65 replies to this topic

#1 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 06:53 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 24 May 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

• Do not like being locked to a Faction for an entire Conflict. Requesting every match, but that is not possible as it would completely mess up the Match Maker and swapping frequently like that will lead to chaos in between matches as overbalancing becomes an issue. We can however, allow a switch every Phase.

Thanks for the fairly quick response Paul.

I think I speak for the majority when I say, the ability to swap sides on a whim is far more important to us than a functioning matchmaker.

The MM itself is effectively useless anyways, no matter how well built it is since there isnt the population for it to even factor in. With one side so depleted on pilots (in NA primetime the wolves), we always end up against the first 12 random pickups, the MM doesnt change it because there is no 13th mans or beyond to pick from.

Another Dynamic I am sure you are unaware of is the effect strong teams have on the queue.

When BCMC/Evil are out in force on one side, the opposing side very quickly dries up. We have had to empty out our friends lists because many notable units actively dodge playing us.

If we are not swapping sides regularly the units on the other side quit playing period. (shout out to 601 though, they keep coming back).

#2 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:05 PM

i knew an mm would never work with the available population. the only way it could have worked is by bringing more pugs in. but you cant drop as a pug with the damn thing either without getting constantly dropped. fp has gone from the best its ever been to the worst pretty much overnight. roll it back.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 May 2019 - 07:06 PM.

#3 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 24 May 2019 - 07:16 PM

A matchmaker would have had value if there was something to bring back players instead of trying to get people to play FW instead of QP. We had thousands and thousands of players who enjoyed FW once upon a time. Most of us still have contact with them to various degrees. We just don't have anything to pitch to them to get them back. Saying 'well there's theoretically a matchmaker but we're lucky to get any matches to launch so it's not really effective' isn't going to do that.

#4 K O Z A K

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 24 May 2019 - 08:31 PM

if we can't get a drop, we won't be able to play the game, this isn't ***** rocket science, pls bring back the ability to find games, because that's what you took away by removing the option to instantly switch sides

#5 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 26 May 2019 - 08:28 AM

Faction play is so poorly client supported because it's not a single player friendly game mode.

To me, I don't understand why procedurally generated maps haven't been made across game modes. People rip their hair out watching their team rotate around the same terrain feature for 5 years straight. At this point what does it matter how many cool new mech's and game modes come out if the battlefield never changes. 9 out of 10 games result in rotate anticlockwise and repeat there is nothing engaging about that once you've stayed long enough in the game to master a favorite mech.

Procedural maps are infinite game content once the foundation is built.
They would bring a source of game diversity that new mech's and game modes can't bring to the table.

There is 2 mech pack's I would buy today if I could stand to play the pug Que maps more than occasionally.
I also have minor gripes with how factions are balanced and don't wish to drop money on arbitrarily weaker or stronger tech for the sake of game law in a game trying to have a somewhat fair sporting playing field.
(A cross against Faction play)
That's my take on why MWO has hemorrhaged so many of it's base population,knocking on to negative effects in MM and creating an environment where only the core are left and the learning curve for new players(new cash) trying to get a feel for the game get thrown in and stomped with guys at the peak of their game and sync droppers.

I haven't played much in months and had a break for a couple of years. For some reason I'm supposed to be as good as the guys who play every day according to MM.

Server performance, game engine, lag or bandwidth?: Some times on occasion when you pull the trigger the weapons don't even fire, how is that possible that even client side nothing is happening on the most fundamental element of the game. There are weird circumstances where it feels like you can be locked out of dealing and receiving damage for what feels like the same amount of trigger and face time.

This isn't supposed to be salty, it's supposed to be a critique or offer an answer to why I play other games that compete for my attention.I'll just be one person out of hundreds or thousands I guess, but just bothered to come back and comment.
I hope things pick up.

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 26 May 2019 - 08:30 AM.

#6 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:26 PM

Actually matchmaker should trump switching sides because switching sides shouldn’t matter. Think about it. What happens when there is 24 Loyalist in queue all on the same side. What, we should suffer because we didn’t choose to be Merc? No not at all. If there is 24 players in queue match maker should put together a game using the below priority.

Primary Focus:
1. Premade vs Premade
2. Pug vs Pug
3. Pug vs Premade

Secondary Focus:
1. IS vs Clan
2. Loyalist vs Merc
3. Same vs Same
4. Freelance fills the gaps

No one has to switch sides to get a game but a lot of Permades will hate this because it means they can’t swap sides to avoid each other. It also means you can’t seal club except as a last resort for matchmaker. There would need to be an odd number of both premade and Pug teams in queue.

Edited by SeventhSL, 26 May 2019 - 03:29 PM.

#7 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 06:00 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 26 May 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Actually matchmaker should trump switching sides because switching sides shouldn’t matter. Think about it. What happens when there is 24 Loyalist in queue all on the same side. What, we should suffer because we didn’t choose to be Merc? No not at all. If there is 24 players in queue match maker should put together a game using the below priority.

Primary Focus:
1. Premade vs Premade
2. Pug vs Pug
3. Pug vs Premade

Secondary Focus:
1. IS vs Clan
2. Loyalist vs Merc
3. Same vs Same

No one has to switch sides to get a game but a lot of Permades will hate this because it means they can’t swap sides to avoid each other. It also means you can’t seal club except as a last resort for matchmaker. There would need to be an odd number of both premade and Pug teams in queue.

No your ******* wrong. Match > anything. We don’t avoid anyone

Edited by Ragnar Baron Leiningen, 26 May 2019 - 06:01 PM.

#8 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 26 May 2019 - 07:07 PM

View PostRagnar Baron Leiningen, on 26 May 2019 - 06:00 PM, said:

No your ******* wrong. Match > anything. We don’t avoid anyone

Yes Match is > Anything. I agree. That is why match maker > swapping sides because you should not have to swap sides to get a match. Please re-read what I wrote.

#9 Natural Predator

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 690 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 05:16 AM

You get matched by swapping sides.... the matchmaker is irrelevant if you don’t have enough people clan or is.

#10 lobsterhierarchy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 100 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:10 AM

There’s not enough of an organized presence in faction play let alone *a* presence enough to justify locking in sides. I liked the idea up until you get 36 nova cats and 5 smoke jag in queue.

I’d be up for a queue viewer to see who is on the other side to balance things out. When you’ve got 2 12 mans in one side and 5 organized guys on the other trying to carry the team, the latter side is going to dry up fast due to frustration and lack of balance.

@Hobbles
Have you guys considered splitting BCMC to two separate sides to even things up and draw more players in? Semi competent players will stay around then rather than trying to yell at the 4 turds on our team using lrms on siege assault :P I’m sure you guys enjoy playing together and stomping around, but if you can’t find matches and you know the reason why, why don’t you try to change that?

#11 K O Z A K

• 2,322 posts
  • LocationTrue North Strong and Free

Posted 27 May 2019 - 07:59 AM

View PostSeventhSL, on 26 May 2019 - 03:26 PM, said:

Primary Focus:
1. Premade vs Premade
2. Pug vs Pug
3. Pug vs Premade

Secondary Focus:
1. IS vs Clan
2. Loyalist vs Merc
3. Same vs Same

That would be awesome. Unfortunately I dont believe they have the capacity to do something like that (I'd love to be proven wrong). In the meantime allowing insta switch isn't the best, but an almost necessary bandaid. We need to be able to drop when theres over 24 players in que

#12 FrontlineAssembly

• PipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 84 posts
  • LocationFort Smith Arkansas...can't belive I moved to Arkansas of all places....

Posted 27 May 2019 - 01:54 PM

Thanks Hobbles. 601 isn't going to dodge BCMC/EVIl. We enjoy the matches!
And you are completely correct about the match maker!

#13 SeventhSL

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Galaxy Commander
  • Galaxy Commander
  • 505 posts
  • LocationAustralia

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:39 PM

View PostFrontlineAssembly, on 27 May 2019 - 01:54 PM, said:

Thanks Hobbles. 601 isn't going to dodge BCMC/EVIl. We enjoy the matches!
And you are completely correct about the match maker!

Just to be clear, the match maker I proposed will create a game if it has 24 players regardless of what side of the queue they are on. In fact, faction is only a SECONDARY focus.

#14 Lichtsteiner

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 02:47 PM

Our faction nights go like this........
CSPS
CSPS
maybe a Pug grp
Evil
Evil
Evil
Have a good night.

#15 Kami232

Rookie

• The Terror
  • The Terror
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:24 PM

View PostSeventhSL, on 27 May 2019 - 02:39 PM, said:

In fact, faction is only a SECONDARY focus.

Concur. Playing the game is more important, to me, than playing a story. As much as I enjoy lore, I'd rather get a match in.

#16 dario03

• Galaxy Commander
  • 3,621 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:35 PM

Just let everybody switch whenever or even select auto for faction. Combine all faction loyalty rewards into a FP rewards pool with a large max or set the max to what a faction is now but let us max it out multiple times. With this loyalist can be loyal by just not switching and they wouldn't be punished when they max out the faction. And players that just want to play can play without getting lower rewards. Also helps the MM with skill and population balancing. Win win win.

#17 McGoat

Banned -Cheating

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 629 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:47 PM

Thanks, Paul
Posted Image

#18 Hobbles v

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Sureshot
  • The Sureshot
  • 354 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 04:59 PM

View PostLichtsteiner, on 27 May 2019 - 02:47 PM, said:

Our faction nights go like this........
CSPS
CSPS
maybe a Pug grp
Evil
Evil
Evil
Have a good night.

If we could switch we would happily take those CSPS games off you. CSPS and MS dodge the hell out of us. with this system we'll never see them again unless we are lucky and they dont catch wind of where we are at.

Edited by Hobbles v, 27 May 2019 - 05:00 PM.

#19 Lichtsteiner

• PipPip
  • The Bushido
  • The Bushido
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 May 2019 - 06:46 PM

All good man......just wish we could give you guys better matches.
We're working on it.

#20 Wing 0

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 815 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:10 PM

The players we've been playing against have been nothing but clowns. We got called hackers at one point today.. again.. Accusations by players who only play Quick Play. That sh-t has gotten real old. 15 minutes of waiting to get games as a 12 man group. How embarrassing.

This matchmaker has been nothing but ******** written all over it. This mode was working just fine without it. FIRST COME FIRST SERVED! You play Solo like a complete *******, you are a dead man. Nobody wants to deal with that reality but that's what it is. You don't play with others, you are dead. What I don't like is that we've had idiots whining their mouths off and saying that we need a matchmaker system on faction play when most of us who've been playing since Day 1 (Phase 1) know full well as to why IT DOES NOT WORK. Those same *** clowns still don't even play Faction Play even with this garbage matchmaker they wanted now in play.

Paul. What the fk were you guys thinking. Whatever this change was post to do, IT IS NOT WORKING. 12 of us had waited over 15 minutes in queue several dozen times just to get a game because certain players and groups on the other side knew we were actively playing and decided to not play and dodge us. I know several that do that but wont say who but they know who they are. If you are not willing to fight against good players or teams, maybe you shouldn't have any of your voices, feedback, or any suggestions etc from being heard ever again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users