17 replies to this topic

#1 giggitygiggitygoo

• Pip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 13 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 06:33 PM

Hey mechwarriors

Here’s a fun idea for Solaris, I want to know what you think. I posted this idea over on outreach, but wanted to see what the brown sea thought about it as well.

Merata Kell (Yes that Kcom dude who repeatedly kicks us all in the junk in Solaris) has been having a hell of a time finding something to fight Annihilators in Div 1 (excluding other annihilators). He’s screwed around with IV4’s, Victors, Direwolves, all sorts of stuff trying to find a way to play that Div without doing the same old boring Anni v. Anni stuff. This got us thinking, how cool would it be if there was a separate queue in Solaris that you could voluntarily go into. Yes, I know more buckets = bad for the game, but just hear me out.

Going into this queue would allow pilots to see your mech & your loadout, but not your pilot name or ELO, and to choose to fight you specifically with whatever they decide to bring. Since the pilot choosing to fight you has the obvious advantage of building a specific counter to your mech, the ELO gains/losses for these matches would be reduced to 1/3 or 1/4 of normal. Rather than having one queue per Div for this, it could simply be a single list and when you click on an opponent in the queue it forces you to choose a mech from the same Div.

The purpose of this would be to help give variance to the meta mechs brought into each division. We Kcom folks love to drop Solaris and love to bring strange mechs to see how they fare, but we’re also a bunch of ELO-greedy ********. Having a system like this in place for people to test mech loadouts against each other with minimal ELO change would help people see what works for them and what doesn’t, rather than everyone just having to run the same old meta just to be safe. And yes, you could accomplish the same thing with lobby drops against your buddies, but you get a much more realistic feel for how a mech will perform by simply going live with it.

I know this is something the PGI overlords are never likely to introduce, but what do you all think?

#2 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 07:30 PM

Not digging the idea.
Who's going to dump equipment and c-bills into a mech for a one time use against an unknown player. With how the solaris rewards are for a single game (even if it's a win) i don't see why i would want "waste" time, resources and effort for that.
Would much rather have an free for all battle royal.

#3 Merata Kell

• Pip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 19 posts

Posted 21 April 2019 - 08:43 PM

I would be happy if that eighth queue didn't even give ELO but instead offered extra c-bills. And if PGI decided to ban 'mechs from divisions like the ANH in D1, they could be placed in the eighth queue for people that really wanted to play them.

#4 Thorn Hallis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,902 posts
  • LocationUnited States of Paranoia

Posted 21 April 2019 - 09:56 PM

Why not put the Annis in a seperate division? Div A, Div 0, whatever you call it.

#5 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 06:32 AM

I'm not sure how I feel about it but I would definitely give it a shot. The Anni is just going to be the dominate mech. There are alternatives, just not as good.

#6 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 08:12 AM

Is that where kcom went too? Was wondering what hole Patricia Knell and his goons went to.

#7 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 10:07 AM

you can beat the anni with the madcat, but you will 100% lose to anything else that will go faster than the anni

Edit: I'll hit u up on discord and show ya.

Edited by C H E E K I E Z, 22 April 2019 - 10:08 AM.

#8 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 April 2019 - 11:20 AM

Really not a fan of yet another bucket. It's bad enough already.

Plus there are hole in this like avoidance, locking of tiers and so on.

Wanna test a build? Grab a mate and get into a private lobby... Worked for everyone else for 6 years Posted Image

#9 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 22 April 2019 - 01:54 PM

Hmm just spitballing here, thought about this one a bit.

Maybe the bucket could be avoided completely.

Trying to think of a way to have unranked matches in the regular que, same buckets. The most logical solution I can think of would be to have a dialogue box pop up before dropping to specify whether or not you want to be ranked on the next match.

For example; I click division 1 and drop. A window pops up asking If i want the match ranked. If i specify unranked, then both myself and the opponent will not have ELO affected by the drop. If both myself and the opponent specify that we want a ranked match, the drop is ranked.

This way, people can run crazy builds without worrying about ELO, and then jump back in the try-hard mechs for ranked matches.

#10 Extra Guac

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 201 posts

Posted 22 April 2019 - 02:42 PM

It's an interesting idea, although it would split the population even more. Maybe if it were balanced out by merging some of the middle tiers together.

It sounds like there's a relatively small group of players who want to test some new builds out, so private lobby might be the answer.

Annihilators need some Solaris-specific nerfs until they're on par with the rest of tier 1. Removing the -10% heat gen quirk might do it.

#11 Lurm God

• PipPipPip
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • CS 2022 Gold Champ
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:10 AM

I found correctly fit dire wolves to be capable of beating the annihilator in 1v1. You have to not miss though as the annihilator hitbox is better, but the dire puts out more damage. In saying that merata should be strong enough at aiming, I found it to be easy enough.

#12 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 07:02 AM

I see Meratas... unique... build on the leaderboard, looks like an ork mech boi. <o

#13 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 09:44 AM

Merata and I tested the DW out in a private lobby, here's the results: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/415784928

6 matches back to back, we banned boreal and jungle, played other 3 maps. Plus a bonus quickdraw fight at the end.

Edited by Dionnsai, 24 April 2019 - 09:45 AM.

#14 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 10:08 AM

Live match in Solaris, very close fight this time: https://www.twitch.tv/videos/415798923

#15 Merata Kell

• Pip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 19 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 11:55 PM

justcallme ASH and I made a lot of progress as far as a Dire Wolf load-out goes, feel free to check my in-game tag in Solaris, it's working really well!

#16 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:15 AM

View PostMerata Kell, on 25 April 2019 - 11:55 PM, said:

justcallme ASH and I made a lot of progress as far as a Dire Wolf load-out goes, feel free to check my in-game tag in Solaris, it's working really well!

Should I be afraid?

#17 Merata Kell

• Pip
  • Clan Exemplar
  • Clan Exemplar
  • 19 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 10:48 PM

Nope, I already ditched it.

#18 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf