Mwo 2

71 replies to this topic

#1 Eatit

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 286 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:01 AM

In the recent Dev Update Russ said that MWO doesn't make enough money to support PGI.

I say that MWO made PGI what it is today. Studios don't just make one game and it carries them for decades. They make many games that all contribute to the bottom line. A PC game only has a certain amount of shelf life. MWO has had a long life and provided a huge amount of income for PGI. Why in the world would they not be interested in making a MWO 2?

I say quit feeling sorry for yourself Russ!!! Get off your a** and start work on the sequel. MW5 is great and I'm sure it will do well. But it's a different kind of game. Get to work on MWO 2. I know you can do it. You have so many assets now that you didn't have before. You have so much knowledge that you didn't have before. MWO 2 would be considerably less work if you made it in the same engine as MW5. You have the skills, you have the people, you know you can do it.

YOU CAN DO IT! MWO 2!

#2 C E Dwyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 9,274 posts
  • LocationHiding in the periphery, from Bounty Hunters

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:24 AM

Well I hope your going to fund it, when Russ 'gets off his ***'

#3 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 09:32 AM

I fail to see what good a release of a new online mech PvP game would do for PGI or the consumer. Shutting down an online game to immediately launch a sequel has never agreed with the online consumer base. Everquest => Everquest2, Sta Wars Galaxies => Old Republic, etc.

PGI had a good run with the Mechwarrior franchise. They got seven years out of an arena shooter. They are now focused on delivering a traditional Mechwarrior game, Mechwarrior5 Mercenaries. This means instead of mechpacks and premium time, transactions will be game purchases and DLC. No server maintenance or constant rebalancing of mechs and weapons. Where does that leave the players of MWO?

1) If PGI wants to continue to run MWO servers either on Cryengine or port MWO to Unreal with Mech5 great. But they have had seven years to make MWO something more than an arena shooter and never quite hit the mark with Community Warfare, Faction Play or Solaris7 modes. We continue to play MWO's current version for a few more months to years.

2) If after the MW5 release Russ and Paul are hanging up their neurohelmets and shutting down the servers to move onto other products, I would wish them well. We may have to wait years, but some other developer will want a try at Mechwarrior.

Edited by SilentScreamer, 02 June 2019 - 06:33 AM.

#4 Cazador88

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 125 posts
  • LocationHungary

Posted 01 June 2019 - 10:13 AM

MWO 2? From these jokers again? **** no.

#5 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

View Posttollas669, on 01 June 2019 - 10:13 AM, said:

MWO 2? From these jokers again? **** no.

im not even sure i want to play f2p games anymore. and i certainly ain't paying for a subscription arena shooter.

Edited by LordNothing, 01 June 2019 - 03:22 PM.

#6 TheArisen

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:40 PM

The most reasonable expectation would probably be for MWO to get ported to the Unreal engine

#7 Racerxintegra2k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God
  • The God
  • 801 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:47 PM

MWO2 just doesn't make sense.

1)PGI isn't going to port everyone's accounts over to an updated version of MWO, no money in that.
2) People aren't going to rebuy all the stuff they purchased in this MWO again in another version.
3) PGI had 7 years to elevate the game, this is what they can produce enjoy it while its here.... move on when its gone unfortunately.

#8 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:48 PM

View PostEatit, on 01 June 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

I say quit feeling sorry for yourself Russ!!! Get off your a** and start work on the sequel. MW5 is great and I'm sure it will do well. But it's a different kind of game. Get to work on MWO 2. I know you can do it. You have so many assets now that you didn't have before. You have so much knowledge that you didn't have before. MWO 2 would be considerably less work if you made it in the same engine as MW5. You have the skills, you have the people, you know you can do it.

Takes funding to do so.
If MWO isn't sustaining it, as opposed to sustaining and surplussing it with the resources to get make new stuff....
then its potentially hemorrhaging money. With what funds would it then make a new game?

Now to be fair, they're making a game already.
And after it rolls out the door it'll make more money which they could use to make that new game.

But why an MWO2? And what would that mean for the current one?

If the license expands far enough..
Why not Tankwarrior... with Battletech tanks?
Aerotech pilot with Battletech aerotech?

Why not Urbanwarrior... with Battletech infantry?

Why not Transverse?

....too soon?

#9 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

View PostRacerxintegra2k, on 01 June 2019 - 03:47 PM, said:

2) People aren't going to rebuy all the stuff they purchased in this MWO again in another version.

I think a way around this issue would be for "MWO2" or whatever we call it to use entirely new mechs that were not featured in MWO1, at least for the first like year or so. Then people wouldn't feel like they were being charged twice for the same thing.

#10 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:57 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 June 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

I think a way around this issue would be for "MWO2" or whatever we call it to use entirely new mechs that were not featured in MWO1, at least for the first like year or so. Then people wouldn't feel like they were being charged twice for the same thing.

I'd be fine with them reusing the mechs... if the funding model didn't revolve around pumping out a new preorder every month.
If it resembled the BT universe with how you could acquire and lose your machines, didn't rely or even allow cash to get them.. and also began providing alternatives. For example mechs are rare. Know what isn't rare? Boots on the ground. Tanks in the field. Aircraft in the sky. And as the battle rages, someone gets a mech.

...Wait, wait..
Damn, that's out already.
Titanfall.
And to think almost 20 years before that, Starsiege beat them to it...and almost 20 years before that, some game called Battletech beat them to it...
Now why didn't we get that game?

(Okay I'm done trolling now.)

But seriously, if we got something other than War Thunder with Mechs for our MW universe, I'd be fine with starting over.
My only hope for it right now is the Living Legends mod for MW5: Mercs (which Russ said was okay so long as it was using MW5)

#11 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,317 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:20 PM

"MWO is struggling, so let's scrap all the stuff that the comitted core have bought and make them start again!"

No thanks.

#12 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:34 PM

I doubt we are the target demographic for any attempt of an mwo2. I'm sure russ can make it a mobile reskin of a game and market it to all those Chinese and mobile gamers. So many people have warned pgi that the game would need a new engine long before clans were added. Blizzard was able to update wow over time. When did mwo get a graphics update? Never? OK.

You'd think now that they have some if not most the IS models in unreal they'd just work on clans and then bam done. Drop in a clone of canyon network and there. Game made to pgi standards.

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:36 PM

What if they expanded MW5 to allow 12 man coop to carryout historic BT missions? Frankly that sounds more like what the game should have been built around. Provided they hadn't used the Cryengine, which is clearly a pain in the ***.They would have avoided alienating people through balance changes. They could have had Clans without weakening them. it would have appealed to more people than PVP.

But we all know they wanted to get that World of Tanks success with a low effort deathmatch game. Though I don't think even they wanted the game to run as bad as it does.

Edited by MechaBattler, 01 June 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#14 Serial Number

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Predator
  • The Predator
  • 204 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:36 PM

MWO2? Sure, right after PGI lose Mechwarrior license and some proper company takes it.

#15 AEgg

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 719 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 05:18 PM

I could see a sequel happening, in theory.

It'd need new engine, and combined arms, or some other HUGE differentiating factor. A new engine isn't big enough on it's own.

If PGI had the resources to make it, a Battlefield-style Mechwarrior game in the same vein of living legends could work really well. Of course, there's a lot of differences since everyone still wants to be able to build their own 'mech, but some sort of combination of Titanfall and Battlefield could really work for Battletech. And that would be different enough from MW:O that people probably wouldn't mind buying into it again.

That would take both triple-A resources and money, neither of which PGI has right now. I suppose in an ideal world they could join up with Microsoft since they own the license and have the resources, or even partner with the leader in that field, DICE, but I don't think it's likely.

#16 Der Geisterbaer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 795 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:27 AM

View PostSilentScreamer, on 01 June 2019 - 09:32 AM, said:

Shutting down an online game to immediately launch a sequel has never agreed with the online consumer base. Everquest => Everquest2, Sta Wars Galaxies => Old Republic, etc.

Now while your assertion that it doesn't agree with consumers when a game is shut down in order to immediately start a sequel isn't necessarily incorrect your examples do not actually support that assertion:
  • Everquest wasn't shut down in order to launch Everquest II. They ran (and to an extend still are running) side by side with reasonable success regardless of what Everquest veterans had to say about Everquest II
  • SW:ToR was done by completely different publishers/studios so that the year of the shutdown of SW Galaxies only coincided with SW:ToR's release but wasn't directly connected in a sense where one was a sequel to the other

#17 SilentScreamer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 556 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostDer Geisterbaer, on 02 June 2019 - 12:27 AM, said:

Now while your assertion that it doesn't agree with consumers when a game is shut down in order to immediately start a sequel isn't necessarily incorrect your examples do not actually support that assertion:
  • Everquest wasn't shut down in order to launch Everquest II. They ran (and to an extend still are running) side by side with reasonable success regardless of what Everquest veterans had to say about Everquest II
  • SW:ToR was done by completely different publishers/studios so that the year of the shutdown of SW Galaxies only coincided with SW:ToR's release but wasn't directly connected in a sense where one was a sequel to the other

Thanks for clearing that up, I will strike the examples.

#18 Bombast

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostEatit, on 01 June 2019 - 09:01 AM, said:

IWhy in the world would they not be interested in making a MWO 2?

Because that's not how games in this business model function. I can't think of a single contemporary which has sequalized itself in this way.

#19 Smutty

• PipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 58 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:53 PM

View PostBombast, on 02 June 2019 - 10:43 AM, said:

Because that's not how games in this business model function. I can't think of a single contemporary which has sequalized itself in this way.

Destiny LUL

#20 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

MW5 looks like it's going to be awesome. MWO carries the baggage of a decade of decisions, both good and bad. If PGI wants to make MWO 2 I'd have a shot at it.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users