Is The Corgi Technically Canon?

17 replies to this topic

#1 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:15 PM

There was an injunction that 'mechs created for MWO were canon in Battletech lore.

If so, where does that leave the Corgi?

It has 3D models, specs, and even an active 'mech page in the MWO official page:
https://mwomercs.com/corgi

Sure, the specs are a bit off. A 12 ton LBX-20 on a 10-ton 'mech? Mixed tech (Clan and IS weapons) before Word of Blake?Beagle Active Probe AND http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Bloodhound_Active_Probe ?

... but the LBX never existed in BT lore in the first place, lets remember. So anything is possible. In theory. Moreso, it was never specifically excluded from any coinsiderations.

Posted Image

Posted Image

I would say the Corgi is technically a part of BT canon. Just as giant dinosaurs and birdlike aliens.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 03:58 PM

As an April Fool's joke it's as canonical as the Alliance Battlemech.

http://www.sarna.net...nce_(BattleMech)

#3 Bombast

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 05:01 PM

The Corgi is absolutely not canon. I'm also suspicious of the claim that PGI has 'an injunction' to affect lore without input from CGL, which is effectively the canon keeper.

#4 jjm1

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hell Fork
  • Hell Fork
  • 1,384 posts

Posted 19 December 2018 - 11:09 PM

Yes

#5 Jack Shayu Walker

• The God
  • The God
  • 1,451 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 05:33 PM

I'm sorry, did you just say LB-X Autocannons aren't canon? Posted Image

#6 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:12 PM

View PostJack Shayu Walker, on 20 December 2018 - 05:33 PM, said:

I'm sorry, did you just say LB-X Autocannons aren't canon? Posted Image

I think he was referring to an IS 12 ton LB 20-X autocannon.

Of which there's no such thing.
Its 14 tons.

#7 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 December 2018 - 09:22 PM

Or at least I hope so.
----------------------
(Then again PGI tried to tell me that Rocket Launchers weren't invented until after 3050.)
Spoiler

Edited by Koniving, 20 December 2018 - 09:25 PM.

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,367 posts

Posted 22 December 2018 - 12:25 PM

1.) The Corgi is a joke 2.) CGL has stated that they cannot use any PGI original mechs because the Battletech Table Top (owed by Topps) and the Mechwarrior PC game (owned by Microsoft) are technically 2 separate properties that only share the same universes (thank FASA for that one) so PGI mechs will never trump CGL lore.

Nothing is stopping fans from creating fan builds of course.

#9 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 26 December 2018 - 06:16 PM

There are things like this which say the stories for hero mechs and so on are cannon, and I had read something to the effect that all PGI original mechs are canon.

https://bg.battletec...p?topic=52440.0

Original Question: "does your work on MWO and HBS-BT mean the Hero 'Mech fluff...are canonical[" [emphasis mine]
Randall's answer: "For the Hero 'Mechs, absolutely. And that is the intention with the HBS campaign storyline as well."
https://community.ba...ms/threads/1285
"As I mentioned in the other thread, the fiction relating to the MWO Hero BattleMechs are canon. I was making no reference to MWO as a whole."

Given that all MWO mechs have hero variants that would mean PGI originals are canon.

And what I meant that PGI LB-X aren't canon its because of this:

Taking advantage of advanced materials such as Endo Steel, the company was able to reduce the weight of the weapon for only a slight increase in bulk and mated it with the advanced Mercury-VII targeting system to boost its effective range. The most notable feature of the weapon was its ability to fire both standard HEAP rounds and a specialized anti-'Mech cluster round.[5][6]

http://www.sarna.net...LB-X_Autocannon

So its suppossed to be able to fire normal rounds and be lighter than standard ACs

#10 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 06:28 AM

View PostNimoStar, on 26 December 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

There are things like this which say the stories for hero mechs and so on are cannon, and I had read something to the effect that all PGI original mechs are canon.

Given that all MWO mechs have hero variants that would mean PGI originals are canon.

You are reading so much deeper into that than you should.

The Corgi is a joke mech, and is not canon. It's not even a legal build.

So its suppossed to be able to fire normal rounds and be lighter than standard ACs

Oh for ***** sake. Engine limitations don't drive canonicity.

#11 NimoStar

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • 216 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:05 PM

It's not even a legal build.

And the Urbanmech has engines that have negative tonnage...

Oh for ***** sake. Engine limitations don't drive canonicity.

No, but quite the opposite. The """engine limitations""" make MWO lb-x not like the canon one.

#12 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 27 December 2018 - 12:36 PM

View PostNimoStar, on 27 December 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

That's just a consequence of how the MechLab does the tonnage behind the scenes. It doesn't actually have negative weight, it's just a crude way to compensate for PGI not thinking very far ahead when they designed this.

No, but quite the opposite. The """engine limitations""" make MWO lb-x not like the canon one.

Yes it is. We're just experiencing a shortage of LB-X compliant solid munitions.

Even if we decided the current MWO LB-X (And every single Mechwarrior game LB-X system, actually, unless I'm forgetting something) isn't canon, that doesn't mean the Corgi is ok.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 28 December 2018 - 12:34 PM

View PostNimoStar, on 26 December 2018 - 06:16 PM, said:

I know you mean MWO's LB-X isn't like the canonical versions, but neither is the Sarna.net description.

So here's the issue with the Sarna entry.
Spoiler

--------

All hero mechs that make it into the game are canon.
Corgi is not in game.

Neither is the Titan class mech of 1,000+ tons with a foot the size of an Atlas.
Or the 360 degree engine-less golden Urbanmech mounted on the trailer of a semi with twin AC/20s.
These didn't even get Sarna.net pages, they are clearly jokes.

---

This said, Corgi is actually based on something that is canon.
http://www.sarna.net...of_Clan_Spaniel
A cartoon in universe that's a popular kid's TV show.

So don't expect to haul this cartoon mech piloted by a cartoon dog named Pembroke to be fighting in any battles any time soon.

Edited by Koniving, 28 December 2018 - 12:49 PM.

#14 TheSwingingDragon

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 January 2019 - 04:37 PM

As others have said - Corgi isn't Canon - it was an April Fools joke, and I own all 3 of the "Corgi mechs,"and they are all a cockpit ornament.

#15 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 23 February 2019 - 06:15 PM

Wait for the urban mech to be re-skined. I'd buy it. And if that doesn't work rumors are mw5 will support mods.

#16 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,694 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 24 February 2019 - 01:42 AM

View PostNimoStar, on 27 December 2018 - 12:05 PM, said:

Check the battlemech design rules in tabletop. Each mech has ten "free" heat sinks that do not count against its' tonnage (but may need to be placed on the chassis slots if your engine rating is under 250). PGI solved that by subtracting their tonnage from the engine itself.

#17 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 February 2019 - 10:42 AM

The heatsinks that come with an engine are weight free as they are, effectively, "part" of the engine. Though the placement on the mech is actually meant to indicate that they are fragile and can be broken. Heatsinks beyond the free ones weigh one ton because of the extra coolant, pipes, additional pump, etc.. It does kinda break logic so it isn't something to think too hard about.

Posted Image
All "weight free" heatsinks, technically, are only permitted to be mounted in torsos, legs, or the head. They're not supposed to be mounted in arms. Mounting in legs is supposed to reflect a liquid intake that can pump an additional fluid to help cool faster. (They never mention how the water is ejected, so I kinda like to imagine a water jet in the back that spews it in a steamy mess.)

Side note: I recently did a number of scale images. Since we're talking about Urbies.
Posted Image
(The Asuka is a made up 15 ton Security Mech being designed and talked about in the "You have 5.5 tons" thread.) (MWO heights taken from the MWO Rescale chart at the tallest non-antennae point).
(A general trend in Battletech: Mechs that come with XL engines, DHS, etc... basically "bulky" weight saving equipment... are bigger than non-carriers of such tech. Their height also varies by generation, the Urbie height here is the UM-R60)

Edited by Koniving, 24 February 2019 - 10:52 AM.

#18 Ch_R0me

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Named
  • The Named
  • 609 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationIn DireStar with Heavy Naval PPC

Posted 21 April 2019 - 11:36 PM

In my opinion: yes, due to fact that PGI depicted it as a element of The Adventures of Clan Spaniel, the in-lore cartoon for Clan merchant castes children, which makes sense.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users