Please Remove The Elo Penalty For Tie Matches.

10 replies to this topic

Poll: Please remove the ELO penalty for Tie matches. (9 member(s) have cast votes)

Please remove the ELO penalty for Tie matches.

1. Yes (4 votes [44.44%])

Percentage of vote: 44.44%

2. No (5 votes [55.56%])

Percentage of vote: 55.56%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 12:18 PM

I assume the logic behind the penalty is something like this: To discourage people from intentionally seeking ties, players with tie matches each lose ELO, therefore giving no incentive for seeking a TIE over a LOSS.

Unfortunately there are MANY pilots who, when they have essentially lost the match will run, hide and attempt to force a tie, and many of these pilots build their mechs with this strategy in mind. In essence, they prefer to force the elo loss on the winner, rather than die with honor.

To be clear, I don't necessarily have a problem with their strategy, however I do think the tie match elo penalty is another aspect of Solaris which is not serving any real purpose and should be removed or perhaps some consideration should be given to how it functions.

Edited by Dionnsai, 23 April 2019 - 12:20 PM.

#2 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 23 April 2019 - 01:24 PM

It's extremely irritating a pilot would hide, not fight, rather than take the loss. It incentivizes people to do so when they feel they can't win.

#3 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 23 April 2019 - 04:02 PM

Had this guy just a bit ago:

Posted Image

Ran around the map, hid constantly, the only time he fired at me was when I cornered him at the last second.

I vote sure, do away with ELO changes for tie matches...but it'll be easy to abuse. Ties already don't affect your win/loss ratio. Someone drops in a match they can't win all they have to do is run and hide and they suffer literally no consequences.

You record all your matches, Dio. When you hit a TIE fighter just send the clip to Moderation@mwomercs.com

The use of the shutdown mechanic or avoiding contact with the enemy under the following situations may be classed as an act of non-participation, subject to evaluation and moderation actions by Support services:

Ceasing to meaningfully contribute for the remainder of the match if you still have support equipment, useful modules, or weapons (with any necessary ammo) available. Losing your primary weapon is not an acceptable excuse for hiding and/or shutting down if you still have a secondary weapon, a support-based item such as a TAG, or a consumable module available for use.
Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.
Running out the clock or needlessly extending the duration of a Faction Play match in an attempt to keep a particular group or Unit in the current engagement for as long as possible, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory, is not considered an acceptable tactic.

Intentionally forcing a draw is explicitly against the COC found HERE. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who's actually read the COC. A video of the player intentionally violating the COC will get results against that player.

Edited by Makenzie71, 23 April 2019 - 04:04 PM.

#4 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 23 April 2019 - 04:02 PM, said:

Intentionally forcing a draw is explicitly against the COC found HERE. Sometimes I think I'm the only person who's actually read the COC. A video of the player intentionally violating the COC will get results against that player.

I see this line in the COC:
  • Running out the clock, or needlessly extending the duration of the match, in cases where doing so will not assist you towards victory.

Is that what you're referring to?

If so, it would be nice if they had a line explicitly referring to Solaris and tie matches.

That said, this is still an example of poor design that doesn't take human nature/player behavior into account.

#5 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:19 AM

The COC applies to every aspect of the game. There’s no distinction made between quick play, faction/clan, or solaris because they all have the same expectations ions for player behavior.

#6 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 06:51 AM

Yeah, that sucks. Maybe lessen the elo loss but still keep it around. Lessen it to a third of where it's at that way it's still unattractive but better than a straight loss?

#7 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:03 PM

The whole point of that penalty is to punish the players who keep running off from the fight. Remove that penalty and you'll have a lot more players doing it.

What PGI could do is increase the penalty for a player staking multiple ties, to make sure that tying is even more of a losing tactic, for repeat offenders.

#8 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 06:49 PM

View PostHumble Dexter, on 25 April 2019 - 06:03 PM, said:

What PGI could do is increase the penalty for a player staking multiple ties, to make sure that tying is even more of a losing tactic, for repeat offenders.

That would only work for people genuinely trying to avoid the elo loss. The problem is that the players forcing ties don’t care about their elo...they’re just interested in wrecking the other player’s elo.

#9 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 25 April 2019 - 07:58 PM

Ya he does the same in scouting. Will literally run the clock down till dropship is triggered 14 minutes later. It's one thing if you're a good kite, I'll take that loss. But getting shot twice in 15 minutes is annoying AF.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 April 2019 - 08:20 PM

It is the entire unit. Every single one of them do it in all game modes.

It is some sorta stipulation to join or something by the leader... Who, incidentally, was banned but has another account that PGI is yet to give the boot too.

#11 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:20 AM

View PostMakenzie71, on 25 April 2019 - 06:49 PM, said:

That would only work for people genuinely trying to avoid the elo loss. The problem is that the players forcing ties don’t care about their elo...they’re just interested in wrecking the other player’s elo.

This ^

It's an "if i can't win, you can't win" mentality where they're happy to tie because they know it will hurt the other guy.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users