A Fair Over View. ( Carm In The Face Of Turmoil )

Balance Gameplay Social

11 replies to this topic

#1 VulkanNo1

• PipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 33 posts
  • LocationGod's Country

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:27 PM

Hello Everyone,

Please forgive me if this comes off the wrong way. I just did a 12-hour shift and I’m kind of Tired.

I am the Welsh Sheep [Removed for the sake of the children] you all love so well. Posted Image

Fist off I love the Game guys its fantastic. Devs keep trying to develop the game.

I have a had a long discussion with some team mates.

Let’s start with the community. we can all safely concur that this is a toxic community. And its everyone’s fault so pull up your sleeves stop rage quitting and enjoy the game. That’s why we're here.
Not to satiate some primal instinct to bash the loving hell out of big mechs with big fists. from the [ Please save the Children]

But to have fun. and your gone have to take a hit to make the community better. No more faction 12 mans unless organised in a private lobby. because its driving new players away.
Life is but a huge bunch of games. To win at some you have to lose at others. and in this case, you have to lose this battle because otherwise you can't play the game because there will be no one left.

Let me give you a simple example.

A study was carried out on a bunch of rats etc.

the rats where left out in a ring and they start to play. and here’s the kick, if the bigger rat does not let the smaller rat win once in every three games. The small rat stops playing. (No more game for you boi )
TLDR is small rat does not win every now and then they don't play.

This behavioural play algorithm is the same in humans which is why I reference it. Players have been seen commonly saying you are losing wrong. This is akin to the small rat simply walking away and the big rat not being happy about it.

This applies directly to our community and if you don't understand please send me PM's or talk to me if you know me in discord. I am always happy to have an open conversation.

With this being said let move on to the game directly.

Devs, I believe you are aware that Clan mechs are in most instances underpowered or suffer from meta play and make it far too hard to get an even playing field.
This does need to be addressed if you want to attract more members to the community which is important.

Secondly the faction as it currently stands is not enjoyable. I personally stopped playing Faction once the update came out because I’m not having fun at it etc. which is why I’ve gone over to QP for the most part.

This being said a friend of mine suggested that faction should be a one-man que based on ELO or player ranking. Etc this would be beneficial as there would be more fair teams etc.
This would open up the faction game play to new players who wish to have the more strategic play etc.
This would also stop the one team wipes that is quite prominent right now. I understand that this means that my group will not be able to drop as a team but to me that is a sacrifice i can make to make the game better Etc. (Go to private lobby )

Thirdly this does mean that the group/ Unit will need and over haul so that it means something. And I mean is has some benefit in the new version of the game.
So i propose that units play a role during competition for events, also you can keep a flag system that used to before the update.
That would mean that the unit that drops and wins the most get planets or planet bonus type content. There could also be a Unit styled faction play if they want to run into 12 mans but that needs to be organised as in events run by PGI etc.
( It’s time to take the initiative here getting groups together and playing for fun ) Competitions are not war they are fun

To add to this a type of clan wars could be a cool idea if you'd like to run with that. for example, if people want 12-man missions then put them against bots or hordes etc. These a lot of breathing space here. (but bear in mind we don't want to split the player population up too much )

Fourthly.

I'm more than sure you guys know who are regular players and you could put an even out to survey the mech warrior population. for Credits after all. nothing too much but a fair amount Etc.

This is my first post, so sorry if it's not to concise but I feel that’s its important for us to talk about the problems we are facing in a fair way and calm way. Etc.

I am open to all suggestions other than finding a woman, why have one woman when you can have a field full of sheep Posted Image

Kind Regards

VulkanNo1

Edited by VulkanNo1, 01 June 2019 - 02:39 PM.

#2 OldSchoolCav

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 01 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

I feel like today is gonna be a great day. The sun is shining, PGI more or less announced last night that this game will live forever, even if they have to cancel all of thier vacations, and and a certain teammate of mine who has been taking a mostly self-inflicted forum beating actually beat someone to a post on the forums to bring up the famous Ceaser to thousands of rat-gladiators - Dr Jaak Panksepp.

Who knew that this guy (pick who I mean for yourself) would be relevant?

#3 OldSchoolCav

• PipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 87 posts
  • LocationAustin

Posted 01 June 2019 - 03:47 PM

Seriously though, people just want to play with their friends. You are correct that getting stomped is not goin g to encourage new FP players to keep playing FP. But neither is banning 12-mans. The sad reality is that any solution now may be too little too late. Should I stop playing with my friends if it has very little chance of extending the life of the game? Or should I enjoy myself while I can?

The reality, as spoken to us last night, is that MWO is no longer profitable for PGI - that is, there will be no large overhaul of Unit purposes, FP, or any mode for that matter - just a collection of smaller fixes. So the solution seems to me to have the following components:

1) Appease the Loyalists in any way they can to keep them dropping.
2) Allow people to switch sides within long conflicts or between short conflicts to allow us to balance the queue during the times when the count of players on each side is imbalanced.
3) Encourage FP newbs to drop. This has one part for PGI and one for us.
3a) For PGI - increase the rewards for FP to be at least equivalent to QP for the same time investment (inclulding average wait time in the queue) and average match score. Make it more profitable to drop FP than QP per unit of time and average MS.
3b) The FP community should try to be more inclusive of newbs and solos. Maybe a pinned link to a forum with discords and/or teamspeak addresses for teams that are happy to have pugs fill out drops? Maybe a community LFG FP night a few off-peak nights each month where teams/units agree to drop in groups of ~6 and play with the solos and newbs incorporated into their comms with the goals being (1) fun, (2) teaching about FP, and (3) winning - in that order? I understand that not everyone would want to play that way, but we ought to be trying to grow the pop, if possible.

Anyhow - just my 2 cents.

#4 Ghost Paladin117

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 260 posts

Posted 01 June 2019 - 04:25 PM

Yeah banning 12 man teams would hurt way more than help. If anything trying to get a 12 man group to drop regularly and together would help more most likely. That's where discord and all comes in, dropping with friends and all.

#5 MischiefSC

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 16,697 posts

Posted 02 June 2019 - 08:21 AM

Go do the leaderboard. The regular QP one. Sort by win/loss. See how it's not the same for everyone, even in almost exclusively QP stats? Look at Solaris. See the same thing?

Banning 12mans won't impact win/loss for anyone significantly. New players are not losing because 12mans, they're losing because they lack the mechs, decks, skills and experience. The best way to learn that is in a group. If you want to learn to drive you don't invent the wheel, combustion engine and automotive engineering all on your own then just Intuit traffic laws. You learn from someone who already knows and take drivers ed and earn a license.

If you want to solo, stay in QP and Solaris. Even in QP you're always on a team of 12 vs another team of 12. That so few people actually use teamwork that when someone makes some suggestions and the team follows it's a 12-0 or 12-1 roll.

FW is even more teamwork intensive because of drop decks. 12mans get stomped all the time. There's several teams where 6 players can smash 12mans consistently. With 4 mechs for each player the impact of any coordination and bringing good decks is multiplied significantly.

If one side has more people who communicate and bring good decks they'll win. Trying to somehow Nerf or finish teamwork in the most teamwork focused mode of the game is silly.

#6 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 05:39 AM

https://leaderboard....rch?u=VulkanNo1

I mean if you wanted pilots to carry/teach you I dont think you needed to use so many words.

But hey, I'm sure your local high school football team "lets" other teams win now and then right?.... that way everyone gets a participation trophy.

#7 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:01 AM

The main issue is new pilots, or pilots of much lower skill, get pissed off when they get stomped by pilots of much higher skill. That a match maker/ population problem. The "toxic" playerbase matters not. Gitgud, get with gud, or gitwrecked. ESPECIALLY in FW...

#8 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:22 AM

We need PvsE, obviously we won't get it but it would help the group of people who don't want to complete against other people.

#9 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:28 AM

View PostNightbird, on 04 June 2019 - 06:22 AM, said:

We need PvsE, obviously we won't get it but it would help the group of people who don't want to complete against other people.
we do. It's called the academy.

#10 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:31 AM

View PostGrus, on 04 June 2019 - 06:28 AM, said:

we do. It's called the academy.

Well.. moving targets :D

#11 Grus

• Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 06:36 AM

View PostNightbird, on 04 June 2019 - 06:31 AM, said:

Well.. moving targets :D

They move!

But your making a BIG assumption the the people that want to have PvE can even hit the stationary targets...

#12 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,783 posts

Posted 04 June 2019 - 07:07 AM

i dont get the loyalty thing really. i mean any sense of lore is really just a thin coat of primer on a big rusty hulk of an antique arena shooter. they think they can fix everything with mechpacks and ui work.

people call this an arena shooter as an insult but i dont see it as such. some of my all time favorites have been arena shooters and maybe we need to embrase it. heres how you do it.

take down qp
take down solaris
take down fp.
do only custom games like ye olde days of q3a.

much of the problem is the disempowerment of the player base. you get shoehorned into what matches pgi wants you to play, you have to choose between an under developed mode for everyone, a super elite fp mode, and a super dead solaris. the same maps and the same style of play. with custom games you let the players make their own damn rules, choose where they fight, let us votekick the people out who are screwing over the game. if people want to play nascar let them make a nascar arena, if people want to do '24/7 stock urbies city maps only' or 'infinite respawn conquest 20k cap points, noobs only', they can. we dont need no match maker either. let the elite players go to the elite server, and the casuals go to the casual server. not enough players to fill your game? decrease the match size. front end, back end, all that stuff, nothing needs to change, just a lobby browser, a create custom game button, and some match rule diversification and boom you have something that is at least as good as q3a.

Edited by LordNothing, 04 June 2019 - 07:07 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users