom83, on 17 April 2019 - 04:34 AM, said:

Not even close to realistic, unless you are in the Arctic.....

This is a game, and the brightness, put simply... SUCKS.

Looks like it CAN be a good map... but the brightness has to go... and not with the May patch....like, this week.

How is it no one at PGI gets embarrassed for issuing stuff like this? It's obvious either no one checked the map out prior to release, or someone's gamma and brightness are hosed......like I asked... WHY is no one embarrassed. .I certainly would be.....

#36 Helsbane

• The Determined
  • The Determined
  • 1,102 posts
  • LocationThe frozen hell that is Wisconsin.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:01 PM

I live in Wisconsin. It snows here up to 7 months of the year and I've never seen it get anywhere nearly as bright as on this new map. Blowing snow can obscure things a little, but whiting out the entire screen for the sake of 'immersion' is just plain stupid.

#37 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:20 PM

Ontario here reporting in, we don't get snowblind this dang much!

#38 50 50

• 2,145 posts
  • LocationTo Nova or not to Nova. That is the question.

Posted 17 April 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostAnjian, on 17 April 2019 - 06:29 AM, said:

Indeed, a darker sky would be better.

The night sky with the Aurora from Frozen City Night (classic) would look pretty good on this map.

#39 Mechteric

• Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 7,308 posts
  • LocationRTP, NC

Posted 17 April 2019 - 05:43 PM

I'm ok with a map that needs thermal vision to get the best out of it... but its pretty ridiculous if I have to switch to night vision just to prevent damage to my cornea

#40 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 17 April 2019 - 06:17 PM

Can snow blindness happen in real life? Sure.

Should it be happening on this map? No. This is a game, and mech cockpits should have tinting, or the mech helmet should have sun visors like fighter pilots do. I agree the brightness is pulling some of the enjoyment from this map. Same thing happens on Frozen City Classic.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users