Considering A Stormcrow

19 replies to this topic

#1 eishiba

• PipPipPip
  • 62 posts

Posted 17 May 2019 - 10:46 PM

So I was thinking about a stormcrow. Something that I can learn to brawl in. I messed around with the stormcrows in the shop in game and think they are quite interesting. But what do other people think of them? https://mwo.smurfy-n...eee159fee73cc68

That build is pretty good I think. How well does the stormcrow fair in quick play? Which stormcrow would one suggest? Educate me.

#2 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:27 PM

[mod]This thread has been moved to
General Discussion.[/mod]

#3 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:33 PM

The Stormcrow is good, but for everything besides possibly laservomit, the Vapor Eagle is better.

#4 fat4eyes

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • 491 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 01:30 AM

The Stormcrow is still a good all-around mech, works as a pure srm brawler (5xASRM6) or a laservomit mech (LPLs+ML). It's not as flexible as the other clan mediums such as the Huntsman or Vapor Eagle because a lot of its tonnage is taken up the the engine so make sure you use that speed on the battlefield. Move around the main battle line and shoot the enemies that are busy shooting your teammates, then fade back and do it again. Don't go toe to toe for too long unless you're attacking with other friendly mechs.

As for your build, I'd prefer a pure SRM build (mainly for the added range, remember SRMs go up to 270m and yes, you can get good hts at that distance) but I've seen people do well in a SPL/ErSL build, so it might work for you.

If you want to learn toe-to-toe brawling in a medium, the Bushwacker would be a better option. It's a lot tankier and carries a decent amount of firepower (4xSRM6 and all of them on the well armored torso). It is an IS mech though, so it will have less build variety. If you want to go clan, the Huntsman is also a good choice (LOTS of SRMs, but it moves a lot slower than the Stormcrow and is a bit more fragile).

#5 Blacksheep One

• PipPipPip
  • 75 posts
  • LocationThe Land of Beer and Cheese

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:55 AM

I tend to really like the Stormcrow - it's a reasonably mobile, punchy 'mech. It'll also make you very aware of damage to your arms :)

#6 Snotskull

• Pip
  • The Altruist
  • The Altruist
  • 14 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:25 PM

save up some MC

https://mwo.smurfy-n...de5e2b40b3696e6

#7 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 02:29 PM

stormcrow was like the first GOOD medium

so many combo's

short range missle..
ballistic
energy
hell if you sick in the head probably could pull off lrm

Ive got one arm set up as short range laser (it has responsive arm articulation)
and the other heavy ballistic

#8 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

View Posteishiba, on 17 May 2019 - 10:46 PM, said:

So I was thinking about a stormcrow. Something that I can learn to brawl in. I messed around with the stormcrows in the shop in game and think they are quite interesting. But what do other people think of them? https://mwo.smurfy-n...eee159fee73cc68

That build is pretty good I think. How well does the stormcrow fair in quick play? Which stormcrow would one suggest? Educate me.

My Stormcrow excels with Light Hunting....its not a good front line mech tho. Stay with the assaults and protect them from the lights and its a great mech.

#9 Dale Grible

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • 190 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 03:13 AM

2 erppc 4 srm4 for peak/poking initially then infighting is a nice build for me.

I have had a lot of success with 2 lpl and 6 ersl

#10 Erik Krieger

• PipPipPip
  • Star Captain
  • 77 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:50 AM

Hello eishiba,

imo the Stormcrow is a nice mech, but not the one I would recommend for learning to brawl. It gets destroyed to easy in the really tough brawling situations..

The best i got for a stormcrow is this build:
https://mwo.smurfy-n...f8f74c4ec227289

You can work very good on mid range with the 2 largpe pulses and med laser. And the speed of the stormcrow makes it good for changing positions fast.

If it comes to a brawling kind of situation or you caught a mech alone you got a nice alpha of nearly 50 and good dps by the 8 er micro lasers. The heat is also manageable if you skill it in that direction. Skilling the survival tree as the second priority helps also.

Have fun!

Edited by noble S A V A G E, 20 May 2019 - 06:53 AM.

#11 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

Probably my favorite Clan medium. It's very reliable.

#12 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,610 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:36 AM

View Posteishiba, on 17 May 2019 - 10:46 PM, said:

SCR-D same'ish build style ghost heat free and more accurate.

#13 DaniBot

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Moderate Giver
  • 176 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:02 AM

Too brawl means getting close and taking damage while dealing damage and in my opinion the Stormcrow is too fragile for that.

With it's high speed it's an excellent flanker that can deal a lot of damage while not being in the centre of the battle.
For example: You poke and unload your damage and reverse to cool down and repeat that until it gets too dangerous and then change position.

Good builds i liked where UAC20+ERML; the mighty all-Streak-SRM-6's; maybe a Gauss+ERML and of course the mighty laser vomit and all it's flavors: LPL+ERML's, HLL+ERML's, all-MedPulses and ERLL+ERML's for longer range styles.

Edited by DaniBot, 21 May 2019 - 03:03 AM.

#14 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:49 PM

Before the LRM nerf, I had a pretty effective dual LRM20, 4 ersml, 1 SRM-6 build. It was really good for hit and runs, especially on open maps like Polar, Alpine Peaks, Caustic Valley and even Tourmoline Desert. Post nerf, it sits idly in my mech bay. Nothing quite as disappointing as seeing a LRM40 alpha eaten up by completely OP AMS and not a single projectile hitting a target.

#15 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 12:50 PM

Storm Crow A make very deadly high mobility LRM platform https://mwo.smurfy-n...8d4a05ecebeb8b9

Edited by SirSmokes, 21 May 2019 - 12:51 PM.

#16 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 01:32 PM

^^ Used to... Now it is just a target.

#17 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:16 PM

View PostSkrapiron, on 21 May 2019 - 01:32 PM, said:

^^ Used to... Now it is just a target.
Git GuD it still is.

#18 Skippy The Danger Squirrel

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The DeathRain
  • The DeathRain
  • 107 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:19 PM

Been trying to play it under the new rules. Sacrificed an ERsml for a TAG. Still can't get locks fast enough. Doesn't have enough armor to hang out in the open to be peppered by dakka builds.

#19 The pessimistic optimist

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 2,377 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:27 PM

View PostSkrapiron, on 21 May 2019 - 02:19 PM, said:

Been trying to play it under the new rules. Sacrificed an ERsml for a TAG. Still can't get locks fast enough. Doesn't have enough armor to hang out in the open to be peppered by dakka builds.

I have zero problem using it not the mech or the weapon its you not trying to be rude but...

#20 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:36 PM

View PostSirSmokes, on 21 May 2019 - 02:16 PM, said:

Git GuD it still is.

you cant lerroy jenkins lrm style anymore.. those days are gone

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users