#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

So.. about them patch notes...

Yes.. there's going to be a slight delay with FP... not a big delay... should be within 24-48hrs. Found an issue with 12v12s but a fix has been submitted.. build is currently cooking... want to test thoroughly on Tuesday (Monday is a holiday here in Canuckistan). That being said, there's a very slight chance it could even be fixed on Tuesday.. but don't want to over promise on a hard deadline at the moment. I'll be back here Tuesday morning with updates.

But Paul (don't start).. why not just delay the whole patch? We wanted to make sure the players who bought their 'Mechs didn't have to wait for FP to get their new 'Mech. This solution also lets us make sure the first opening story is tight and entertaining.

As I mentioned.. the hotfix to start FP should be very quick on the turn around.. I personally just don't want to stick my finger in the bear trap at this moment and promise a date/time.

Sorry for the delay folks.

-Paul

#2 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 07:53 PM

@Paul

A Conflict can be any one of 4 pre-determined map states (3050, 3052, 3057 or 3062)

Please add as a feature drop deck tech validation rules to the years. So for a 3050 match, your deck can only use 3050 tech... SHS, no gauss, etc. That would be fun and breath life back into the game.

#3 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:14 PM

And require people to have 50+ mechs build out/ready to go for any given tech lockdown and then map/mode?

I can see that being a real hit with the player base.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 08:20 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 May 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

And require people to have 50+ mechs build out/ready to go for any given tech lockdown and then map/mode?

Out of the players that play FP, you can cater to the "5%" newish players or "95%" have all the cbills and mechs we could ever want players. The choice is clear.

#5 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 11:37 PM

Paul,

Please tell me that phases do not force players into scouting as it did on the PTS. Scouting is an entirely different mode and while I can see PGI's want to integrate and have scouting have meaningful effect on this new conflict system, it needs to be separate. If people went to launch quick play and found themselves doing one on one solaris, there'd be a riot.

While I fully appreciate the need to draw in larger numbers to faction warfare, it has to be important to retain players as well. As a member of BCMC I can count on one hand the number of times unit members suggested or wanted to do scouting since the dreaded longtom was removed. (and previously we were resentful to be forced into a mode we didn't enjoy to avoid longtom)

The notion that I will not be able to log in and play the mode I want and have something very different than twelve v twelve with four drops is a dealbreaker. I may not, during the week especially have time to wait around until scouting is over and for me that would likely mean I wouldn't be playing MWO at all.

Haven't spoken to unit members or others I play with yet, but I can guarantee that this will make a lot of the diehards that are still hanging on leave and pretty much every player we can muster is what we need to make the changes and effort worth it.

Please, I am begging you, please tell me that scouting and regular cw will not be integrated and will remain two separate modes as they should be considering how they are two very different games.

#6 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 18 May 2019 - 04:33 PM

THANKYOU PGI for trying, for listening and for trying.
also: ^everything clown said^ because scouting is no fun for an assault pilot, none at all, not even a little bit.

PS: please sneak in a dropdeck sale?

#7 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 18 May 2019 - 05:05 PM

View PostNightbird, on 17 May 2019 - 08:20 PM, said:

Out of the players that play FP, you can cater to the "5%" newish players or "95%" have all the cbills and mechs we could ever want players. The choice is clear.

I've been playing for years and not even I have the mechlab or skilled mechs to have dropdecks to counter all techs with 300+ mechs. I'd need a heap more variants and spend months skilling.

So while some players would, some players would not - even veterans. If you dont have a mech for that given tech era, what do you do? Simply not play? Yeah that's really going to help the population Posted Image

Given a revamp of the mode and a MM to help a lot of the more casuals and lower skilled players there will be an INFLUX of people or at least one would hope some more. Further complicating the mode and actually actively stopping people from playing because they don't have the mechs is just pants on head crazy.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 18 May 2019 - 05:06 PM.

#8 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 06:15 PM

The FP MM update will not improve the experience for casuals. Play-to-win players will always dominate casuals, it's a difference in mentality. FP during prime time launches a match every 3-5 minutes, a MM that only waits 2 minute to launch will cannot separate casuals from non-casuals, it's mathematically impossible. Maybe if you made it wait 10 minutes, and also added a feature to identify causal groups from non-casual groups.

From a business point of view, creating tech base validation rules is an easy way of making all the existing assets feel fresh and new again. Today, all the modes QP/FP/Solaris has one tech base, 3068, despite having all prior tech bases implemented in game. By simply assigning each mech and piece of equipment a tech base year, and for each mech and build, taking the maximum as the mech and build's tech base, we can create a lot more experiences for players that are otherwise bored with MWO. These include for both casual (play to have fun) and non-casual (play to win) players. It's a great way of cheaply expanding endgame content (FP), creating additional c-bills sinks as people mechlab, while still keeping QP the same. You can spend 2 - 4 weeks in each tech base, writing up a story and letting people play through it.

#9 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 18 May 2019 - 07:49 PM

One thing I don't understand about having multiple time periods.

An awful lot of us loyalist players actually WANT the map to matter. We actually WANT taking planets to matter. We WANT the possibility to conquer every single planet on the map for our preferred faction. For us, this is the ENTIRE POINT of faction play.

Skipping around time periods seems like it would be completely counter to our desire for this.

#10 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:36 PM

View PostKhalcruth, on 18 May 2019 - 07:49 PM, said:

Skipping around time periods seems like it would be completely counter to our desire for this.

Is our current possibility for this not 0?

#11 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 18 May 2019 - 09:51 PM

may i say i personally think it is fantastic that everyone is discussing faction stuff and not LuRMs?!
please can we have access to the quickplay maps as part of the new story flavoured stuff?
if we have to choose a faction for each adventure do we have to do 10x probation each time?
could you please fix the lag on the horns (this is a daily life and death issue for brawling fools like myself) and please have a dropdeck sale? people will coin, i swear.

Edited by BROARL, 19 May 2019 - 12:18 AM.

#12 DaFrog

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Sho-ko
  • 421 posts
  • Locationmontreal

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:44 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 17 May 2019 - 08:14 PM, said:

That's not an issue for me. All my mechs are Fp ready.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users