#1 Cold Soul

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 44 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAustralia [East coast]

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:38 PM

As a clan mech I guess there is no engine interchangeability. I love the idea of an assault running around at 80km, just was wondering do the omnipods protect against side engine destruction that plagues XL engines in Inner Sphere mechs?

If you have one, could you rate it for me please.

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 12 May 2019 - 11:44 PM

you need to lose 3 crits to kill an xl engine. clans only keep 2 in each st. so loosing an st is not instadeath. onmitech just means you give up some customizability for arbitrary hardpoints. clans do have battle mechs but engine death behavior is the same. is technically could have omnis if pgi wants to get on that but is engine rules apply.

as for effective gargoyle builds, do a lot of small pulse lasers with maybe a few erlls, as many as you can stack. and use the mobility, makes one hell of an energy brawler. gargles doesnt have the pod space for anything else anyway.

Edited by LordNothing, 12 May 2019 - 11:46 PM.

#3 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:07 AM

Mr Gargle is to be played as a medium mech - found a workable version sporting 6 ERM and a TC6 or TC7 - gives you almost 1km range (skilled), runs cold and deals serious damage

#4 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 01:27 AM

GAR-D Fun mech, works best if you got few of these in group queue.

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 13 May 2019 - 04:54 AM

It's a good time until your opponent starts aiming for your arms, then all of a sudden you lose 6 lasers. Ouch.

#6 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:29 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 May 2019 - 04:54 AM, said:

It's a good time until your opponent starts aiming for your arms, then all of a sudden you lose 6 lasers. Ouch.

Yeah. Hardpoint dynamics have been unkind to Senor Gargles.

I think all his hardpoints should be clustered in and around his giant head. There's plenty or real estate there.

#7 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:38 AM

View PostRickySpanish, on 13 May 2019 - 04:54 AM, said:

But If I lose 1 arm and 6 lazors with it, I still have 10 lazors left. Posted Image

#8 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 05:45 AM

View PostCurccu, on 13 May 2019 - 05:38 AM, said:

But If I lose 1 arm and 6 lazors with it, I still have 10 lazors left. Posted Image

Sure but 6 are torso mounted that fire extremely fast, so that's a lot of difficulty aiming. The thing with micro lasers is that their cooldown is so tiny, the face time required with them is huge. Even with the Gargoyle's agility hitting them same spot once every two seconds is tough. It's a lot of fun though, it's just that the "potential dps" of the Gargoyle comes with some surprising gotchas.

#9 dwwolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 476 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 10:00 AM

Gargoyle is the epitome of all the bad issues that clan mechs have.
Overengined, wrong subsystems (FF instead of endosteel as 1st choice ) with too many fixed DHS.

FF to endo saves 2 tons with 3 less armor points by increasing armor to 13 tons.
14 instead of 16 DHS saves 2 tons.

Easy 4 tons saved that would breathe some life in a tired old chassis.

#10 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:19 PM

People are fairly obsessed with high hard points so the Gargoyle has a worse reputation than it probably should. It isn’t the greatest Mech but it isn’t that bad either.

I use HLL and ERML on mine so it has a good alpha. Excellent for NASCAR.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 03:39 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 13 May 2019 - 03:19 PM, said:

People are fairly obsessed with high hard points so the Gargoyle has a worse reputation than it probably should. It isn’t the greatest Mech but it isn’t that bad either.

I use HLL and ERML on mine so it has a good alpha. Excellent for NASCAR.

Certainly not the worst, and extremely fun to pilot. You can do some sturdier builds with medium lasers in the middle to make losing an arm less bad. And yes, brilliant for Nascar. Might dig mine out actually. The Garg is like Deus Ex - every time it gets mentioned, someone reinstalls it.

Edited by RickySpanish, 13 May 2019 - 03:40 PM.

#12 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 13 May 2019 - 09:03 PM

I was thinking of giving a Gargoyle a try.

Maybe 10 ER Micros and a pair of heavy larges with 20 something DHS.

#13 Cold Soul

• PipPip
  • The Solitary
  • The Solitary
  • 44 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationAustralia [East coast]

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:00 PM

Thanks to all who replied, very interesting reading

#14 DarkFhoenix

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 401 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 09:23 PM

I never played a Gargoyle in my life . I dont hate it , its just too many other cool mechs out there.

#15 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 14 May 2019 - 11:50 PM

View Postdwwolf, on 13 May 2019 - 10:00 AM, said:

Gargoyle is the epitome of all the bad issues that clan mechs have.
Overengined, wrong subsystems (FF instead of endosteel as 1st choice ) with too many fixed DHS.

FF to endo saves 2 tons with 3 less armor points by increasing armor to 13 tons.
14 instead of 16 DHS saves 2 tons.

Easy 4 tons saved that would breathe some life in a tired old chassis.

honestly despite all those flaws the gargoyle and executioner both worked perfectly fine until PGI nerfed small pulse lasers. thats what killed clan energy brawlers.

the biggest issue with those mechs is that theres no good energy weapons for them anymore.

being a fast assault is only good if youre devastating at brawling. And the only way an energy boat can be devastating at brawling is if it can pack on a bunch of heat efficient lasers like the small pulse used to be before it was nerfed into the ground. Nothing has ever really replaced the role the small pulse used to fill.

Edited by Khobai, 15 May 2019 - 06:28 AM.

#16 ObeyTheLion

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFinally managed to score 1K in an Urbie

Posted 17 May 2019 - 12:44 AM

View PostKhobai, on 14 May 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

honestly despite all those flaws the gargoyle and executioner both worked perfectly fine until PGI nerfed small pulse lasers. thats what killed clan energy brawlers.

the biggest issue with those mechs is that theres no good energy weapons for them anymore.

being a fast assault is only good if youre devastating at brawling. And the only way an energy boat can be devastating at brawling is if it can pack on a bunch of heat efficient lasers like the small pulse used to be before it was nerfed into the ground. Nothing has ever really replaced the role the small pulse used to fill.

I partly agree but

View PostKhobai, on 14 May 2019 - 11:50 PM, said:

Micro lasers work perfectly fine on my Gargoyle. Even though they've got less range and a bit longer cooldown, they're a great alternative to SPLs, and they're extremely heat efficient with the appropriate amount of heatsinks

o7

Edited by ObeyTheLion, 17 May 2019 - 12:45 AM.

#17 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 01:20 AM

View PostObeyTheLion, on 17 May 2019 - 12:44 AM, said:

Micro lasers work perfectly fine on my Gargoyle. Even though they've got less range and a bit longer cooldown, they're a great alternative to SPLs, and they're extremely heat efficient with the appropriate amount of heatsinks

But why not have both Posted Image SPL & uPL combo is pretty nice, short burntime & cooldown... 100m range is really only downside.

#18 ObeyTheLion

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 83 posts
  • LocationFinally managed to score 1K in an Urbie

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:37 AM

View PostCurccu, on 17 May 2019 - 01:20 AM, said:

But why not have both Posted Image SPL & uPL combo is pretty nice, short burntime & cooldown... 100m range is really only downside.

Super close range knife fighter sounds fun, but i do like to contribute to the battle even if i'm not that close.
That's why i'm running 6x ERMediums on top of my 10x ERMicros. So i can still deal a considerable amount of damage at range even if i'm not close enough to engage with my micro lasers.

o7

Edited by ObeyTheLion, 17 May 2019 - 02:38 AM.

#19 ChapeL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 1,363 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 04:05 AM

I am by no means a great pilot, nor am I an expert on Gargoyles but my experience with that chassis has been that it's an excellent assault to use in quickplay ( because you can keep up with the Nascar fans ) You have the speed to relocate so do it. Come at the enemy where they expect a medium mech, hit them, break contact and come again from somewhere else.

Granted, my favorite loadout isn't what most people use. ( UAC 20 and 4 mediums, 5 if you are really good at heat management )

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users