Ballistic Rifleman = Hot + Slow?

16 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:59 AM

And I'm not talking about the Rifleman IIC, i meant the IS rifleman. I would really like to have Rifleman IIC, but not like I'm rich to just buy it. So I bought the next best thing, the IS Rifleman.

I Picked up the 8D, the one with JJ, for the JJ, and maybe a bit of that RAC dissipation quirk. But in my best result is the 2x UAC10 + 4x ERSL | LFE225 + 1x JJ. In my experience -- perhaps being just a bad player -- my build ends up kinda hot. 4x ERML + AC10 = hot, 2x RAC5 + 4x ERML = hot with bad reactivity.

I felt that the XL is a big no-no considering that the side-torso are easy to destroy, while the Rifleman with it's dakka build has a tendency to stare. Something I felt with the 2x UAC10, on top of being just hot too -- and I'm not even using the ERSL. The heat-gauge just builds up with good sustained fire.

So is ballistic rifleman, to be competitive does end up slow? Any good ballistic builds for the IS rifleman? Should I just dump my symmetrical sensibilities and just build it with one good heavy ballistic like a UAC20, AC20, or GR? Should I just suck up the vulnerable side-torso and go all out with XL engine?

Edited by The6thMessenger, 30 May 2019 - 03:04 AM.

#2 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:24 AM

LFE with with ballistics... That's a no no.

XL. I XL All all ballistic Jager/Rifleman. You have too.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:27 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 30 May 2019 - 03:24 AM, said:

Like this?

#4 Rosh87

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • 84 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:51 AM

I run my best IS Rifleman (the one with 4 Ballistics in the arms) with an LFE just fine. My current setup is as follows:

Rifleman-3C
------------------------------

Standard Armor / Double HS / Endo Steel

4 LB-2x shotguns (2 in each arm)

4 ER Small Lasers (2 in each Torso)

-------

6 Tons of LB-2x ammo (distributed however you like)

-------

LFE-225 (60.8 kmh)

Armor Setup: 40 (arms) // 51 Front - 5 Back (Torsos) // 10 (Head) // 76 Front - 5 Back (Center Torso) // 43 (both Legs)

========

Give that a shot and see how it works for ya ! I find it great for long-range fire support as you can get off the shots crazy fast with the 3C's quirks (Ballistic Cooldown and Range +10% each) - and a full skill tree (heavy into Firepower, of course) Posted Image

60 / 60 Tons total

#5 Znozoic

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 133 posts
  • Locationin the *** of the world, literally (argentina)

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:02 AM

ash... rly? xl in the rifleman, whit that torso and no armor in it?... and xl in a jagger... a wall for missiles?... i dont know...

#6 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:22 AM

mine run with an LFE, even in the NascarQueue, just fine - imo.

ofc they'd run BETTER with an XL - to a certain point. just depends on how good you can shield / the others shoot.
imo, it's not -that- hard to shoot a shoulder on a roflman or MickJaggerMech, so..
personally, I'd rather stick with the LFE (for now).

4 LBX2 is fun, as is 3 (more ammo) and some MedLasers. ACs and UACs also fun and good. 2LBX10 is for the hero (imo), but can ofc also be done.

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 30 May 2019 - 04:25 AM.

#7 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:36 AM

You don't have to, you just run hot when you don't, so exactly the problem OP has. Well, that or lack of weapons.

I generally agree tho, XL is a way to go with RFL/JM. Except for S7 where you don't need an engine to begin with.

#8 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 30 May 2019 - 04:51 AM

What's the one with 4x MG 2x LB10's and 2x medium lasers, used to be ok even with an XL, glass as but really good in the right situation. Was good 2 years ago at least.

#9 Hestan

• PipPipPip
  • The Deadly
  • The Deadly
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 05:39 AM

View PostZnozoic, on 30 May 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

ash... rly? xl in the rifleman, whit that torso and no armor in it?... and xl in a jagger... a wall for missiles?... i dont know...

He is right for the most part. The Rifleman and the IIC both have proportionally large CT compared to ST. You usually die from CT death and not ST XL death. It has always been one of the safer heavies to XL in. The new IIC is even more prone to CT death.

#10 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:10 AM

View PostHestan, on 30 May 2019 - 05:39 AM, said:

He is right for the most part. The Rifleman and the IIC both have proportionally large CT compared to ST. You usually die from CT death and not ST XL death. It has always been one of the safer heavies to XL in. The new IIC is even more prone to CT death.

I agree with the Rifleman being more XL-friendly than the public lets on, but I'm not so sure about the Jager...

#11 AncientRaig

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Guardian
  • Guardian
  • 584 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 09:57 AM

https://mwo.smurfy-n...2159ea1d5b68148

This is the build I run in my Rifleman 8D. It's easily my favorite Rifleman setup. The Rifleman has a large enough CT that I've almost never died to being XL popped, and the few times I have my CT was also stripped open and just about ready to pop. I run it with both of the ammo nodes and it has enough ammo to pull some serious damage numbers. I've broken 1k damage with this several times. I've also messed around with 2 LB10 and 4 ML on the 3N, but I find this setup to be much more enjoyable and consistent.

#12 WrathOfDeadguy

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 30 May 2019 - 10:17 AM

With the 8D I ended up ditching the backup weapons for two more jets, and just built the 'Mech as an AC10 poptart. The alpha is seriously underwhelming; I'd rather have UAC10s for this, but honestly they're just too painful to use without jam chance quirks.

I am, however, tempted to try this next. I've been a fan of AC20+SNPPC combos since newtech dropped, and it does address the pathetic alpha issue while not completely ruining the 'Mech as a poptart. The other option is to just toss out ballistics altogether and go dual HPPC, which just makes a way better poptart than dual large ballistics because of all the no-longer-wasted tonnage and slots.

All in all, I'd much rather be working with the 3C, 3N, or LK for ballistic builds, and just use a different 'Mech for poptarting, but... since I have all of the other IS Riflemen already, and their builds satisfy just about every other niche a RFL could possibly be useful in, I wanted the 8D to be doing something different. Hence the sad attempts at big-AC poptarting.

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 30 May 2019 - 02:16 PM

View PostZnozoic, on 30 May 2019 - 04:02 AM, said:

Anything ballistic, is XL for me. Almost always. You've seen me stream enough to know that surely! My Jager is XL as well.

You play them as fire support. You cannot be inside 600m. You need XL for the speed and cooling and need to use it to constantly reposition.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 30 May 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#14 TWIAFU

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 4,011 posts
  • LocationBell's Brewery, MI

Posted 30 May 2019 - 03:49 PM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 30 May 2019 - 04:22 AM, said:

NascarQueue

I actually LOL'd so hard, pee'd a little.

Thx TMNU!

o7

#15 Horseman

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 4,701 posts
  • LocationPoland

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:04 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 30 May 2019 - 02:59 AM, said:

And I'm not talking about the Rifleman IIC, i meant the IS rifleman. I would really like to have Rifleman IIC, but not like I'm rich to just buy it. So I bought the next best thing, the IS Rifleman.

I Picked up the 8D, the one with JJ, for the JJ, and maybe a bit of that RAC dissipation quirk. But in my best result is the 2x UAC10 + 4x ERSL | LFE225 + 1x JJ. In my experience -- perhaps being just a bad player -- my build ends up kinda hot. 4x ERML + AC10 = hot, 2x RAC5 + 4x ERML = hot with bad reactivity.

I felt that the XL is a big no-no considering that the side-torso are easy to destroy, while the Rifleman with it's dakka build has a tendency to stare. Something I felt with the 2x UAC10, on top of being just hot too -- and I'm not even using the ERSL. The heat-gauge just builds up with good sustained fire.

So is ballistic rifleman, to be competitive does end up slow? Any good ballistic builds for the IS rifleman? Should I just dump my symmetrical sensibilities and just build it with one good heavy ballistic like a UAC20, AC20, or GR? Should I just suck up the vulnerable side-torso and go all out with XL engine?

I run my RFLs with 2xUAC10 + LFE250 + Endo + Ferro. Rest of tonnage into 4.5 tons of ammo (5 if you shave the legs more).
If you always double-tap the 10s as fast as you can, that's your heat problem right there - pace your second tap a little later and the heat management will be fine.

Edited by Horseman, 31 May 2019 - 05:17 AM.

#16 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 03:37 AM

I just do Heavy peeps on the JJ rifleman. Rifleman is kind of not in a good place IMO, but that one is especially bad.

#17 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 31 May 2019 - 07:41 AM

Nope, Rifleman does NOT have any hidden ballistic heat negative quirk.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users