8 replies to this topic

#1 Mustang_11b35d

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

I've been playing about a month now, and I've spent a stupid amount of cash to build a library of mechs (mostly from package deals). The weapon loads I want cost as much or more than the mechs, and the stock weapons often sit in my inventory unused. Can I change the weapons on a mech before I buy it? I assume I'd have to pay the difference between the weapons I shed and the new ones I choose. I've searched the forum, and it looks like this was possible some time ago, but I can't find anything recent. Can this still be done?

Thanks in advance,
Mustang

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 May 2019 - 11:52 AM

View PostMustang_11b35d, on 16 May 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

I've been playing about a month now, and I've spent a stupid amount of cash to build a library of mechs (mostly from package deals). The weapon loads I want cost as much or more than the mechs, and the stock weapons often sit in my inventory unused. Can I change the weapons on a mech before I buy it? I assume I'd have to pay the difference between the weapons I shed and the new ones I choose. I've searched the forum, and it looks like this was possible some time ago, but I can't find anything recent. Can this still be done?

Thanks in advance,
Mustang

No. You can theory test in the shop and make custom builds there that will not be saved (though you can "save" the loadout to be reloaded after you purchase the mech if desired). All mechs are sold with a set "stock" loadout on it.

If anything, you can always sell stuff from your Inventory tab in the game. SHSs are normally an easy selling item common on many stock mechs when you buy them. Weapons, engines and other equipment are too useful to sell unless you just have too many of them.

#3 Mustang_11b35d

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 May 2019 - 12:03 PM

Thanks Tesunie,
Do you take a big loss selling weapons like you do selling mechs? If not, that's an easy solution. If I only get 50% of purchase price, I need to be pretty cautious deciding which items to sell, since I may want them later. I'm still figuring out which weapons work in different mechs, different situations, etc. There are HUGE differences between this and MW5, which I played extensively back in the day.

That said, I strip everything I'm not currently playing, so I have a lot of excess inventory that I can part with even at a loss. It's not doing me any good sitting in the warehouse collecting dust.

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 16 May 2019 - 01:00 PM

View PostMustang_11b35d, on 16 May 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

Thanks Tesunie,
Do you take a big loss selling weapons like you do selling mechs? If not, that's an easy solution. If I only get 50% of purchase price, I need to be pretty cautious deciding which items to sell, since I may want them later. I'm still figuring out which weapons work in different mechs, different situations, etc. There are HUGE differences between this and MW5, which I played extensively back in the day.

That said, I strip everything I'm not currently playing, so I have a lot of excess inventory that I can part with even at a loss. It's not doing me any good sitting in the warehouse collecting dust.

You mean MW4. MW5 is soon to be released...

Beyond that, components (weapons, etc) do sell for less value than they are purchased for. This is why you sell them when you have a massive amount of them, such as 5+ of the same engine for example, or when you have 20+ MLs. Single Heat Sinks are almost always a given "sell instantly", though I like to keep a handful in stock encase I wish to try a higher threshold build (such as my Awesome).

For the most part, don't sell unless you just have too many of them sitting around and you need some C-bills. Most equipment is rather easy to acquire, so don't worry too much. Engines are the most expensive component (excluding the mech itself of course), so those you should be most careful with selling.XL250s are almost universally sell-able instantly, as an XL255 is the same weight and more useful (I believe). So keep an eye out for those items as well, of particular note on LFE and XL engines. Some of them have the same weight for two different class engines, so you might as well take the larger one if it's on hand.

My rule of thumb:
Lasers: Want to have 10-20 surplus. Smaller lasers should have more on hand.
ACs: About 10 of these on hand for each class, sell the rest. Depends upon your average weapon preference and tendency to purchase new mechs in need of them...
Missiles: Try to keep 5-10 of each launcher on hand.
Gauss/AC20s: 2-5 needed on hand. Not used very often personally, so I don't need many on hand.
Etc

You'll come up with your own rule of thumb on what amounts of which to keep in stock. Some people keep everything. Other's sell to bare minimum stocks. Some even sell everything when they need the C-bills and worry about getting it all again later. If you enjoy playing the game, you'll see the C-bills come and go easily.

#5 Mustang_11b35d

• Pip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 17 posts
  • LocationArizona

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

Roger - MW4 (I bought the early-sale MW5, can't wait.)

This is awesome info. Thanks again!
Mustang

#6 Pain G0D

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • Sho-ko
  • 617 posts

Posted 16 May 2019 - 02:30 PM

Personally if I need the extra cbills , I sell anything and everything . Selling weapon stockpiles can score you that battlemech you have your eye on . I have sometimes regretted selling a weapon I could have used that but that's pretty seldom .

#7 Horseman

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 17 May 2019 - 02:00 AM

View PostMustang_11b35d, on 16 May 2019 - 12:03 PM, said:

You get 50%, yes.
In general, sell any excess over what you'd need to equip 1-2 mechs. Some fire sales like that got me upwards of 40 million C-Bills in one go.

#8 Churzy

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 45 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:12 PM

Because I'm a huge cheapskate, I've often bought a 'Mech I didn't really "want" during a sale just to strip the Engine, Weapons, or Omnipods; and then sell them back - basically getting 50% off select equipment.

In the end hoiwever, there aren't any workarounds to skip the C-Bill investments from Double Heat Sink and Endo-Steel.

#9 ImperialKnight

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,733 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:14 PM

Always buy stuff when 50% off. Then you can sell off the equipment or even the mech with no losses. It's a good way to acquire engines as well.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users