Frustrated Attack

21 replies to this topic

#1 Bunny Wigglesworth

• PipPip
  • The Pest
  • 28 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 08:42 PM

Here is the set up. I am on polar highlands with an ECM Arctic Wolf SRM boat. I tell my team that that I am going to swing wide, and try to attack them from behind. I spend nearly 3 minutes running the long way around, spotting mechs for my team on the way. I finally get into position behind them, and I tell my team I am moving in to attack an Ultraviolet who has his back to me, and no clue I am there. My team knows I am attacking. And when I get to about 200 meters, SOME FREAKING IDIOT drops arty right at the Dire Wolf's feet. He sees the smoke, and turns around to run, right into me. Suddenly he knows I am there, and so does the entire enemy team. I can't blow the back out of his mech and take him down with 2 quick shots. No. Now I have to scramble to get out of his line of sight and ditch the other 2 mechs that are now heading after me. Seriously people, when somebody tells you what they are doing, and tells you that they are about to attack somebody from behind, DON'T screw up their attack by drawing attention to them. That Dire Wolf would have been out of the game. The only good thing was that there was a catapult on their team who wasn't paying attention, and I got to do a XL engine check from behind as I tried to reposition. Yup. It was an XL. I mean, we did end up winning the game. And I did get a stalker, and most of a Warhammer IIC, so it could have been much worse. But there are times when you don't need to "help" a team mate. It is a good way to get them killed. Yes, I can imagine how entitled this post sounds. But had he dropped the arty on anybody else, or held off until I finished my run, I wouldn't have wasted 3 minutes setting up that attack.

#2 Snowhawk

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:06 PM

This reminds me of the following (we have this in german, don't know of this exists in english):

- No plan survives the contact with the enemy

- In "the heat of the fight"… there can be mistakes

Edited by Snowhawk, 23 May 2019 - 09:07 PM.

#3 Aidan Crenshaw

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:12 PM

The first phrase is from Sun-Tzu's "Art of War" and it's been translated nearly as often as the bible. So yes Posted Image

#4 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:13 PM

lol it's a DWF.

You ran away in a ACW? The DWF agility is that bad you could easily have taken it out.

#5 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 23 May 2019 - 09:34 PM

Maybe he was trying to soften him up for you :)

#6 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 23 May 2019 - 10:08 PM

who could've guessed that the dire pilot would derp hard and slowly turn his back to the enemy firing line?

#7 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:32 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 23 May 2019 - 10:08 PM, said:

who could've guessed that the dire pilot would derp hard and slowly turn his back to the enemy firing line?

Except firing line is most likely like 1.5-1.8 km away and will do nothing.

#8 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:35 AM

Possibly so. Nonetheless, turning that brick instead of pushing through the smoke is still a bad decision in my book.

#9 A Man In A Can

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,594 posts
  • LocationRetired

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:47 AM

All Systems Nominal #5, just with different mechs and a flatter map.

#10 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:48 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 May 2019 - 12:35 AM, said:

Possibly so. Nonetheless, turning that brick instead of pushing through the smoke is still a bad decision in my book.

So is dropping a strike on your own light mech. So is, in fact, dropping a strike on a single mech being nowhere doing nothing instead of hitting a group of frontline enemies.

#11 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 12:53 AM

True and true, ofc. Okay, in fact, the ACW is a medium Posted Image

#12 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 01:28 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 May 2019 - 12:53 AM, said:

True and true, ofc. Okay, in fact, the ACW is a medium

So is the Cicada, but we both know they aren't.

#13 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:21 AM

I give you the Cic, but i'd argue the ACW omni, because it's engine locked to 97kph.

#14 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 02:27 AM

so.. you're really surprised that people like your teammate play selfishly in QP?

I mean, even if it's not the smartest move.. on the contrary: because it is not smart, you should know it will probably happen.
welcome to QP.

*that wolfhead next to my name.. I feel so dirty. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 24 May 2019 - 02:28 AM.

#15 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:35 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 23 May 2019 - 09:13 PM, said:

lol it's a DWF.

You ran away in a ACW? The DWF agility is that bad you could easily have taken it out.

Well he did mention it was a DWF plus two other mechs that were suddenly bearing down on him. Sure you can take out 100 tons, but at the cost of 40. A good trade, but given he managed to down 150 tons at the cost of zero, that's a better trade. It just could have been 250 tons.

#16 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 03:35 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 24 May 2019 - 02:21 AM, said:

I give you the Cic, but i'd argue the ACW omni, because it's engine locked to 97kph.

Huh? ... ACW-1, i.e. THE SRM Bomber ACW is a battlemech. There is literally no point in boating (if you can call having four missile hardpoints that) SRMs in a 40t mech that goes 97-102kph, when you can do it in a 65t mech that goes 97-102kph, so I'm fairly certain he didn't do it in ACW-Prime.

#17 Catnium

• PipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 72 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:47 AM

View PostAidan Crenshaw, on 23 May 2019 - 09:12 PM, said:

The first phrase is from Sun-Tzu's "Art of War" and it's been translated nearly as often as the bible. So yes Posted Image

Wrong
the 1st one was the plans and enigma machine decoder they lost to the allies

#18 Aidan Crenshaw

• The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 3,575 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:06 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 24 May 2019 - 03:35 AM, said:

Huh? ... ACW-1, i.e. THE SRM Bomber ACW is a battlemech. There is literally no point in boating (if you can call having four missile hardpoints that) SRMs in a 40t mech that goes 97-102kph, when you can do it in a 65t mech that goes 97-102kph, so I'm fairly certain he didn't do it in ACW-fPrime.

OP mentioned having ECM, so I guess it's the Omni.

#19 GoodTry

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 268 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:27 AM

Honestly a 3-minute flank is way too long to spend not shooting people. Keep in mind that if it takes you 3 minutes to get there, it's probably going to take you a bit to get back to where you should be.

I'm also not sure that a 97kph ACW is the best mech to do that with. If the DWF player is any good, he's going to turn around after the first shot. The ACW is fairly tall and squishy, and the DWF typically has arm weapons, so you may either lose a 1v1 or come out very damaged. Plus, if you don't wipe him out right away, the other team is going to know your position and come for you anyway. At 97kph you may have a tough time evading them, and with SRMs on Polar you're probably not going to get a lot of damage in as they chase you.

If there was really a 3-minute delay between when you said "I'm going to flank that guy" and when the strike was dropped, then I don't really blame whoever dropped it. They probably forgot or figured you went off to do something else. Plus it sounds like the strike was pretty effective in deterring the DWF for a bit.

#20 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:39 AM

View PostBunny Wigglesworth, on 23 May 2019 - 08:42 PM, said:

But there are times when you don't need to "help" a team mate. It is a good way to get them killed. Yes, I can imagine how entitled this post sounds. But had he dropped the arty on anybody else, or held off until I finished my run, I wouldn't have wasted 3 minutes setting up that attack.

Look on the Brightside, at least he tried to help. I'd rather have a team-mate who tries to help over one who hides at the back leaching off my locks for his pokes/lurms. This is assuming he was helping you and not just spamming a strike on a target you locked, in which case he falls in to that later camp.

Bad help is usually better than no help. It's a team game and the very fact that he's considering what his teammates are doing means he's going to learn something beyond the usual "take a meta-build and hide behind a hill".

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users