#1 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 27 May 2019 - 03:22 AM

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 27 May 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

So was questioning myself if I do have to play clan mechs differently than their IS-counterparts?

Short answer ... Clans melt face faster. Clan face also melts faster. When running energy use range advantage. When running ballistics just fit moar than the IS guy. When running missiles ... well ... suffer. That or bring ATMs and erase people with one alpha.

View PostAnAnachronismAlive, on 27 May 2019 - 02:47 AM, said:

So ye folks have any general advice on playstyle adaptation and or builds? Am I missing some stuff in terms of omnipods and how to use them to your own advantage? Or were my mech-picks just "plain potato"? Any kind of advice would be welcome.

On BloodAsp I'd suggest ditching short range lasers since your base range on that build is 500-600m that is way beyond ERSLs range. Add a 5th UAC5 or do 3xUAC5s+UAC10 (all in torsoes). Might also consider using the CT that has JJs.

Personally, if you got the mechs, I'd substitute 6xMG ACH with a 12xMG Piranha. Either way, drop HMLs and put some HSL or regular SLs or micros onto it. Trading with 2 medium range lasers when most of your firepower comes from 90m range MGs is a bad idea. And when you get close and personal with those MGs, HML are just a waste of heat and space.

ACW SRM bomber is fun, but not really reliable due to sillystupid clan SRM spread. If you absolutely need to have ECM, then I'd suggest ditching artemis (rather pointless in my mind since you want to alpha at like 20m range anyway) and adding 4-5 DHS. If ECM isn't a must then you can actually upgrade from ACW-A omni to a ACW-1 battlemech, put a big engine in there and alpha smth like 5xSRM6s+4SRM2s. But again, if you got mechs and tonnage, swap ACW for any of the popular VaporEagle builds. LBX20+4xSRM6s on VGL-A comes to mind if you want a brawler, but a 3xATM12 boat on a VGL-3 is vastly superiour if you want to kinda brawl in 120-300m range. Huntsmans work too. In my mind you want to have JJs when brawling, which ACW's (unlike their IS counterpart the Assassin) don't have.

Just IMHO. Given time you'll figure out what builds work best on clan mechs either way.

#2 PhoenixFire55

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 27 May 2019 - 09:38 AM

Eh, no problem ... I've no idea about drop deck tonnage limitations these days tbh, so make sure you can fit those Vapor Eagles before you buy em. Piranha is usually good for that coz not only its a strong light, but its also just 20t, etc. Vapor Eagle is 55t, but is basically a heavy mech loadout on a medium chassis, so also quite good in terms of firepower/tonnage.

#3 panzer1b

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 703 posts

Posted 13 November 2019 - 04:14 PM

To be perfectly honest, the ONLY 2 truly effective builds on the BAS are the following:

3xUAC5+1xUAC10, best thing for FP (where range of the uac5s truly shines). Good DPS, acceptable single exposure burst (50 dmg without jams), high enough projectile velocity to engage at 1km or so, workable hitboxes at range, ECM (purely good to get that 1st burst in without being isntantly focused to death), and good speed even if it turns a little slowly.

2xUAC10+1xUAC20, THE dominant QP assault mech build imo, since it combines very solid sustained DPS with single exposure damage exceeding ANYTHING short of dual heavy gauss laser anni. Best part is, against unaware enemy this 80 damage is pinpoint, so you could theoretically cripple an enemy in under a second if they arent actively shielding themselves (easy to do if they dont see you coming). Its only weakness is lack of range, but you still have the 40 doubletap damage from the uac10s if the 20 isnt practical to fire at any given time (it isnt very scary, but its still more or less a medium firepower without the 20 shooting. It really is that good, expose for a second, dump 80 damage at someone, and if by some miracle you arent immediately shot at, just sit there and dump another 40 damage in 2.5s, 80 more in 5...

A bit of advice i just recently figured out (at least for QP), stick with the AC-80 build (2x10+1x20). The vapin eagle can run the other dakka setup minus 1 UAC5, and it gets JJs, better speed, and better hitboxes (not to mention requires less tonnage and is far less likely to get prioritized even without ECM). Its just not worth 1 more UAC5 to have 35 more tons and worse everything else imo. That and i still break 1K with the vapin eagle using 1 UAC10 and 2 UAC5s (copied black widow build here actually which itself is very strong albeit low on ammo unlike the clam vapin eagle). The one role that no other clam mechs can do well is the 80 damage single exposure build, murders anything if you can get into 500m (clam UAC20 is still useable up to ~600 with reduced dmg). Perfect for nascar strats (sustained DPS doesnt help much vs burst/single click dmg), and far deadlier in those situations where you end up at point blank range against enemy assults...

Edited by panzer1b, 16 November 2019 - 10:31 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users