Should Inactive Players Loose Ranking?

13 replies to this topic

#1 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 24 April 2019 - 11:53 AM

As the topic said, should players loose ranking, not ELO just ranking, when they haven't played for a certain amount of time?

From what I understand people can just play their 25 matches, have a high ELO and with that ranking and then never come back and still remain in their high spot?
That is except someone beats their ELO but when I see people with perfect 25/0 W/L I wonder if that hasn't been setup?
I mean even a good player would loose at least one match or not?

Another thing would be that people who aren't working for keeping their spot shouldn't keep it right?

All this is under the impression that people don't loose their rank...if they do its all okay.

#2 Makenzie71

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 938 posts
  • Location"I don't like your loadout...you must have no idea what you're doing." ~This forum

Posted 24 April 2019 - 02:56 PM

Rank is based on elo, so losing rank would have to be done by losing elo. Some talk has been made about elo decay but i am personally no for it. While it would certainly affect the 25-n-gone players, it would also unduly punish players that can play one part of the season and not another (for example i’m often unable to play for more than a week or teo because of work). Not to mention, the 25-n-gone players can just play the last week of the season.

A better solution, I believe, can be found here. Please read through the thread, cast your vote, and share your thoughts.

Edited by Makenzie71, 24 April 2019 - 02:57 PM.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 April 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostNesutizale, on 24 April 2019 - 11:53 AM, said:

From what I understand people can just play their 25 matches, have a high ELO and with that ranking and then never come back and still remain in their high spot?

So what about someone that plays all their games in the last week and gets Top 25.

Where the guy that did 25 at the start of the season and stopped loses his place because he was "inactive".

That is not an incentive to play. Neither is a solution.

#4 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 24 April 2019 - 08:42 PM

I think the placement match multiplier nerf just solved that problem. I think you should see how the season plays out and then judge.

#5 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 25 April 2019 - 04:52 AM

I think we will still have people showing up the last few weeks and using the existing population to get a jump.

The multiplier should probably still be removed, or it should disappear after a few weeks. The entire purpose is to establish an ELO ranking when most pilots are still @ 1500. However when a high tier pilot on his first match at say 1500 fights a top tier guy at 2000 or so, he's still going to get a much bigger boost than is probably intended from the system if he wins.

Edited by Dionnsai, 25 April 2019 - 04:53 AM.

#6 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 25 April 2019 - 03:57 PM

The thing is the multi change doesn't mean much.

ELO pool is ELO pool. Doesn't matter if it's 10 or it's 1000. The gap between players won't be as wide however it won't be as easy to close the gap. It is all relative.

Your chances of playing and attaining a better ELO is better when the pool is more balanced. It is always going to be 'more balanced' towards the end of the season once the initial ladder settles itself.

The only way to stop someone coming in at the last second, using the multi (any multi) etc, is if there are NO higher level/ELO players playing. That is literally the only solution. Problem is that isn't the case and thus playing at the end is always going to be more advantageous.

#7 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 04:14 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 25 April 2019 - 03:57 PM, said:

The thing is the multi change doesn't mean much.

ELO pool is ELO pool. Doesn't matter if it's 10 or it's 1000. The gap between players won't be as wide however it won't be as easy to close the gap. It is all relative.

Your chances of playing and attaining a better ELO is better when the pool is more balanced. It is always going to be 'more balanced' towards the end of the season once the initial ladder settles itself.

The only way to stop someone coming in at the last second, using the multi (any multi) etc, is if there are NO higher level/ELO players playing. That is literally the only solution. Problem is that isn't the case and thus playing at the end is always going to be more advantageous.

I think if you have the multiplier only exist during the first few weeks could help with that. It doesn't serve a purpose after the population has established right?

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:09 AM

That's probably the only way around it.

Have it run while the event does, that's it. Even then decay and all sorts still complicates while some get access to bonuses etc.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 26 April 2019 - 06:09 AM.

#9 Dionnsai

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 469 posts

Posted 26 April 2019 - 06:13 AM

yeah because once the population is established, the multiplier is no longer necessary to get solid elo gains against good pilots

#10 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 27 April 2019 - 05:11 AM

View PostDionnsai, on 26 April 2019 - 06:13 AM, said:

yeah because once the population is established, the multiplier is no longer necessary to get solid elo gains against good pilots

Sounds like a solid suggestion.

#11 Player 0ne

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 30 posts
  • LocationCape Town

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:46 AM

No. It sucks coming back to the game and being lumped into a super tier where you need to snort cocain to keep up with your team mates. Some people have a life other than this game. Reduce ranking, reduce tier if you are inactive the same as in soccer or any other sport.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

Lol what?

#13 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:49 PM

Idk, i think he assumes since the game is now called MWO solaris 7, that this section pertains to quickplay?

Not even trying to open that can of worms....

#14 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 06:49 AM

View PostVigorousApathy, on 20 May 2019 - 09:49 PM, said:

Idk, i think he assumes since the game is now called MWO solaris 7, that this section pertains to quickplay?

Not even trying to open that can of worms....

No I like this can of worms lol.
We'll have 5 tiers of EACH division Haha

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users