3 replies to this topic

#1 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 28 May 2019 - 03:15 AM

The Dev's could do an April fools or Halloween or Mercenary event that unlocked all tech across all chassis/factions as an experiment.
(Take a look at the metrics)
Easily explain the tech diversity as trophy tech, weapons and equipment requisitioned from conquered enemies.
Then work toward simplifying and killing balance arguments from there as you'd mainly just have to balance:
Hit boxes = Armor perks
Hardpoints = Cool-down, Heat, Heat Dissipation OR Capacity Pool.

Then remembering you can take either regardless of IS or Clan Chassis:
(as an example)
-Clan Endo Skeleton -(x%) structure quirk (Glass cannon archetype)
-IS Endo Skeleton +(x%) structure quirk (Zombie archetype)

-Clan Armor +(x%) damage resistance to energy and missiles
-Clan Light Armor +(x%) damage resistance to ballistics -(x%) resistance to energy and missiles

-IS Armor +(2x%) damage resistance to ballistics and missiles
-IS Light Armor +(x%) damage resistance to missiles -(x%) resistance to energy and ballistics
The values can be changed to make sense according to how many crit-points/the higher the protection values.

(Then just make procedural generated maps and keep releasing tech because it can't hurt balance as it's available to everyone.
Now you can start to look towards Esport or at least retaining players with map fatigue and balance gripes.)
Solaris7 could also be a good tool to introduce testing of Trophy Tech. Feed peoples hunger to build things!

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 28 May 2019 - 03:21 AM.

#2 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 28 May 2019 - 08:13 AM

You may have to pardon me a little here.... but I'm gonna say out right NO to this.

It was done similarly in other games, and it all just became a race to the Clan weapons. I don't think mix tech would help the balance of this game, considering how reasonably balanced it actually is currently (though do not read this as "perfectly balanced", because it isn't and likely never will be).

If this game was PvE (like MW:5 will be), then balance and weapon tech (and mixed tech) are less a factor. However, this game is PvP, which limits options and restricts the game to needing better balance between everything, so everything becomes a choice of "do I want this, or that" rather than "must take this, all else is garbage".

#3 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 29 May 2019 - 01:05 AM

Why would it be a rush to the clan weapons? Especially on mechs with more hardpoints some of the colder weapons from both sides would be the optimal choice, likewise, the mechs with less hardpoints would go for the hotter but more damage weapons. The armor perks would balance the chassis crits and armor points. There would only be the best weapons for a certain mech not just race to clan tech, that's not thinking it through completely. Yes there are many benefits to clan tech but there are some circumstances where putting IS tech on clan chassis could be beneficial like RAC's UAC's or anything you simply can't get from the host chassis faction.
REASONS: It's an event. It's not permanent. It's an experiment. It's fun to change the meta. It's not supposed to be too serious. We might learn something.

Outside of very strong weapon perks there is never a "must take this, all else is garbage" build.
You're making out like it would break the balance when it would be perfect weapon balance because everyone would have access to it.
Hit-box and armor balance would stay it's own category.
weapon specific perks would go and general perks would balance: number-of-hard-points-per-ton Over Cool-down & Heat values.

PVP is exactly where this flattens the balance books.
The game is asymmetrical as it is which doesn't matter in PvE games but in PvP it does, and the proof is that arguments exist over balance between Clan & IS. It is self evident.

Engines =
Weapons =
Heatsinks =

Armor = dependent on hit boxes
Heat and Cooldown = Dependent on hardpoints

who is winning or loosing in this situation? ... if everyone has to play by the same rules Per ton?

Edit:
I've just realized I'm probably preaching to mainly guys who are satisfied with running around the same terrain feature for five years straight. It's just supposed to be a bit of fun.

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 29 May 2019 - 01:17 AM.

#4 Tesunie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,575 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 29 May 2019 - 07:39 PM

View PostDauntless Blint, on 29 May 2019 - 01:05 AM, said:

Why would it be a rush to the clan weapons?

Why, I'd love to have the lighter CLRMs with no hard minimum range on my IS mechs. I'd love to place an CERLL on my new shiny Marauder 9M's head component. I'll take a much lighter CXL engine rather than the IS LFE please. Etc. No room for SLs? I'll snag myself a fist full of micros maybe... Or maybe some ATMs? I'll certainly be running CDHS all day, boating them as much as many clan mechs do...

In most cases, it would become a rush to get the Clan tech where it's simply better, lighter and/or smaller. Other MW games did mixed tech, and every time it fell into a rush to get clan tech on your mechs. Of course, those games were PvE, so earning Clan tech and rather it was OP or not was mostly irrelevant for most of the game (it did have PvP, but I don't believe PvP over the internet was as much a thing back then as it has become now).

For example, a PvE game where someone has been granted infinite lives doesn't make much of an impact. In a PvP setting though, if one person has managed to (in whatever way) gain infinite lives over everyone else who has limited lives, now it's a big deal. AKA: There are different things you can do when it's PvE compared to PvP.

Hence, I don't believe allowing mixed tech would be beneficial for this game. At least not right now, not as things are now, and not without a large amount of changes to the system.

PS: How would it work as an event, without causing invalid loadouts afterwards?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users