144 replies to this topic

#1 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:03 AM

A discussion thread for this question. Russ believes players have so many mechs that interest just isn't what it used to be.

However I have seen some say that the number of mechs isn't what stopped them from buying mechs so why did you stop buying mechs or why do do you think fewer people buy mech packs?

Poll
https://mwomercs.com...ing-mech-packs/

Edited by TheArisen, 02 June 2019 - 12:25 PM.

#2 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

I buy things that interest me. Also, a good chunk of the mechs are made bad from the ground up w.r.t hitboxes and agility. I mentioned this in another thread citing Warhammer IIC as an e.g., of this where an 80-ton Clan Battlemech that can move at 70+ kph turns and accelerates like a train. There's no reason for that.

Maybe PGI should start selling new mechs a la carte but without goodies while mech packs continue to be as they are. That way, maybe PGI would sell more mechs. Again, I saw Rifleman IIC and only the 2 variant (6 ballistic one with a higher engine cap) interested me and I had no interest in paying for 2 other variants. Same with the Dervish. But I do buy mechs, mostly heroes, and also spend money on other things like MC, Premium Time, etc., So, yeah, their business model might need to change now.

#3 Ryokens leap

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:56 AM

Russ B & Paul I.

#4 MrMadguy

• 2,193 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 06:59 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 June 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

A discussion thread for this question. Russ believes players have so many mechs that interest just isn't what it used to be.

However I have seen some say that the number of mechs isn't what stopped them from buying mechs so why did you stop buying mechs or why do do you think fewer people buy mech?

Poll
https://mwomercs.com...ing-mech-packs/

Two factors:
1) Game isn't as good, as it was back in old times.
2) I only buy 'Mechs, I like. I don't buy some ugly crap.

#5 Nesutizale

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 3,239 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:02 AM

Last pack I bought was the solaris pack and I bought it because I didn't had the mechs allready and wanted something for Solaris.

In general I am not interested in packs as I mostly like only 1 or 2 and I don't want to buy the other variants so I wait for them to be sold for Cbills.

#6 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:03 AM

I already have the mechs I have a perverted fetish for. Its that simple.

#7 Mechsniper

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Formidable
  • The Formidable
  • 457 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

I quit playing and buying mech packs due to the following:
1) The movement and speed nerfs that took out most assaults from being viable in the game, especially the highlander. Historically nimble mechs are complete bubba's in this game.
2) Lights are more powerful than assaults. Its too easy to take a pirhanna or flea and pawn assaults face to face. Get Gud is the dumbest answer to the problem when any light can simply step out of the way of a gauss or PPC which are the best defenses since stealth armor made them immortal vs any locking weapon. Move like your on C0K41N and the only shots that hit you are mostly luck.
3) clan xl nerfs made the clan mech with an xl just as broken as an IS mech. You can't fire a single laser more than once if you lose a torso... dumb and therefore worthless.
4) The Nascar mechanic in QP in game has been rewarded far too long through all of the above. The viability of a mech goes down proportionally to its weight.
5) the hardpoint system was broken from the beginning of the game and devs ignored a WHOLLLLE lot of MW experience from many players who called out that a gauss cannon should not fit where a mg was originally placed in a mech. The K2 gauss cat should have redirected them then, but we were told that the founders were not the core targets of this game after we were suckered into funding it.

For all the above, I did not purchase MW5, which is sad. I love the MW/BT universe over all other sci fi and game genre's. Its potential was discussed but never achieved here. I still hope to live long enough to see it reach that potential. I've been a fan and participant since the 90's. GLHF

Edited by Mechsniper, 01 June 2019 - 07:06 AM.

#8 Kotzi

• 1,356 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:06 AM

Because Pokemeching is no content. You could have saved all the money for creating and marketing mechs, well couple of mechs every now an then maybe, and put it into maps, modes anything that washes away that stalemate. So much money i would give to a really good mechwarrior game. This is a very good basis for a game, love the feeling, but thats about it, and unfortunately has been for too long imho.

#9 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 01 June 2019 - 07:23 AM

I stopped buying mechpacks because they're expensive and because every time a new mech came out it was saddled with some sort of crippling flaw. From selection of hardpoints, to agility, to lack of necessary quirks, to hitboxes, to overall size, to STRANGE interpretation of the drawn sketch into the actual 3D model. Like... look at Alex's art of the Osiris and then compare it to the in-game model. Why are the STs so big? This mech should be compact, not thick and wide, without even accounting for the overall large size of the mech itself. Some of these issues can be remedied down the line, but the balancing side seems to be EXTREMELY reluctant to even try to apply buffs, let alone give valuable ones.

Effectively, there's no point in buying a mech pack, because the only good mechs in the game are the already released ones that have had their buffs and advantages too well-enshrined to be nerfed. If by some chance of fate a new mech happens to actually turn out to be good (Vapor Eagle), only THEN will it be considered a worthy buy... or you can just wait for the C-bill version to come out. But most of the time, you're forced to assume during the vitally important pre-order phase that you're going to be spending money on an electronic paper weight, because history has shown that four out of five times you're going to get burned.

#10 - World Eater -

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 940 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:06 AM

- I have everything I need.
- A mech pack cost as much or more as a triple A game.

#11 L1f3H4ck

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 738 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:40 AM

Cuz PGI stopped selling them.

#12 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

I stopped giving PGI money when the Civil War patch hit, due to the engine desync from agility and the skill tree.

1) PGI's stated explanation that the engine desync from mech agility was absolutely needed in conjunction of all mechs needing to have adjusted individually so that mechs of different weight classes would perform properly for their intended roles. I agreed with this at first because the Marauder IIC with a 375 XL made the Timberwolf and nearly every other heavy mech in the game dumb to pilot in comparison. The problem is what we got was NOT what was promised. It was a heavy handed nerf to Assault mechs of all kinds and a specific nerf to clan mechs in particular. PGI flat out said one thing and then proceeded to do something else as a 'stealth' nerf.

I'm not on board with a company that employs that kind of practice.

2) The skill tree was a direct nerf to having fun with the mechs that I purchased with the time required to maximize their attribute unlocks. Some people look at it and state "yes, but now you only have to skill up one mech instead of 3!" - Well, that's fine for those people saying that, but as a general rule, if I ever purchased a mech AT ALL it was because the mech in question was a solid design all on its own merits and I would WANT to own and skill up at least 3 variants for different purposes. With the old system I could max out 3 mechs within a 5 days of casual evening play. With the new system the rate of unlocks more than doubled. That closed my wallet.

#13 Anomalocaris

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 671 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

On my pay account (this one is F2P) I tended to purchase mechs that interested me, or that I thought had good potential to be useful in game.

On a number of occasions though I cancelled pre-orders when PGI went and did something stupid with respect to balance, game mechanics, etc. This resulted me cancelling pre-orders 3-4 times in the last year before I switched almost exclusively to my F2P account in March.

Engine desync, the whole lasvomit debacle (its a nerf, its a buff, its a nerf - just leave it alone), clan nerf after clan nerf, the list goes on.

Because of all this I cancelled the Hellfire pre-order, the MCII pre-order, the Incubus, and one other. On average I would buy at least basics + reinforcements, so that cost at least $150 from me in the last year.

Of the mechpacks I did purchase, I regretted more than a few. The Thanatos was one. I think I skilled up only one of those mechs before I got tired of it. Never bothered to go back after they quirked up the armor.

#14 jss78

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 2,575 posts
  • LocationHelsinki

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:26 AM

There's a point where you can create just about any play style with some variant of the existing 'mechs. IMO MWO reached that point perhaps a couple years ago.

I still play once in a while, but just pick one of my old favourites.

Most of my "I'll buy this regardless" 'mechs are already in the game. I'll still preorder the Crusader should they choose to add it.

#15 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:57 AM

A few reasons.

A. Lack of mechs that interest me.

B. Not playing the game very frequently, so even if there were better mechs chosen I wouldn't be able to fully enjoy the investment.

C. I might be interested in only one or two variants of a chassis but the current model makes you buy three at minimum and then reinforcements require you to buy both. We should be able to a-la-carte individual variants.

#16 PhoenixFire55

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 5,725 posts
  • LocationSt.Petersburg / Outreach

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:19 AM

View PostTheArisen, on 01 June 2019 - 06:03 AM, said:

Where is the "because scam" option in the poll?

#17 nukedog

• PipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 43 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:32 AM

Needed a "Burned by bad mechs too many times" button.

#18 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:47 AM

Bought the VGL - was fantastic.

Bought the WHMIIC - was ****.

I don't have 600 mechs or anything, I have 140 and I'm still not seeing the value in anything recent outside the VGL.

Hell, I even bought the Hellfire last year, which means I owe at least one person at PGI a punch in the ****.

Edited by BlaizerP, 01 June 2019 - 10:47 AM.

#19 Valdarion Silarius

• Giant Helper
  • Giant Helper
  • 1,671 posts
  • LocationWubbing and dakkaing everyone in best jellyfish mech

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:00 AM

Pretty much after the Rifleman IIC, I have all of the mechs that I could possibly want from MW:O. The only other IS mech that I would pay real world money for at this point is the Toyama, which would have to introduce new tech to the game unless PGI wanted to break the rules to get the mech in game. There are still some other odds and ends I'd like to have like the Firemoth, Stone Rhino, Crusader and Templar, but those are c-bill mechs for me.

Edited by Arnold The Governator, 01 June 2019 - 11:08 AM.

#20 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 11:03 AM

View PostPhoenixFire55, on 01 June 2019 - 10:19 AM, said:

Where is the "because scam" option in the poll?

I get that PGI hasn't kept their promises, etc but how is a mech pack a scam in any reasonable way? They offer the pack for X amount of money and that's it. You're not promised anything else for your purchase.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users