Does Spirit Bear Suck Balls Or Is It Just Me?

7 replies to this topic

#1 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:09 AM

Title says it all. Attempting to use this giant lumbering house of cards with a brawling loadout (4x SRM6, UAC20, 2x ERML) and getting nothing but straight up murdered by stern looks

#2 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:21 AM

SB used to be great, but then PGI in its infinite ret@rdness wisdom decided that torso turn ratios should be universal across the mechs of the same tonnage. Not only that, but they've also decided to nerf all Kodiaks instead of just the one that was actually powerful, i.e. KDK-3. Thus the SB is where it is now ... in a very sad place.

If you want to brawl with LBX/UAC20 and SRMs use smth else. On the clan side Scorch or even Orion IIC are better for example despite far less tonnage.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 May 2019 - 12:47 AM

As above.

It used to be great at it's role - which was quite simply a smash & grab. It was a line-breaker type of Assault. It packed punch, moved fast but wasn't going to last long due to no survival quirks, MASC that ate tonnage etc. You HAD to invest in a big engine to make it great and engine desync totally destroyed that because now it doesn't accelerate, twist or do anything.

See ---> HERE <--- Shows how bad it is.

Sadly the Spirit Bear and many other mechs are still utter rubbish because of what engine desync did to them.

IMO one of the worst patches in the game in the 3.5 years I've been playing as it just nuked SOOOO many mechs. Granted some have been fixed, to a point, but there are still many mechs that are objectively bad for their role because of the poor base mobility stats.

#4 Steve Pryde

• Ace Of Spades
  • 1,465 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 07 May 2019 - 03:08 AM

Yes it sucks balls, thanks to engine desync years ago. Even the MASC is pretty much useless and not worth the tonnage.

#5 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 07 May 2019 - 07:50 AM

I can understand why the devs would not want mechs to be overly mobile for their weight class, but I agree, the nerf went too far.

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

#6 The Basilisk

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,270 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 07 May 2019 - 10:18 AM

View PostAudacious Aubergine, on 07 May 2019 - 12:09 AM, said:

Title says it all. Attempting to use this giant lumbering house of cards with a brawling loadout (4x SRM6, UAC20, 2x ERML) and getting nothing but straight up murdered by stern looks

The Kodiaks are as weak as any other assaults with non broken/savory hitboxes or those without broken scaling (both partly applicable to MKII f.e.) without massive armor quirks.
What it did good was torso twisting and fast and precise targeting to deliver the crippling damage it is capable of delivering when he ever gets in range.

Now its just as any other large humanoid assault an easy target and hindered by either its team mates or the way MWO deals with heat.

You still can do stuff with ATMS LRMs and its ability to move fast.
A big mobile missile plattform still can do some good if you aren't to high and mighty to use the weapons that are inthe game and belong to the game.

Edited by The Basilisk, 07 May 2019 - 10:21 AM.

#7 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 07 May 2019 - 02:06 PM

Are you suggesting to put *whispers* Lurms on a Spirit Bear? Posted Image

Posted Image

#8 Steel Raven

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 08 May 2019 - 11:34 AM

Watch, the KDK will finally get some buffs and someone will scream OP again.

Honestly, the KDK series still did very well even with the nerfs until the engine desync. I can understand why the desync happened with the Skill Tree but the it hit the Kodiak the hardest as it's speed and turn rate is what made it good.

The KDK is still serviceable but it's now hard mode thanks to it's wide shoulders. Ether needs some armor buffs or mobility buffs to make it Atlas scary again. I honestly rather have mobility as Armor has done nothing for the Awesome and King Crab.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users