36 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:30 PM

So there's a purported leaked list of Microsoft's announcements for E3 and amongst them is a new Mech Assault.
https://gamerant.com...t-e3-2019-leak/

This presents many questions of course but what do you guys make of this?

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:36 PM

I'll get it on the computer if it ever comes out for it, or buy the game and wait for an emulator.

I'm not gonna get a system just to play one game.
Beyond that...
Welp... these are good for a couple of hours of "herp-derp spray" fun for a couple of bucks.
Posted Image
But I couldn't call them say I liked them all that much. Its like if you put Han Solo in Star Trek... or Captain Sisko in Star Wars...
It's a fun idea. Until it stops making sense.
Although At this point, anything's better than MWO.
------

Dino Crisis would be nice....

Edited by Koniving, 19 May 2019 - 10:38 PM.

#3 Steel Raven

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,371 posts

Posted 19 May 2019 - 10:56 PM

Interested to see how much they rip off from MW: Living Legends

#4 Reno Blade

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 19 May 2019 - 11:26 PM

View PostKoniving, on 19 May 2019 - 10:36 PM, said:

It's a fun idea. Until it stops making sense.

Although At this point, anything's better than MWO.
------

How dare you! Posted Image
Two heretic sentences after another?

liking Mech Assault ?
and stating anything is better than MWO?

You must be bored... ;)

#5 MeiSooHaityu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 May 2019 - 02:14 AM

I'm intrigued by the news. I hope it sees a PC release, I'd give it a try.

Hopefully Microsoft makes a re-release of the existing XBox ones on PC too someday. I'd like that as well.

#6 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 20 May 2019 - 07:57 AM

View PostSteel Raven, on 19 May 2019 - 10:56 PM, said:

Interested to see how much they rip off from MW: Living Legends

If it is designed like a traditional MechAssault game, I would say not too much.

MechAssault is 3rd person arcade action with linear-ish maps containing powerups. Mechs have locked loadouts often in fire groups that can be controlled with 2 or 3 buttons, and it might be possible to jump out of mechs and hijack other mechs in mission (something MechAssault 2 did if I remember right).

#7 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 08:22 AM

I would preorder it. Which is saying something in today's game market.

#8 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:58 AM

Perhaps they realized there's still a playerbase for it. When PGI released their first MW5 trailer. There were a lot of comments about remembering mech assault and wanting a sequel. I wonder if this bodes well or ill for PGI. In a way it could be good with more exposure for the franchise. If it's only console then it's not direct competition either. It also shows renewed faith by Microsoft in the potential profitability. But then again for all we know they're going to do MechAssault MOBILE. DON"T YOU HAVE A PHONE!?

Edited by MechaBattler, 20 May 2019 - 09:58 AM.

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 20 May 2019 - 09:59 AM

View PostMechaBattler, on 20 May 2019 - 09:58 AM, said:

Perhaps they realized there's still a playerbase for it. When PGI released their first MW5 trailer. There were a lot of comments about remembering mech assault and wanting a sequel. I wonder if this bodes well or ill for PGI. In a way it could be good with more exposure for the franchise. If it's only console then it's not direct competition either. It also shows renewed faith by Microsoft in the potential profitability. But then again for all we know they're going to do MechAssault MOBILE. DON"T YOU HAVE A PHONE!?

If it has lootboxes I'm not touching it.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 05:45 PM

Given how it's multiplayer and single player was... Doubt there would be any room for loot boxes.

If it's similar to anything it's multiplayer would be similar to mwo but more likely 4v4 with respawns and glowing floaty powerups.

Think MechWarrior for kids, minus the color pallette. That's how the first two felt. You can run in a circle with your left stick and your torso will face perfect north the whole time until you move the right stick. And it is best played with a controller, has aim assist, etc.

Also no customization at all.

#11 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 20 May 2019 - 06:01 PM

View PostKoniving, on 20 May 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

Given how it's multiplayer and single player was... Doubt there would be any room for loot boxes.

If it's similar to anything it's multiplayer would be similar to mwo but more likely 4v4 with respawns and glowing floaty powerups.

Think MechWarrior for kids, minus the color pallette. That's how the first two felt. You can run in a circle with your left stick and your torso will face perfect north the whole time until you move the right stick. And it is best played with a controller, has aim assist, etc.

I remember the gameplay of the old MA games. However, I am also very pessimistic about the current state of the gaming industry. When there's a will, there's a way. If a greedy publisher wants microtransactions in a game, they will force it in any form they feasibly can. Many franchises that originally had no MTX got them shoehorned in recent new installments in their respective franchises.

#12 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 21 May 2019 - 02:45 AM

View PostKoniving, on 20 May 2019 - 05:45 PM, said:

[MechAssault] Think MechWarrior for kids, minus the color pallette. That's how the first two felt. You can run in a circle with your left stick and your torso will face perfect north the whole time until you move the right stick. And it is best played with a controller, has aim assist, etc.

I think of it less as for kids, and more as arcade action over tactics. If MechWarrior games tend to be more like Gran Turismo or Forza, MechAssault games are more like Daytona Racing or Cruis'n USA. It is just a different genre that scratches a different itch. You can be an adult and just prefer the more instant gratification of action games over the more depth of a tactical experience.

It just all depends on what you enjoy in your gaming. Even when it comes to myself, sometimes it just comes down to mood. Sometimes I feel like playing a pick-up and play action game, and sometimes I feel like diving more deeper into a tactical/planning experience.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 21 May 2019 - 02:45 AM.

#13 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:28 PM

View PostMeiSooHaityu, on 21 May 2019 - 02:45 AM, said:

I think of it less as for kids, and more as arcade action over tactics. If MechWarrior games tend to be more like Gran Turismo or Forza, MechAssault games are more like Daytona Racing or Cruis'n USA. It is just a different genre that scratches a different itch. You can be an adult and just prefer the more instant gratification of action games over the more depth of a tactical experience.

It just all depends on what you enjoy in your gaming. Even when it comes to myself, sometimes it just comes down to mood. Sometimes I feel like playing a pick-up and play action game, and sometimes I feel like diving more deeper into a tactical/planning experience.

Fair. But I stopped playing arcade games around 18. The ones I would still play aren't around anymore and they were more like multiplayer Sim pits like the original battlezone or more specifically their later knockoffs. I think my big issue with MA is it basically takes battletrch and produces Gundam...and not even the good gundams it goes right for the cheesiest ones that the original Gundam series creator called the "enemy of Gundam"... MA 2 especially felt like a super hero robot saga where a guy in battle armor can kill a 300 ton twin fusion engine super behemoth of an atlas in a 4 minute fight without even breaking a sweat with a medium laser that might as well be a Gatling gun. Oh, and floaty powerups. (Heroic V pose!)

View PostFupDup, on 20 May 2019 - 06:01 PM, said:

I remember the gameplay of the old MA games. However, I am also very pessimistic about the current state of the gaming industry. When there's a will, there's a way. If a greedy publisher wants microtransactions in a game, they will force it in any form they feasibly can. Many franchises that originally had no MTX got them shoehorned in recent new installments in their respective franchises.

Liked for truth, not favoring shoehorned microtransactions.

Microtransactions, Microsoft...huh. Wonder if there's a connection?

#14 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 21 May 2019 - 03:31 PM

Oh...and if I remember that Atlas like thing growled, chomped at the air and felt practically weightless in it's movements, the "Hayminator" in Conker's bad fur day felt like it had more weight...

I'm hoping ma3 goes closer to ma1. I liked the first one. Felt like snes MW3050

#15 MeiSooHaityu

• Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 10,912 posts
  • LocationMI

Posted 22 May 2019 - 02:12 AM

View PostKoniving, on 21 May 2019 - 03:28 PM, said:

Fair. But I stopped playing arcade games around 18. The ones I would still play aren't around anymore and they were more like multiplayer Sim pits like the original battlezone or more specifically their later knockoffs. I think my big issue with MA is it basically takes battletrch and produces Gundam...and not even the good gundams it goes right for the cheesiest ones that the original Gundam series creator called the "enemy of Gundam"... MA 2 especially felt like a super hero robot saga where a guy in battle armor can kill a 300 ton twin fusion engine super behemoth of an atlas in a 4 minute fight without even breaking a sweat with a medium laser that might as well be a Gatling gun. Oh, and floaty powerups. (Heroic V pose!)

Yeah, it definitely isn't a very lore heavy game. It was an arcade game, with BattleTech theming and aesthetics, deisgned to show off Xbox live. I personally am ok with that (maybe mostly because the game is now a little over 15 years old now), and especially because it was just one flavor of the franchise and not the sole direction of BattleTech gaming.

Since I missed it the first time around (me and my friends had PCs and Playstations), and since I don't want to hunt down a ROM and emulator just for the game, I think I am going to check out the new MechAssault, assuming the rumors are true.

Who knows, maybe they will decide to try to stick a little closer to the source material this time around. I mean, as much as that style of game can. It is still most likely going to have spinning power-ups and fast action, all the usual mechanics for that style of game.

P.S. One good thing about these games (like them or hate them), they do bring people into the fandom. If people like MechAssault, they may also decide to try other titles like MechWarrior and HBS's BattleTech as well. Heck, maybe eventually even TT. Who knows.

Edited by MeiSooHaityu, 22 May 2019 - 02:15 AM.

#16 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 24 May 2019 - 09:38 PM

Yeah that was my thought, that a decent to good Mech Assault game would bring new people into the franchise.

#17 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:42 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 19 May 2019 - 10:30 PM, said:

So there's a purported leaked list of Microsoft's announcements for E3 and amongst them is a new Mech Assault.
https://gamerant.com...t-e3-2019-leak/

This presents many questions of course but what do you guys make of this?

That "Mech Game" has IMO a very high likelihood to be a reveal of an Xbox port of MW5. Remember there are some people who never heard of the Mechwarrior series or Battletech franchise and only know the setting through MechAssault.
https://www.neogaf.c...o-dump.1482022/

What Has a High Chance of Happening (Alright, this is where stuff gets interesting these are things that i'd like to consider rather high probability of happening based on what i heard/saw/conversations had - None of this is confirmed, so take it with a grain of salt)
- Section Start -
MechAssault/Mech Game - Reveal (Microsoft owns the right to MechAssault, for those who do not know. There is a VERY high chance that a new mech game has been in the works and it will be finally revealed here)

Edited by Horseman, 27 May 2019 - 04:44 AM.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:31 AM

View PostHorseman, on 27 May 2019 - 04:42 AM, said:

That "Mech Game" has IMO a very high likelihood to be a reveal of an Xbox port of MW5. Remember there are some people who never heard of the Mechwarrior series or Battletech franchise and only know the setting through MechAssault.
https://www.neogaf.c...o-dump.1482022/

An actual MW game would be very hard to port to console because of how many controls the PC versions always have. It would have to be a completely different game.

#19 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:06 AM

View PostFupDup, on 27 May 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

An actual MW game would be very hard to port to console because of how many controls the PC versions always have. It would have to be a completely different game.

Yeah I think the relatively simple Mech Assault makes more sense for a console game.

#20 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,699 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 27 May 2019 - 11:25 AM

View PostFupDup, on 27 May 2019 - 09:31 AM, said:

And ports didn't use to be near-identical across platforms until mid-2000s. Remember console versions of Mechwarrior 1 and 2?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users