Best Starter Ebj

10 replies to this topic

#1 peekyblinder

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 10:46 AM

Hi folks,

I'm thinking of picking up an Ebon Jaguar during the current sale. I know it's an omni mech and can be reconfigured six ways from Sunday with different pods but I'll need to earn some c-bills with it first.

So, which one is the best 'out of the box' variant? I'll be able to reconfigure some weapons, but will have to use the stock omnipods for a time. My play style is usually mid to close range, I use lrms on occasion, but rarely play the sniper game. I understand the EBJ is not particularly tanky, but then again it is a Clan mech.

Thanks!
Peeky

#2 Pfuscher1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 46 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 04:09 PM

A

ooooh such a quality post by me, I'm proud of myself.

#3 peekyblinder

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostPfuscher1, on 14 May 2019 - 04:09 PM, said:

A

Tl;dr Posted Image

#4 Acersecomic

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 647 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:21 PM

EBJ-A
It was my first bought mech by recommendation of a random player I talked for a bit and I didn't regret it. It is an excellent, very mobile mech that can bring a powerful payload and cooling. It's my only mech with an Ace of Spades (8 kills) and I got that when I was still semi-new to the game, also in my first game with it I got 12 Assists achievement. Loadout I ran at the time was UAC20, 1microlaser, 2 ERLL and 4 ERSL.

Honestly the mech is super easy to play and outfit and is so fun to play with.
Right now I'm running 9 Medium Pulse Lasers on it with HeatGen, full SpeedTweak, Operations and maybe? something else? I know I'm not running Survival tree.

#5 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:53 PM

EBJ-B is the best starter Ebon Jag. Out of the box with no omni-pod swapping, you can run 2 LPL + 5 ERML (slightly cooler than the old meta 2 LPL + 6ERML) which is more friendly to newer players. The set of 8 quirks gives you +10% accel/decel and +10% turn rate (helps newer players).

Posted Image

#6 Audacious Aubergine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Death Wish
  • The Death Wish
  • 1,029 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 01:25 AM

If you're willing to shell out the MC for the 30% c-bill bonus, then the hero is a good pick. I'm running mine with double UAC10 in the high torso mounts and 4 ER small lasers in the arms for extra damage (though I spent a while knifing team mates in the back because the arms are in different time zones to each other). Mine looks like this
Otherwise, the champion build is pretty spot-on, optionally replace the gauss rifle with a UAC10 if you're like me and can't get the charge timing quite right. Just make sure that ER medium goes into the mech first to assure that the large pulses get their rightful place in the high shoulder hardpoint
(also if you're new to using that mechlab site, hit the "save and share" button in the top right for the mechlab code to save you a few dozen clicks in-game)

#7 peekyblinder

• PipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 20 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 10:03 AM

Thanks for the replies everyone, I ended up getting the -B for the mobility quirks until I get used to the chassis. So far it's performed well with 2LPL and 4ERML. A bit low on firepower for a heavy mech, but easier on the heat until I can get enough xp to fill out the skill tree. The extra mobility really helps.

I have enough mc for the hero EBJ, but I'm waiting for the Pakhet to go on sale, as my hangar is short on c-bill bonus medium mechs.

Peeky

Edited by peekyblinder, 20 May 2019 - 10:05 AM.

#8 Hierarch

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 68 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 05:56 AM

Is buying a hellbringer the correct answer to this question?

#9 GottFaust

• PipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 96 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 28 May 2019 - 10:50 AM

View PostHierarch, on 21 May 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

Is buying a hellbringer the correct answer to this question?

The Jaaaag is generally more durable, has better damage, and better heat management than the Hellbringer. The hellbringer brings tighter clustered hardpoints and ECM to the table. They're basically side-grades.

#10 Vxheous

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 28 May 2019 - 11:07 AM

View PostGottFaust, on 28 May 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

The Jaaaag is generally more durable, has better damage, and better heat management than the Hellbringer. The hellbringer brings tighter clustered hardpoints and ECM to the table. They're basically side-grades.

If I had to play only pick one 65 tonner between a Hellbringer or Ebon Jaguar, I would take the Hellbringer 100%. The high mounts + humanoid shape makes it far superior to the Ebon Jag for laser vom, for pretty much the same firepower (pre Heavy large lasers, Ebons would outgun Hellbringers). For the Ebon Jag to mount all it's available weapons, you pretty much end up with micky mouse ears that can allow your torsos to be picked from any direction.

Edited by Vxheous, 28 May 2019 - 11:08 AM.

#11 Renzor the Red

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fearless
  • The Fearless
  • 326 posts
  • Twitch: Link
  • LocationSol 3

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:58 PM

View PostGottFaust, on 28 May 2019 - 10:50 AM, said:

The Hellbringer has better hitboxes, doesn't it? Those Ebon Jag shoulder mounts are nice and high, but also higher than the cockpit so stick out, and the CT is large and easy to crumple. I have an Esprit de Corps and a Virago, and my Hellbringer was much easier to skill up. Both energy builds.

I'm not familiar with the Ebon Jag base models, but I'd agree with whoever is pushing the laser vomit build. My hero mech is just emulating the same build but with the bonus.

Edited by Renzor the Red, 30 May 2019 - 05:59 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users