12 replies to this topic

#1 Termin8rSmurf

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:54 AM

Please, reconsider the restriction on new players VoIP privileges. I am trying to teach my son how to Play, how to coordinate, and how to win in MWO. So far, in just 10 cadet matches, he is halfway up tier 4, and was just in a match with a guy I know personally, who happens to be in tier 2, which means my boy is good enough to be in a tier 3 based match, and finds himself unable to communicate, coordinate, etc apart from by means of the totally inadequate comms wheel system.

Please, reinstate VoIP for the cadets. He's a good kid, and a decent enough pilot. Let him speak with his team. His enjoyment of this game is essential, to me, him, maybe his friends (if he brings them Into the community), and eventually to you, PGI, because you need this game to continue to be a viable thing, which means you need new players.

Taking away a player's ability to communicate properly is probably one of the dumbest things I have ever seen in a game. Give the kids a chance. Give them back their voices!

This, I beg of you, on behalf of cadets and pugs everywhere. Let their tiny voices be heard.

Regards,

Termin8rSmurf,
Proud father of Termin8rSmurf IIC.

#2 SirHavan

• PipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 53 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 April 2019 - 02:52 AM

Counterpoint - its only 25 matches, not that many. Hell, a new pilot can't even buy a mech until after 25 matches. Makes the trolls work through 25 matches before they can spread discourse.

#3 _____

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 742 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 05:11 AM

Keep the VoIP probation period.

#4 SniperFury

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:00 AM

Why not use discord or a public team speak server?

#5 R e D D o G

Rookie

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 1 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:06 AM

I have to agree I don't see an issue with 25 match requirement. The first 25 matches for a noob they don't have a clue what is going on anyway and they can still type chat. They need to take that time and listen and hopefully get some matches with a drop caller or someone helping direct the group.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 April 2019 - 07:20 AM

Most users aren't gonna even need to worry about VOIP, let alone know it's there for 25 games.

It helps to stop troll accounts.

Leave it.

#7 Bloodwitch

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:21 AM

View PostR e D D o G, on 23 April 2019 - 06:06 AM, said:

I have to agree I don't see an issue with 25 match requirement. The first 25 matches for a noob they don't have a clue what is going on anyway and they can still type chat. They need to take that time and listen and hopefully get some matches with a drop caller or someone helping direct the group.

Implies that anyone in their games has at least remotely a clue what they're doing (they don't, it's tier 5).

I found the restriction to be odd, it implies we have more trolls then new players coming in. Bleak.

#8 Cannon Fodder 83

• PipPip
  • The Raptor
  • The Raptor
  • 29 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 10:52 AM

I personally think that anyone should be able to talk in comms. If there are people making troll accounts just hit the report. Button and move on or ignore. Revoking a player let alone a new player from utilizing all aspects of the game is wrong and takes away from the enjoyment factor of the game because if you can't communicate back then how are you to enjoy the experience and teamplay? Hey I got a stealth light back here.. *crickets* that's right can't talk... oh well. See my point?

Edited by cratermaker, 23 April 2019 - 11:06 AM.

#9 KS Highlander

• Pip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 18 posts
  • LocationTexas, USA

Posted 23 April 2019 - 11:42 AM

When I was in Tier 5 and 4, there was a rash of trolls coming in and team killing. Ruined the match for everyone; the one they killed, the rest of the team who would be down at least 2 mechs (as the team killed the killer before he struck again), and can get players banned for killing the team killer in the first place. These same trolls used VOIP to spread their politics, hate and other venom before they DC-ed. Not sure if there is really an issue with this currently, but if PGI has enacted restrictions, I would guess so. Going through the Mech Academy gives you the basics. 25 games is not that much with a Trial mech. Unless the new player tried to Leeroy Jenkins in and ignore everything and everyone. I know I completed my first 25 in a day.

#10 Termin8rSmurf

• PipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 45 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:06 PM

My boy has already almost made it to tier 3 inside his cadet matches, and has been watching my friends and I for a while now. If he was able to communicate with the rest of his team, the coordination would be much better. Bring a better game quality to the lower tiers.

#11 dante245

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 577 posts
  • Facebook: Link
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 23 April 2019 - 06:36 PM

most the complaints ive seen made towards new players having access to coms is unwarranted in my opinion. the reasons being that people who do not know the calls, verbal "slang" for MWO usually keep quite as they do not want to make a fool of them selves, and avoid the toxic attacks that may follow. the single best curb to chat abuse is a simple report and chew out. when i was a new player most of the verbal diarrhea i may have made was easily fixed by some one sitting down on a chat service, and talking to me like a human being about it and giving me pointers/information on how to do it the right way. its not hard, it took me minutes to learn when some one cared enough to stop yelling at me with verbal jabs and insults and instead constructively correct me and show me the RIGHT way to do it. literally silencing them is like shooting yourself in the foot, as people who are new will loose interest fast if they can not be involved in the banter and comradely this game builds, just because there new. its an MMO for a reason, if you take out the MMO aspect, you have killed a large portion of the game for people. if the chat really becomes that bad, just contact pgi with a report and most times that will get there toxic players attention" i can say this from experience" and usually be enough to curb the behavior/language. thankfully, most people in this community are mature adults with some knowledge or civility and politeness, and get along well together.

#12 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:28 AM

its only 25 games and you already at 10

No

#13 Ragedog4

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 118 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:16 AM

25 games is fine, we are talking a week MAX with out coms, and its only in trial mechs for those first 25 matches anyways, so no loss. I see no reason to remove it, but leaving a notice at the start is fine by me saying something like:
"To prevent VOIP abuse accounts, this game will allow in game VOIP once you completed 25 matches. Once you completed 25 games you will receive an award of X amount of C-Bills to help you start building your own mech. Remember to try out the Tutorial for extra C-Bills first time bonuses and to practice your skill as a Mechwarrior Pilot. Further information can be found on mwomercs.com"

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users