Remember The Fallen - Appropriate Description?

General Social

35 replies to this topic

#1 Frith

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:01 PM

The description of the "Remember the Fallen" event troubles me a little bit. While I understand MWO has an international player base, the sole purpose of Memorial Day in the United States is to honor and remember military personnel who died while serving and defending the United States.

I belive it is a good idea to honor MechWarrior participants who have passed on, but I'm not sure this is the appropriate way to do it. Every country around the globe has lost military members serving their nations. It would seem more appropriate to have the event honor their fallen military personnel as well.

For those who would tell me I'm wrong, or to offer harsh criticism of my opinion, (expletive deleted) you. I served, and I think it appropriate to respect the memory of those military personnel who were lost, on the one day a year set aside for them.

USAF, 1984 - 2010

Edited by Frith, 24 May 2019 - 04:08 PM.

#2 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:11 PM

There are several countries that have their own equivalent of America's Memorial Day, but all of them are on entirely different days. The ones I found in a quick search are:

UK: The Sunday closest to November 11th
South Korea: June 6th
France: November 11th
New Zealand and Australia: April 25th
Turkey: March 18th
Nigeria: January 15th (was November 11th at one point but got changed)
Italy: November 4th
Canada: November 11th

At most you could get France and Canada both in one event (maybe squeeze in Italy and UK if the event is more than 1 week long). Definitely not gonna be able to squeeze in the others in one single event.

It's not like PGI was planning this in advance and decided to intentionally exclude the rest of the world. They just saw an opportunity with a holiday coming in just a few days. And quite frankly the fallen can be honored on any day of the year.

#3 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,703 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 24 May 2019 - 04:51 PM

I think we can all agree to remember all the Fallen worldwide on Memorial day.
Let us never forget.
USAF 1979 - 1988
Retired Law Enforcement 1989 to 2019
Posted Image

Edited by Novakaine, 24 May 2019 - 04:51 PM.

#4 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 May 2019 - 05:12 PM

There are a lot of players in MWO who have served in some capacity, I'm not sure how this event is offensive. Y'all have veteran's day mattress sales fer goodness sake.

#5 Frith

• PipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:20 PM

View PostRickySpanish, on 24 May 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

There are a lot of players in MWO who have served in some capacity, I'm not sure how this event is offensive. Y'all have veteran's day mattress sales fer goodness sake.

I didn't say "offensive", I said it troubled me. Veteran's Day honors those who served, Memorial Day honors those who served and died. I doubt mattress sales are of much use to military members who lost their lives in service of their nation.

#6 Xeno Phalcon

• Bad Company
  • 2,461 posts
  • LocationEvening Ladies

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

View PostFrith, on 24 May 2019 - 06:20 PM, said:

I didn't say "offensive", I said it troubled me. Veteran's Day honors those who served, Memorial Day honors those who served and died. I doubt mattress sales are of much use to military members who lost their lives in service of their nation.

View PostRickySpanish, on 24 May 2019 - 05:12 PM, said:

Yeah we have memorial day sales too. https://www.techrada...-day-sales-2019

#7 arcana75

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 1,161 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:11 PM

Well if you want to wade into being offended or not territory, first realise that soldiers who have fought and died, fought and died against other countries and their populace. Many of these wars aren't fought for virtue or some semblance of good, but purely political stands.

Some countries don't celebrate holidays for soldiers or those who have served or fallen, instead they commemorate specific events eg WW1 and WW2 and everyone involved, it's just not a holiday, not something to celebrate. I've served and thankfully never gone into combat and my country has never willfully started any wars, only participated in peacekeeping missions.

I can imagine one country celebrating their soldiers, may not sit well with another country that has suffered under the former country's aggression and brutality by boots on the ground or bombs from the sky.

That said, MWO is just not the place for such politics. It's a videogame. There's an event over the weekend. I play. I don't bother myself with what the event is meant for, at that applies even to events like Valentine's, St Patrick's, Easter, XMas, etc etc.

#8 Red5angel

• PipPipPip
  • The Money Maker
  • The Money Maker
  • 68 posts
  • LocationNorthglenn Colorado

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:56 PM

It's fine, if you're in a country that doesn't honor the fallen then use this at the oppurtunity.

US Army 2009-2014
Colorado Air National Guard (active) Currently

#9 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:02 PM

Good lord. Honor your fallen servicemen, regardless of nation.

#10 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:17 PM

First World Problems.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,781 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:25 AM

warriors are men of honor. i have other thoughts about those who command them from afar.

i wanted to join the usmc but i was deemed too mentally unstable.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 May 2019 - 12:29 AM.

#12 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 01:23 AM

View PostFrith, on 24 May 2019 - 04:01 PM, said:

The description of the "Remember the Fallen" event troubles me a little bit. While I understand MWO has an international player base, the sole purpose of Memorial Day in the United States is to honor and remember military personnel who died while serving and defending the United States.

The german Volkstrauertag is what you are looking for:
It commemorates members of the armed forces and civilians who died in armed conflicts, to include victims of violent oppression, of all nations.

(The last part is only in the german wiki, not in the english version?)
https://en.wikipedia.../Volkstrauertag

Edited by Kroete, 25 May 2019 - 01:45 AM.

#13 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostBlaizerP, on 24 May 2019 - 08:02 PM, said:

Good lord. Honor your fallen servicemen, regardless of nation.

well this could be an issue in this country.

not that it matter, but those that played mwo and passed should be remembered, but why on this day?
heck why even do this by virtually killing other guys. that leaves a sour taste
is it really necessary to use "our" holydays and make Battletech holydays?

why not choose dates that fall into remarkable battletech days?
Melissa Bombing
Hanse get a Stroke
Victor got impaled by a Katana and didn't die
Kai stuffed something into a Gaussrifle and didn't die

or 6th of June, Liberation of Terra day. founding of the StarLeague.
there are tons of events that could be turned into appropriate Sales and Events

Edited by Karl Streiger, 25 May 2019 - 03:15 AM.

#14 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:42 AM

View PostKarl Streiger, on 25 May 2019 - 03:09 AM, said:

well this could be an issue in this country.

not that it matter, but those that played mwo and passed should be remembered, but why on this day?
heck why even do this by virtually killing other guys. that leaves a sour taste
is it really necessary to use "our" holydays and make Battletech holydays?

Maybe because it's Americas style to commercialize even holidays like this.
There are no freaking mattress and everything else sales in Finlands equivalent holiday.
You don't know it exist or if you by some wonder do, not when it is because it is OUR holiday and does not concern rest of the world.
For some reason rest of the world knows pretty much every USA holiday.

#15 Bishop Six

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Pharaoh
  • The Pharaoh
  • 806 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:56 AM

Hey US,

we germans hopefully learned from the past. Unfortunately i have to inform you that most of your last wars didnt go well for big parts of the world.

In other countries there is also a focus on war crimes of US, their cheap excuses for starting wars and destabilizing whole regions like middle east and so on.

The US impact on progress of global humanity is huge and that for years. Unfortunately US global politics is mainly focused on US advantages. The advantage for one is the disadvantage for another one.

I know maybe some of you will shake their heads now. But remember we are here in the forum from countries all over the world, including countries where US bombs fell and still are falling.

Sorry, there is absolutely nothing to celebrate. The actual migration crisis in Europe is mainly caused of Texas shooting behaviour of Bush / Obama era.

#16 Kroete

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 931 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:36 AM

View PostCurccu, on 25 May 2019 - 03:42 AM, said:

There are no freaking mattress and everything else sales in Finlands equivalent holiday.

At Volkstrauertag there are all shops and factorys closed, there is no party or disco and there is no cinema,
everyone should remember all victims in all conflicts and have the time for it, is the idea behind of this.

How can you honor someone by buying a matress?
How can you learn from the past, if you are running for a sale?
Is this some form of selling of indulgences i dont understand?
Sounds like the victims are used like pumpkins to increase the sales
or did i miss any (great) difference to halloween?

Edited by Kroete, 25 May 2019 - 04:50 AM.

#17 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:51 AM

View PostCurccu, on 25 May 2019 - 03:42 AM, said:

You don't know it exist or if you by some wonder do, not when it is because it is OUR holiday and does not concern rest of the world.
For some reason rest of the world knows pretty much every USA holiday.

No niin mutta Kuopiossa on Rokki kokki ;)

#18 lobsterhierarchy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:30 AM

Good lord can you people give it a rest or get counseling? There’s no grand cabals of Americans forming jack booted thugs ready to stick you in a camp because you don’t go grill some hot dogs and buy a vet a beer.

Be happy for once and recognize there was some good in the world done by service members. Take out your doom and gloom on something we can all agree we hate...MWO :)

#19 Heavenward

• PipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 72 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:37 AM

We should all take time to remember the fallen, all countries as stated by people on the forum here have there own days to do this.

That said, on June the 6th it is the 75th anniversary of the Normandy Landings, it might be appropriate to have an event then as well to remember all the service personnel that fell on that day regardless of nationality as that was a truly multinational operation.

We must never forget the sacrifices made in the past that allow us to live our lives as we do in the present.

#20 Marquis De Lafayette

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

Bishop,

That is about the most moronic response imaginable to US Memorial Day. So, I can only assume as a non-American you just don’t understand it. It’s not a day the US celebrates past wars or US foreign policy. It’s a day for the US to reflect on and mourn the human COST of past decisions made (right or wrong). If you are anti-US making war.....you should encourage more of such reflection on the part of the US (so the US government would maybe show a bit more restraint in the future). One would think even the most anti-US parts of the world would want the US to focus more on the human costs of war. The truly stupid part of Memorial Day is it’s commericalization...but that’s just everything nowadays. It’s a long weekend in the US, so US players will probably be active.....so I get why PGI did this event and don’t begrudge them for doing it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users