Company Tactics For A New Player

17 replies to this topic

#1 Left Overs

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 28 May 2019 - 06:12 PM

New player (3 days). Playing a Hvy Mech (HBR) and I have a BlackJack. I have went through the Academy, and watched a few videos. I know a bit about BattleTech, but this is my first, first person shooter.

I'm having problems understanding my place in the lance/team. The good players all grab the best tactical spots on the map. I'm left trying to get a shot around them or slightly flanking - that is where I get into trouble/get killed.

I'm getting 150-250 damage, some assist kills, and once in awhile - a kill. I know it is me and not the mech :)

The dark/night maps are a nightmare for me. I would avoid them but I don't get to choose. I know how to turn on N and H vision - that only helps so much. Often times I can't even see a target.

I try to stay with my lance, but often they split up. I realize that I have a lot to learn (how to use lasers better, twisting to spread damage, etc.) I'm working on all those.

My main concern is where should I be in the company during a fight. If I hang back I don't get any damage. If I move to a flank to get a shot, I often get picked off. Any hints?

I'm in a 65 ton mech because I don't want to be dead weight in a 100 ton mech. I can't even consider playing a light yet. In the BJ I was getting killed really fast. At least the HBR has some armor so if (when) I make a mistake I'm not instantly dead. I have one arm armored up and empty, and I'm working on twisting to take more damage there.

I'm getting better with the HBR - I mounted the lasers up top and I peek over hills, and around things, and then back up and reposition. I'm usually not as fast as the reds targeting and I take a fair amount of damage.

Suggestions on another mech/class would be useful, if you think I'm playing the wrong one.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

#2 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 28 May 2019 - 09:26 PM

The number one suggestion I give for new players is to pick a mech in the 50 to 55 ton range that goes 80 to 95kph and follow around an assault mech to act as his wingman. You fire at what he fires at and keep the light mechs from harassing him, with your main objectives being to keep him alive for as long as possible. For build advice put 4 or 5 armour on each rear armour area with everything else up front and creat a build that's cool enough for sustained fire situations.

Which Blackjack do you own? The Hellbringer is a solid mech and its ECM (remember to get both ECM skill nodes as quickly as possible) helps hide you from fire, but the Blackjacks are more fragile so they need some care in terms of build creation and tactics on the battlefield. I've played over 1300 matches in Blackjacks (901 in the BJ-1) and it was the mech in which I got my first 1,000 damage game, so I'd like to try to suggest a build or two plus some tactics to use on the battlefield.

In general the Blackjack has high mounts so it's a good hill peeking mech (you don't have to expose much of the mech to fire over hills) and the ones with jump jets are nice and maneuverable around the battlefield, but it can't take the high damage alpha strikes of today's MWO so should be built for the 300m to 500m range second line so you're a less attractive target than the closer mechs.

#3 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:58 AM

never stop shooting..
never stop moving..
be aware of your surrouding
dont reverse roll off the damage and *keep moving

This game is dynamic and no round is ever the same.

#4 General Solo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:22 AM

yah u gotta be deadly fexible

#5 GweNTLeR

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Universe
  • The Universe
  • 583 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

You surely made a right choice with hellbringer, blackjack is not that great, but still beginner friendly. Both blackjack and hellbringer are quite fragile, so you have to play hit and run tactics if you want to get nice score. Which, of course, requires proper positioning on the battlefield. I don't think it is possible to get the general idea of how to position properly - you just have to experience it yourself. However two things I can tell you :
1 never go into an open field, no cover=instant death;
2 keep up with the team.
And don't forget to go into settings and adjust "gamma" and "brightness" to the value that makes you see better. Mine are just a bit above default.
Also cockpit glass. Just disable it.

Edited by GweNTLeR, 29 May 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#6 Left Overs

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 11:46 AM

I have the BJ-1(c), BJ-3, BJ-A. I have the HBR Prime with omnipods HBR-P (RT), and HBR-A (H) and a slew of clan stuff weapons and gear that I have been trying out.

My first choice would be a 50-55 ton mech (after the suggestion above) and I am willing to buy a mech/bundle. Build suggestion on the BJ would be great because I know I will play it some too. I love the Griffon (in TT and the turn based BT) - though I'm not sure how it would play here. My second favorite is the Marauder. I didn't get to play the Clan mechs much in TT. I have tried all the Academy mechs and do not have a favorite (likely cause I'm so new). I didn't love playing the BJ - it just did the job of getting me enough money to buy the HBR. Again, likely cause I was so new and I know I will play it at some point. I was eaten alive - every time in the BJ by the light mechs. The HBR is fun and most of the mistakes I made with it I have learned from. I know the lore about IS and Clan, but I don't have a side or a house that I have to play - I do like some more than others, but not to the point it will matter now while I learn.

After playing the HBR in a highly competative build, I think I may be better off with a slightly less premium build while I learn. I love Mechwarrior overall so it is really hard to pick a favorite mech. While learning I really like the idea of supporting an assault on my team - I will go with that til I can more clearly define what I want to do. I don't know the maps well enough yet - so I would like the next mech I play to have JJ. Enough to get me unstuck when a canyon ends with no way out. I like being able to shoot at long and short range. One version of the HBR I used had Hvy LL x2 and I was kinda useless at range. So I enjoyed the ER PPC a bit more. Currently I have one of each to give me umph when the fighting gets close and also let me fire something at range. A fast mech sounds good. I did enjoy Machine Guns on my HBR, though I only used one heavy. I have found that playing MWO gives the feel of BT/MW in that each weapon has it's pluses and minuses so I'm not hooked on any weapon type yet.

Ruccus, thanks for the idea to help the assaults with a 50-55 ton. I can do that. What mech(s) and build(s) would you recommend for that task? Also are there any pieces of equipment that I should look at to help the group (AMS, EMC, Etc.)

AAA, I will look for some team-speak channels. Any you could post would be helpful.

Gwentler, thanks for the tip on the Gamma/Brightness. I will look at that for night runs. Anything will help.

Thank you for all the replies. Everyone one of them helped,

#7 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 29 May 2019 - 12:29 PM

First of all, welcome aboard. We are always happy to see new faces.

Having said that, I suggest to stick to IS Mechs in the beginning... They have better armour and as such are more forgiving when you are starting out.

Two Medium IS Mechs that I suggest to everybody that is starting out are the Crab (50 ton Mech) and Bushwacker (55 tons). Both have a very nice sillhuette that makes them fairly sturdy, which improves longevity.

The Crab is a laser boat, and you will do well either playing with all slots medium pulse lasers, or for more range two with Large and the rest medium lasers. The 27 has good utility due to 2 AMS, which is nice for missile heavy days. The 27B has more firepower due to an additional hardpoint and the 27SL can field jump jets. Pick whichever of the three sounds best to you.

The Bushwacker X1 can be used to build a Triple Rac2 boat, which can be stupidly powerful in certain situations.

Both of these Mechs will teach you the basics of the game quite well. There are also any number of Heavy Mechs that always work well. Warhammers, Roughnecks and Marauders do make quite good Heavies.

In the beginning, I would suggest to check the minimap and try to see where most of your team is. Go there and shoot what they shoot. That alone will already set you apart from a good number of players. ;)

It also does help to find a streamer of your choice and watch some of their games. See what they do or do not do. What builds they use or do not use.

#8 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 29 May 2019 - 04:29 PM

View PostLeft Overs, on 29 May 2019 - 11:46 AM, said:

Ruccus, thanks for the idea to help the assaults with a 50-55 ton. I can do that. What mech(s) and build(s) would you recommend for that task? Also are there any pieces of equipment that I should look at to help the group (AMS, EMC, Etc.)

The same 'assist the assaults' tactic can be done with your Blackjacks and Hellbringer instead of a 50 to 55 ton mech, it's just that the Blackjack is more fragile and the Hellbringer is more likely to get targeted (the ECM and three energy hardpoints of the HBR-Prime left torso make it one of the best omnipods in the game so it gets targeted first). You're just trying to not be the center of attention while adding your firepower to your teammates. The critical part is to realise what your teammate wants to do (push forward, pull back, reposition, etc.) and stay close enough to help but not too close that you're in the way and blocking him. Extra equipment like ECM and AMS helps, but that's a bit of build preference that you can decide for yourself.

For the Blackjack BJ-1 try something like this build. AC10 and 4 ERMLs, with a jump jet and a LFE engine. It gives you a decent 30 point pinpoint alpha at around 400m and you'll still be alive if you lose a side torso. The XL option would go something like this build. I used the extra tonnage for an AMS and ton of ammo to help against missiles but you could opt for an extra double heatsink and jump jet to run cooler and jump higher, or a JJ and targeting computer to jump higher and extend the range and critical chance of your weapons. I mentioned that my first 1,000 damage game was in a BJ-1, so this is the build I did it in. It was before the Gauss had a charge up delay (before it acted like any point and shoot weapon, now think of the Gauss Rifle as a bow and arrow - press and hold the button to pull back the bow, release the button to fire when the indicator goes green). With today's newer weaponry I think this build improves on the original build by increasing its effective range.

For the BJ-A Arrow the stock build it actually pretty nice, though it has a bit too much MG ammo. Here's a triple Large Laser build that can put out good damage from further away than the stock build, and here's a more risky but fun AC10 build. Left mouse button for the AC10, right mouse button for everything else, if you have a third mouse button then use it for just the LMGs when hot.

The BJ-3 I'm less familiar with as I like ballistic weapons for my Blackjacks, but maybe something like this, this, and this might give you some ideas.

#9 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:21 AM

View PostLeft Overs, on 28 May 2019 - 06:12 PM, said:

New player (3 days). Playing a Hvy Mech (HBR) and I have a BlackJack. I have went through the Academy, and watched a few videos. I know a bit about BattleTech, but this is my first, first person shooter.

I'm having problems understanding my place in the lance/team. The good players all grab the best tactical spots on the map. I'm left trying to get a shot around them or slightly flanking - that is where I get into trouble/get killed.

I'm getting 150-250 damage, some assist kills, and once in awhile - a kill. I know it is me and not the mech Posted Image

The dark/night maps are a nightmare for me. I would avoid them but I don't get to choose. I know how to turn on N and H vision - that only helps so much. Often times I can't even see a target.

I try to stay with my lance, but often they split up. I realize that I have a lot to learn (how to use lasers better, twisting to spread damage, etc.) I'm working on all those.

My main concern is where should I be in the company during a fight. If I hang back I don't get any damage. If I move to a flank to get a shot, I often get picked off. Any hints?

I'm in a 65 ton mech because I don't want to be dead weight in a 100 ton mech. I can't even consider playing a light yet. In the BJ I was getting killed really fast. At least the HBR has some armor so if (when) I make a mistake I'm not instantly dead. I have one arm armored up and empty, and I'm working on twisting to take more damage there.

I'm getting better with the HBR - I mounted the lasers up top and I peek over hills, and around things, and then back up and reposition. I'm usually not as fast as the reds targeting and I take a fair amount of damage.

Suggestions on another mech/class would be useful, if you think I'm playing the wrong one.

Thanks in advance for any tips,

The first thing you have to understand is that at least half (maybe even most) of your every day experience in Quickplay is pure and simple randomness.
-- You can not influence with whom you play
-- You can not influence with what they play (if loadouts are benefical or toxic to each other even if the builds are good)
-- You can not influence on what map you play (since your oponents and teammates can have a completely different number of votes 1-X depending on how often they did not got what they are voted for your own vote does hardly matter)
-- You can not fathom the actual skill of your oponents since a lot ppl have 2 or three accounts for different purposes (one for FP one for stats one to fool around etc....)
-- even if you see a "high tier" player it can be a total loss for your team since you have no idea how he got there or if its his little son playing or even his own account tier is no indicator for skill

There are basic tips:
-- stay with the team
-- whatch the minimap
-- get a feeling for the maps and vectors / hotspots on the maps
--"follow the friggin atlas" a sayso that if you don't know what to do stay with your assaults (if they are all lrms and snipers and you are not and you are new you are screwed anyway)
-- never hold armor back...in the long run you should distribute damage all over your own team...getting focused one by one is always a faster way to a loss since the loss of firepower iinsede your team is a kind of cascade failure
-- never block passways or run in front of your assaults when they head for a passway, the faster you are the longer should be your way
-- communicate in a very short and precise way: "they are behind us" WRONG
"getting fire from <coordinates and enemy type>"
-- flexible mechs with high dps/low frontload are best for starters since they are less prown to positioning failures and on/off effects
-- some builds/mechs profit more from skilltree than others (i.e. missile builds ECM and stealth builds TAG, NARC and AMS support builds, all big slow mechs that NEED the speed or mnoeverability from the tree) AVOID THEM FOR STARTERS
-- high hardpoints for ranged weapons, arm weapons for pestcontrol

And last but not least see the bigger picture you will have loosing and winning streaks due to factors you can not control or even see so just try to do a decent bit of damage (300 or 350 per game in a consistant manner is okish) and never get impatient in a game.
If you see your team spread out and the first "pros" getting fustrated on coms just beat it --> next game.

#10 Left Overs

• Pip
  • Bridesmaid
  • Bridesmaid
  • 11 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 08:59 PM

What does "low frontload" mean?

So with what I have learned so far... (suggestions still appreciated if you think my logic is wrong)

I will be using the BJ-A until I decide on something else for med. I took off some MG ammo.

I will likely be switching between med and hvy for a bit. I'm leaning toward hvy because so many assaults are on QP.

I couldn't afford the modification needed on the other mechs with the C I have on hand - and I would rather save my C for skills. That being said I will spend some real cash on a mech/pack. Though the idea to buy one engine and move it about is great - that was why I couldn't afford most of the mods needed for other builds.

On heavy I think I will buy the MAD Collectors Pack and Hero. (my HBR is still fun too) Buy buying a bunch that I will play I will have extra weapons and can try other builds. This was my second favorite mech in TT (after the Griffin) so I was thrilled to hear it rated so high on Snuggles video. I haven't watched the whole thing yet and I will likely wait to buy the pack until after I do. My second choice was to buy the S7 package for $30 - because it is a lot of mechs for the $.

I have some MC because I bought some by mistake and I think I will use some to buy the Griffin that is on sale. Simply because I want to own a Griffin. And that one has a nice engine and I can work with the rest. I even spelled Griffin correctly this time (LMAO).

I'm spending more time in the training grounds practicing. Torso twist, move and fire, how to run in a circle (LOL), how to use JJ, etc.) I spent hours in the mechlab playing around. I will be getting on TeamSpeak ASAP. I'm guessing that the LFG in there is to get into a faction play group? I like the idea of playing some not QP. I really like the idea of a team that works together.

On may search for Denairwalkers tier list I found this.
https://docs.google....ieaD4Gmg94/edit
I thought it had a lot of good info, plus the links to important sites. It may be helpful to other new players.

I can't even begin to explain how much help everyone has been. Hopefully I will not have to explain, and you will see it in my playing as I get better.

See you on the battlefield!

#11 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:30 PM

If you do have MC, do yourself a favour and do not use it to buy Mechs that you can also buy with CBills. Save it to either buy Mechbays (which you need to buy additional Mechs beyond the bays you started with) or Hero Mechs, which are the ones that will give you a 30% boost to CBill earnings ingame. There are many really bad Hero Mechs out there, so you might want to ask some people for input before you do.

If you want to buy a Griffin, get a Griffin 2N. It has ECM, and is a good short range fighter. But I would wait a bit with that, tbh. Because if you do play a lot you might want to start with Mechs that offer you more options at mid range, where you do not have to sit and wait for people to enter brawl range. Shooting early and shooting often is the key to doing well. :) Well, and actually hitting what you shoot at. ;)

Mechbays are on sale quite often, then you can get one for 150 MC instead of the standard 300. It might make sense to buy a bunch when they are cheap, because it is really expensive to find a Mech you really want and then having to spend double to actually store it somewhere.

#12 Ruccus

• The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:44 PM

View PostLeft Overs, on 30 May 2019 - 08:59 PM, said:

What does "low frontload" mean?

Front loaded damage is damage that's delivered immediately. A PPC or Gauss Rifle is front loaded damage because it delivers its entire amount of damage when it hits. Lasers are damage over time which deliver their damage over the course of their burn time, giving enemies a chance to torso twist to spread the damage among different parts of the mech. There is also pinpoint damage which delivers damage to one spot rather than spreading to a general area around the targeting reticule. For example an AC20+2SNPPC build is FLPPD (front loaded pinpoint damage) and even though it's only 40 points of damage it can be very effective because it can deal all its damage up front and to one point of the mech.

There's nothing wrong with spread damage weapons like LBXes and missiles, or damage over time weapons like lasers and MRMs, but you have to recognize that one 40 damage alpha strike can be much more effective than another 40 damage alpha strike depending on what weapons are used. Another point to mention since you'll be using the Blackjack Arrow is that machineguns are hitscan weapons - they act like lasers and the bullets coming out of your mech are just art. If you try to lead the enemy target you won't hit with your MGs so treat them like lasers.

Lastly what I'd suggest is to just have fun with the mechs you have for the next month and on June 25th the Steam Summer sale should start. When it starts it's very likely that the Solaris 7 pack on Steam will go on sale (usually for around $20 or so). It provides you with 7 hero mechs with mechbays (all with 30% c-bill bonuses), 30 days premium time, and some other stuff. The mechs in the Solaris 7 pack are the Firestarter hero, Firestorm, the Ubrbanmech hero Street Cleaner, the Griffin hero Ares, the Rifleman hero Dao Breaker, the Mad Dog hero Revanant (only clan mech), the Banshee hero Siren, and in the Atlas hero Kraken.

The Solaris 7 pack will give you a bunch of new hero mechs to play with (including a Griffin hero) for not a huge amount of money and the mistakes you make over the next month shouldn't be as costly and willl help you learn how to shape your builds to be more effective for you.

#13 TheCaptainJZ

• The CyberKnight
  • The CyberKnight
  • 3,655 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:22 AM

The Solaris 7 pack is a good value any way you slice it, but not all the mechs are super. The Street Cleaner is fine and the Dao Breaker is fine. I think the Revanant is fine but I struggle in it for some reason (only Mad Dog I own). I struggle with the Sirena nd Kracken but I also struggle in assaults anyway. Firestorm should be ok--once upon a time Firestarters were great mechs but with more introduced, they don't do so well anymore. I have struggled with the Ares too because I've tried playing it short range and nowadays everyone is playing assualts. In general, my performance feels a little worse in the past couple of years because I havent played MWO as much as I used to and because of power creep from new weapons and mechs. They are just so much more powerful than they used to be. So in my case, it's the player ;)

#14 The Basilisk

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,269 posts
  • LocationFrankfurt a.M.

Posted 02 June 2019 - 02:34 AM

Frontloaded damage also means you have a hit or miss effect.
On the one hand it CAN be a lot more effective on the other hand it is hit or miss.
A 40 dmg alpha in the hill or right into nowhere is zero damage.
Rapidfire weapons like smal calliber autocannons, ultra autocannons or hitscan weapons like laserswill enable you to get a little damage on target at least. You will notice when your targeting gets more effective when you see your enemys go down faster as you get better in holding your damage focused on enemy components.

Also an other hint:
Sure the best way to reduce the enemys ability to hurt you is killing him fast but there are lots of situation where you will not be able to do this.
So instead of targetting the enemys center torso for a kill or his heavyly armored leggs look out for damaged arms and sidetorsos that carry weapons.

#15 shaytalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 271 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 12:45 PM

Don't always wait for a clear, perfect shot at optimal range with things like lasers and ACs. Tagging the enemy with even a little damage before they were ready to trade can cause them to retreat back, meaning you got free damage instead of a trade. Better yet, it may cause them to turn their back to you, which is this game's version of exposing their soft underbelly. Shoot them again. X)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users