Light Ppcs Suck

115 replies to this topic

#1 VirtualRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:04 PM

So I've been going a few rounds on the Uziel hero (thanks dropship pack?), which has a HSL quirk for light ppc.

They still suck. Even though I can fire four of them near constantly the entire match, around 400dmg is the best I have accomplished.

They need a buff to either one of two things, damage or range & velocity. Atleast light gauss has higher range vs regular gauss, but a light ppc is just a crappy ppc.

Give it ERPPC velocity and range atleast if your not going to change the damage.
Or increase the damage to 7 I think would be good. But as they are now, they're just really really bad.

#2 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:14 PM

I agree they could use a buff to range, but my Crab with 4 light PPCs can do quite well. Across 11 matches in the last month I had 9 wins/ 2 losses with it. 13 kills, Average of 300 damage, and 500 top damage.

So they aren't THAT bad.

#3 MechaBattler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 01:40 PM

I'd like to see them get a lower cooldown. Honestly they could all use less heat.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:04 PM

LPPC: -1.0s cooldown, other stats unchanged

PPC: -0.5 heat, +200 m/s velocity

SNPPC: -1.0 heat (match PPC), +200 m/s velocity

HPPC: -0.5 heat, +100 m/s velocity

ERPPC: -1.0 heat, +300 m/s velocity

CERPPC: -0.5s cooldown

#5 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:20 PM

Only problem with light ppcs is they have the same ghost heat limit as normal ppcs AND are on the same ghost heat limit as the other ppcs, other than that they are actually pretty good alternatives to regular ppcs or essentially creating a heavy ppc that fires faster (ppc+lightppc).

#6 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:24 PM

In MW4 they had the PPC recharger. Are those actually a thing in lore or just something they made up?

#7 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:26 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 18 April 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

In MW4 they had the PPC recharger. Are those actually a thing in lore or just something they made up?

It's just made up.

Also note that MekTek for some reason made LPPCs into a Clan weapon (and they weighed 5 tons instead of 3).

#8 Xeno Phalcon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:30 PM

View PostMechaBattler, on 18 April 2019 - 02:24 PM, said:

Recharger iv never heard of, but we did have the canonical ppc 'capacitor' http://www.sarna.net...i/PPC_Capacitor

#9 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:37 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

I would like to see the GH limit for lppc increased as well but these are good.

#10 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostTheArisen, on 18 April 2019 - 02:37 PM, said:

I would like to see the GH limit for lppc increased as well but these are good.

I deliberately avoided that to serve as a counter-balance to their drastically shorter cooldown.

#11 Gas Guzzler

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 14,246 posts
  • LocationCalifornia Central Coast

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2019 - 02:04 PM, said:

I'd prefer they keep LPPC/PPC/HPPC velocity consistent personally...

#12 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 03:12 PM

i completely agree, while they are a funny weapon (6-7 LPPCs on IS heavy/assault chainfired), they lack both heat efficiency and tonnage efficiency while not bringing a justifiable strength. They have way to little PPFLD cause of very restricted GH, are far less reliable at nailing 1 component (even with fairly centralized mounts its rare to land all shots on a single component of a moving enemy), have very low velocity (for a PPFLD weapon that should be used optimally at ~600m) and that im aware of, have just no upsides over any other weapon.

Right now the PPCs that are truly useful and effective are IS heavys because of the 30 PPFLD which at least compensates for their other issues (bad DPS, hot as hell, ect), and cERPPCs on the clam side. The latter of which is still a bad weapon, but on a few quirked mechs (warhawk mostly), they can spit out some good DPS, and have enough velocity to actually engage near their max range with decent reliability (unlike clam uacs which have very good max ranges, but lack velocity to accurately target moving targets at 600-700m). the rest is either super ultra niche (snubs arent THAT bad paired with AC20 as a snapshot gun), or useless like regulart PPCs which fire a teeny bit faster then heavys at the cost of having negligible PPFLD (its not like anything truly benefits from the minor cooldown increase, PPCs arent DPS weapons anyway).

So yeah, outside of dual HPPC and clam ERPPC+boatloads of DHS, dont bother using PPCs on this game (except maybee alongside AC5/10s as those are sorta similar velocity/role).

#13 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:39 PM

View PostVirtualRiot, on 18 April 2019 - 01:04 PM, said:

So I've been going a few rounds on the Uziel hero (thanks dropship pack?), which has a HSL quirk for light ppc.

They still suck. Even though I can fire four of them near constantly the entire match, around 400dmg is the best I have accomplished.

They need a buff to either one of two things, damage or range & velocity. Atleast light gauss has higher range vs regular gauss, but a light ppc is just a crappy ppc.

Give it ERPPC velocity and range atleast if your not going to change the damage.
Or increase the damage to 7 I think would be good. But as they are now, they're just really really bad.

Machinegun em....don't alpha them

#14 VirtualRiot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 201 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 18 April 2019 - 05:39 PM, said:

Machinegun em....don't alpha them

Why? No benefit over alphaing all 4 at once. Don't think the increased exposure time is worth the cockpit shake on the enemy in 90% of situations.

#15 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:50 PM

View PostVirtualRiot, on 18 April 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

Why? No benefit over alphaing all 4 at once. Don't think the increased exposure time is worth the cockpit shake on the enemy in 90% of situations.

Benefit is other players don't like that sound of getting hit by PPC's they will back off instead of shooting you back 90% of the time. Instead of a constant splat...they hear splat splat splat splat...it's like a mental game. Sort of like when you get hit with Guass or Machinegun, most players panic. Not all but most.

#16 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 05:59 PM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 18 April 2019 - 05:50 PM, said:

Benefit is other players don't like that sound of getting hit by PPC's they will back off instead of shooting you back 90% of the time. Instead of a constant splat...they hear splat splat splat splat...it's like a mental game. Sort of like when you get hit with Guass or Machinegun, most players panic. Not all but most.

Only works against the ignorant, though. I don't like the usefulness of a weapon being predicated upon how good or bad the opponent is, it should be good at something regardless of that.

#17 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:18 PM

Light ppcs weigh less and cause less heat. Are we saying we should make lppc the only viable ppc with no drawbacks?
Each ppc has its role, strength and weakneses.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostVariant1, on 18 April 2019 - 06:18 PM, said:

Light ppcs weigh less and cause less heat. Are we saying we should make lppc the only viable ppc with no drawbacks?
Each ppc has its role, strength and weakneses.

The LPPC has a lower damage per heat ratio than the PPC and HPPC.

Merely being lighter isn't gonna help when it just can't put out enough damage to justify its existence over an [ER]Medium Laser.

#19 Variant1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,148 posts

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:30 PM

View PostFupDup, on 18 April 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

The LPPC has a lower damage per heat ratio than the PPC and HPPC.

Merely being lighter isn't gonna help when it just can't put out enough damage to justify its existence over an [ER]Medium Laser.

Lppc is 5 dmg for 5 heat, ppc is 10 for 10 unquirked
Lppc weigh 3 tons vs ppc 7 tons. Not to mention the med laser has burn time vs the ppfld of the lppc that also outranges it
Its all about options. Obviously the lppc is more intended for lighter weight tonnages to fit other equipment/weapons

#20 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 18 April 2019 - 06:37 PM

View PostY E O N N E, on 18 April 2019 - 05:59 PM, said:

Only works against the ignorant, though. I don't like the usefulness of a weapon being predicated upon how good or bad the opponent is, it should be good at something regardless of that.

again will work 90%, you just reinforced my statement

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users