For All The Grumbling

20 replies to this topic

#1 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:37 AM

I personally lost interest in playing after the patch (straw that made the camel walk away). However much to my surprise for all the outrage, the steam chart shows no real difference in population size after patch. Guess loyalists are the minority ?

#2 Kanil

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,067 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 02:44 AM

Most of us don't play FP, so all we noticed was that we lost our forum avatars.

#3 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:32 AM

i tend to avoid using steam and its ilk if its at all possible. i figure many of the old hat grognards are like that. coming from an era when you actually had to go to a store to buy games makes one wary of using a 3rd party service to concern itself with your product choices.

#4 Nesutizale

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 03:59 AM

When people are just pissed about not haveing their faction just give it back to them. If they don't mind as a Kurita to fight for Marik so be it.
I welcome the change of a more story/event driven system and will try to build a dropdeck soonish to try it out.

#5 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 25 May 2019 - 04:58 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 May 2019 - 03:32 AM, said:

i tend to avoid using steam and its ilk if its at all possible. i figure many of the old hat grognards are like that. coming from an era when you actually had to go to a store to buy games makes one wary of using a 3rd party service to concern itself with your product choices.

So rather than adapt you’d rather be Pamida/Sears/Kmart vs Walmart or Borders/Barnes and Noble vs Amazon. Terrible US based. companies analogy aside, MW5 is coming out on Steam. Also updating is a much smoother experience.

#6 Novakaine

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,694 posts
  • LocationThe Republic of Texas

Posted 25 May 2019 - 05:56 AM

Make Rasalhague great again!

#7 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:15 AM

View PostJackal Noble, on 25 May 2019 - 04:58 AM, said:

So rather than adapt you’d rather be Pamida/Sears/Kmart vs Walmart or Borders/Barnes and Noble vs Amazon. Terrible US based. companies analogy aside, MW5 is coming out on Steam. Also updating is a much smoother experience.

There are pros and cons to services like steam.
Smooth updates, less space used in shelf, very low prices if you can wait.
On the other hand you don't own the copy, you just rent a service. Its unlikely but when a company shuts down or just the server isn't running or your internet is off...well a CD/DVD you can allways use again.

#8 East Indy

• The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 1,207 posts
  • LocationPacifica Training School, waiting for BakPhar shares to rise

Posted 25 May 2019 - 06:27 AM

I log in and shoot 'Mechs in Quick Play for 45 minutes. I don't pay attention to events, and half the time don't bother collecting rewards because I'd rather shoot 'Mechs and get on with my day.

That said, funneling players into factions is a great idea and years overdue. PGI never quite connects the dots, so I doubt they'll try this before development ceases for MWO, but superficially assigning Quick Play teams to random warring factions each match — not unlike Modern Warfare — would add some flavor to the game's entry-level mode, and get players thinking about factions more in depth, and earlier.

#9 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:16 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 25 May 2019 - 06:15 AM, said:

On the other hand you don't own the copy, you just rent a service. Its unlikely but when a company shuts down or just the server isn't running or your internet is off...well a CD/DVD you can allways use again.

You dont buy the game with your CD/DVD, you just aquire the licence to use the software. And MWO cant be played without an internet connection, like most of the games now, no matter if it has online content or not.

#10 Toothless

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Territorial
  • The Territorial
  • 861 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 07:53 AM

I havent been playing because I havent been drinking and thats the only way the game is fun.

#11 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:10 PM

were just used to doing manually what you spoiled brats and your newfangled gizmos get done for you.

im not against steam, there are a few games in my library. but if i have a way to cut them out i will. i don't like having a 3rd party gateway service in control of my licenses or being the sole download source.

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:23 PM

View PostKotzi, on 25 May 2019 - 07:16 AM, said:

You dont buy the game with your CD/DVD, you just aquire the licence to use the software. And MWO cant be played without an internet connection, like most of the games now, no matter if it has online content or not.

you buy the license it just comes with a cd. the difference is with old games that came on media, you can still instal and run them. should steam ever fold and a new download source is not made available, then what? games dead. with media at least you have a fallback option. provided i can emulate or run a virtual machine with an old os or have a nostalgia rig i can run any of my old 90s games. some of them even run on win10.

and to be fair asking for media isnt practical anymore. my computers dont even have optical drives, ive considered that technology obsolete for years now. short of games coming on usb keys or there just aint much you can do.

Edited by LordNothing, 25 May 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#13 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 25 May 2019 - 12:28 PM

PGI allowed mercs to control CW back in the beta rewarding them for everything. Then they went to one bucket and gave no reason to fight.Why would the loyalist stick around?

Teams in group q were punished if they took too many player so guess what happen? Other than people sticking around playing people would quit. They couldn't play the mechs they wanted and when everyone took mediums they got smashed by 8 assaults. So the only groups left are small or very skilled. I havn't seen a 12 man team in over a year.

So yes, loyalists and teams have left the game. Russ never really cared about them because they have always been the minority. He said this a few times when we want to 1 bucket and tonnage by group size.

#14 Pontius_Pilot

Rookie

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 7 posts

Posted 25 May 2019 - 09:09 PM

I'm just going to say, I haven't heard the name "Pamida" in so long, that I literally blinked at the screen for a second and had a flashback.

#15 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 02:22 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 25 May 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

were just used to doing manually what you spoiled brats and your newfangled gizmos get done for you.

im not against steam, there are a few games in my library. but if i have a way to cut them out i will. i don't like having a 3rd party gateway service in control of my licenses or being the sole download source.

Yea, i used to think that way. I've been a gamer since pong. But after starting using steam in 2012, a few years after GoG, I have over 250 games on my 2 main services, more if you add in the launchers i don't use as much. Every single one outside of 8 that never came to digital have been rebought on steam or gog, or another digital platform because it is a million times easier to manage them verse reinstalling verse disks..

and then there is the price. Just part of my old "BOX" collection which is about 20 has 50 dollar price stickers on them. Just those games alone, my digital stream library is just over half the cost of those 20 games. On steam i have around 150 which average $3.50. Granted i do have to wait a few years for the price to drop then grab um on a 75-90% sale! But i don't care. It's far better than missing out on the game cause they sell out or having to hope it ends up in the bargin bin at a retail store. (i am not counting MWO as far as a "steam game" cause basically i spent as much on this one game as my entire 150+ steam collection lol)

You also can get lots of AAA games for free, for instance, SIms2, dragon age, Mass effect II all free, Lots of others too if i thought about it for a bit, between origin, gog, steam and ubi-soft i must have over 20 freebee's. Just got Age of wonders III the other day from humble which gave me a steam key, and sim's 4 is free over on origin right now (40 dollar game for FREE!)

Make good back ups, and have an offline system and you will never loose any of those games, no matter what happens. (well outside of the world ending EMP pulse) It sure is better than storing 300 disks and my wallet loves it! All those games from the 90's i can just store on a single USB drive and run them on my win 2k machine. You also don't have to worry about a disk getting scratched and making it worthless which happend to a bunch of games just from having to stick the disk in the CD drive everytime i wanted to play it. Just managing No CD cracks is a nightmare in comparison to spending a few bucks for a DRM free version over on gog's summer sale. Besides games like old blizzard for example, and even EA can often use your old key and let you access it on their digital services. I have starcraft, Diablo II, even warcraft III right on blizzzards launcher, and i bought those back in the 90's! Lots of my origin games i used the old keys from my CD's to add them to my collection.

Come on over to the dark side man.. It's actually quite light. Posted Image

*edit all done editing.. boy my brain can ramble when it wants..Posted Image

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 May 2019 - 02:58 AM.

#16 Bishop Steiner

ForumWarrior

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Hammer
  • The Hammer
  • 47,187 posts
  • Locationclimbing Mt Tryhard, one smoldering Meta-Mech corpse at a time

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:00 AM

View PostNesutizale, on 25 May 2019 - 06:15 AM, said:

you own a physical copy of MWO?

#17 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 03:09 AM

View PostBishop Steiner, on 26 May 2019 - 03:00 AM, said:

you own a physical copy of MWO?

I don't think they ever gave out an actual disk, even to backers. Some games still do that through KS though even if they go full digital. But lots of games i play these days there is only digital. Some games area also platform specific. So if you don't buy digital, your not getting it.

One way around that though is to play games on a console. They still are heavily into the DVD media as that is their market. Either people that like the ease of a console, or the folks that don't have internet connections. That said lots of games i play are computer only as well.

#18 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:14 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 26 May 2019 - 02:22 AM, said:

Yea, i used to think that way. I've been a gamer since pong. But after starting using steam in 2012, a few years after GoG, I have over 250 games on my 2 main services, more if you add in the launchers i don't use as much. Every single one outside of 8 that never came to digital have been rebought on steam or gog, or another digital platform because it is a million times easier to manage them verse reinstalling verse disks..

and then there is the price. Just part of my old "BOX" collection which is about 20 has 50 dollar price stickers on them. Just those games alone, my digital stream library is just over half the cost of those 20 games. On steam i have around 150 which average $3.50. Granted i do have to wait a few years for the price to drop then grab um on a 75-90% sale! But i don't care. It's far better than missing out on the game cause they sell out or having to hope it ends up in the bargin bin at a retail store. (i am not counting MWO as far as a "steam game" cause basically i spent as much on this one game as my entire 150+ steam collection lol)

You also can get lots of AAA games for free, for instance, SIms2, dragon age, Mass effect II all free, Lots of others too if i thought about it for a bit, between origin, gog, steam and ubi-soft i must have over 20 freebee's. Just got Age of wonders III the other day from humble which gave me a steam key, and sim's 4 is free over on origin right now (40 dollar game for FREE!)

Make good back ups, and have an offline system and you will never loose any of those games, no matter what happens. (well outside of the world ending EMP pulse) It sure is better than storing 300 disks and my wallet loves it! All those games from the 90's i can just store on a single USB drive and run them on my win 2k machine. You also don't have to worry about a disk getting scratched and making it worthless which happend to a bunch of games just from having to stick the disk in the CD drive everytime i wanted to play it. Just managing No CD cracks is a nightmare in comparison to spending a few bucks for a DRM free version over on gog's summer sale. Besides games like old blizzard for example, and even EA can often use your old key and let you access it on their digital services. I have starcraft, Diablo II, even warcraft III right on blizzzards launcher, and i bought those back in the 90's! Lots of my origin games i used the old keys from my CD's to add them to my collection.

Come on over to the dark side man.. It's actually quite light. Posted Image

*edit all done editing.. boy my brain can ramble when it wants..Posted Image

id actually worry more about plastic degradation. it starts warping and the laser has problems staying on track. i think i ripped many of those games to image files and stored them on a 4tb drive, mostly because i was on my last dvd drive and it was acting funny. it clunked out after about half way through the archiving process. i dont really intend to buy another unless i find one at a yard sale for a buck or in a free junk box or perhaps a dumpster.

also you dont need cracks if you use a good bit by bit ripping software. like the ancient clone cd software (drive virtualization software usually recognizes the ccd format). most licenses say you can make backups and i think it also falls under fair use. most of the drm in use back then was under the assumption that mass imaging of cd collections was impractical (tiny hard drives). and before you moderators ban me this was all software that i bought and had a legal right to make backups.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 May 2019 - 04:26 AM.

#19 JC Daxion

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 5,230 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:19 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 26 May 2019 - 04:14 AM, said:

id actually worry more about plastic degradation. it starts warping and the laser has problems staying on track. i think i ripped many of those games to image files and stored them on a 4tb drive, mostly because i was on my last dvd drive and it was acting funny. it clunked out after about half way through the archiving process. i dont really intend to buy another unless i find one at a yard sale for a buck or in a free junk box or perhaps a dumpster. also you dont need cracks if you use a good bit by bit ripping software. like the ancient clone cd software. most licenses say you can make backups and i think it falls under fair use.

Well i find it just easier to just DL, or load up a game through the gog launcher if i really have the urge to play an older game. Besides they also do a bunch to update them to work on win 10. So an old game on a CD/DVD made for an old system you need to do things to make them work. the GOG copies you just load up, and most of those communities are still active so have updated lots of the old patches and even made new ones. Take Deux Ex, they even did a whole texture revamp patch that works perfect on the new gog version of the game.

PS, PM sent

Edited by JC Daxion, 26 May 2019 - 04:19 AM.

#20 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 26 May 2019 - 04:21 AM

View PostJC Daxion, on 26 May 2019 - 04:19 AM, said:

Well i find it just easier to just DL, or load up a game through the gog launcher if i really have the urge to play an older game. Besides they also do a bunch to update them to work on win 10. So an old game on a CD/DVD made for an old system you need to do things to make them work. the GOG copies you just load up, and most of those communities are still active so have updated lots of the old patches and even made new ones. Take Deux Ex, they even did a whole texture revamp patch that works perfect on the new gog version of the game.

PS, PM sent

not really fond of buying games twice.

many old games have undergone community revamps. some even released source code. its one of the reason the golden age of games was golden. the devs gave back rather than demand 10 fold prices for one tenth of a game and then kill it when they cant run servers anymore. the funny thing is this generation of devs who screw with us is the same generation that benefitted from all that generosity. many of them grew up modding those games and that's how they got into game dev in the first place. its quite sad.

Edited by LordNothing, 26 May 2019 - 04:36 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users