Mw5 Mod Wishlist

17 replies to this topic

#1 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 04 June 2019 - 11:45 PM

Spoiler

Based on the video above, I'm not really satisfied with how the current weapons are set up. Likewise IIRC, Mechs aren't upgradable. Here is just my mod wishlist.

Basic:

> Mechs are fully upgradable, and have all hardpoints possible. Variants are basically just the same mechs, but with different current equipment.
> Lights, particularly Urbanmechs are completely common.
> Custom Construction rules, such as not needing a total of 10 Heatsinks.
> There is now a standard Cone-Of-Fire for all weapons. Having TCs will reduce that cone of fire, likewise equipment in the arms will reduce that COF. The LBXs has the advantage of being consistent as their use of Shrapnel will adhere to the spread with the COF.
> Ammo-switching.
> Critical Damage only damages the equipped items, not the component.
> Mechs will be fully mobile, and will have agility based on their tonnage. Assaults won't feel like a Dire-Wolf.
> Volumetric scaling based on tonnage. Such as the Atlas will (100t) be 4x as big as a Commando (25t).
> Regardless of Jump-Jets, every mech can jump merely by the force of their legs equal to 1 jump-jet.

Weapons:

Ballistics:
- Ballistics will deal full damage in all distance. Velocity is 4x that of maximum-range.
> Effective Range is merely the maximum distance where there is still 10-meter of diameter COF.
- LBXs are the only ACs capable of custom ammunition, and with modified construction rules that they have equal tonnage, but equal crit-slots.
- Shrapnel rounds will have a total of 3/7/13/24 damage, the slug will have 2/5/10/20 damage, both with 1.2/2.85/3.80/5.00s CD. The Shrapnel uses the COF as spread, which makes it the consistent one.
- Standard ACs are accurate burst-fire rifles, at 2/2/3/3 shots, each dealing 1/2.5/3.33/6.66 damage (Total of 2/5/10/20 damage). Shot interval is at 0.12s, at 0.64/1.48/2.16/3.36s, DPS at 2.5/3.125/4.167/5.56. AC2 will have 2 crit-slot instead.
- Ultra ACs are basically giant machine-guns with weaker per-shot damage but higher rate-of-fire, they yield 50% more damage/burst, but has lower dps. They are restricted by magazines and is interrupted by reloads, but will have lower sustained DPS than Standard ACs. Shot interval is at 0.1s. Shot capacity is at 3/3/5/5, with each shot dealing 1/2.5/3/6 (Total of 3/7.5/15/30 damage), with reload-duration of 1.3/2.5/3.75/6.25s, DPS at 2/2.778/3.614/4.511.
- Rotary ACs are gatling-guns, which they provide an insane burst of damage over long periods of time, but will overheat and stall when fired for too long. Shot interval is at 0.08s, at shoot duration of 6s, spin-down duration of 1.6s, spin-up duration of 0.6s, and 4s of dissipation. Will deal 0.48/0.8 damage/shot, or 6/10 DPS, or deals total of 36/50 damage under 5s. Has 4/6 Crit-slot.

Energy:
- Standard Lasers are the most accurate weapons, and is borderline pinpoint when equipped to the arms. They have standard of 1.5s of beam duration regardless of class. Will deal 4/6/10 damage.
- Pulse Lasers are burst-fire and will function somewhat like a machine-gun. Their pulses deal instant damage 2/3/5 damage with 0.3s between pulses, with 2 pulses.
- Standard Lasers and Pulse Lasers will have the same damage-dropoff range.
- PPCs are single-shot PPFLD with slower projectile-speed and longer cooldown. Basically energy Slug LBX. Effective-Range mechanics is simmilar to that of ACs.
- PPC has no minimum range.

Missiles:
- All missiles will fire in stream.
- SRMs are capable of hitting 360m but velocity is only at 360m/s. They can be dumb-fired, but with a small amount of homing if fired when locked. They have 0.1s interval.
- Streak SRMs are equally capable at 360m with velocity at 540m/s. but they have longer cooldown and requires lock to fire. They have 0.12s.
- LRMs are Fire-And-Forget with extremely slow projectile speed. They require lock to fire. They have 0.08s fire interval, at 270m/s.
- MRMs are dumb-fired with mid to long effective range. They have 0.06s fire interval, velocity at 540m/s.
- Multi Missile Launchers will be introduced.
- Artemis for LRMs and SRMs reduces fire-interval to 0.00s

Edited by The6thMessenger, 07 June 2019 - 06:00 AM.

#2 JediPanther

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 05 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

I want my jenners to be small and fast with decent armor more than a 20 ton mech has. Stinger lam would be great.

#3 Snakesh1t

• PipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 34 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:09 AM

I'd love to see:

-more merc company management aspects, like upgraded dropships with up to a company dropping per mission.

-landholds to give a steady income

-active/passive sensors

-rival mercenary units that you can change relationships with

#4 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 05 June 2019 - 09:48 PM

WTF did I just read?

Is this a troll post?

#5 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 06 June 2019 - 06:24 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 05 June 2019 - 09:48 PM, said:

WTF did I just read?

Is this a troll post?

It's my plans to mod the MW5 weapon system.

> I don't like the pin-point nature of MWO, so I wanted to introduce COF on all weapons.
> I always preferred the stream-fired missiles, so I just removed it, and used the Artemis to justify the volley fire. To compensate the pinpoint lasers is that they have an awfully long beam duration.
> Ballistics uses HEAT rounds, and wouldn't make sense to have reduced damage with range if they rely on explosion to deal damage. So instead I based the effective-range on the maximum distance with 1-degree COF.
> I always thought of the current ballistic systems to be poor, so I integrated burst-fire on standard ACs to give it to LBX slugs; I removed the double-fire random-jam mechanic of the UACs and turned it into a magazine with reload; i never liked the chance-jamming for RACs so i made them have instant jam on redline.

No.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 06 June 2019 - 06:40 AM.

#6 Y E O N N E

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Nimble
  • The Nimble
  • 16,810 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

You made pulse lasers exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to be and made every laser a brawl-range weapon by halving their damage by mid-way to optimum.

Yikes. I would not even test-drive this mod, you enjoy this bizarre interpretation.

#7 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:31 AM

View PostY E O N N E, on 07 June 2019 - 05:24 AM, said:

You made pulse lasers exactly the opposite of what they are supposed to be and made every laser a brawl-range weapon by halving their damage by mid-way to optimum.

Wuut?

The lasers, if anything are buffed. The Small Lasers will deal 4 damage, the medium lasers will deal 6 damage, and large lasers will deal 10 damage. 1.5s of beam duration will surely prevent them from effectively brawling. And no, they will deal max damage within effective range, but will gradually reduce to 50% at their maximum range. Tell you what, I'll just adjust their range.

And the Pulse Lasers as least-accurate energy-weapons that function as an energy machine-gun? Really? That's basically the lore.

I think MWO has killed your expectations.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 07 June 2019 - 05:33 AM.

#8 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 09:13 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 06 June 2019 - 06:24 AM, said:

> Ballistics uses HEAT rounds, and wouldn't make sense to have reduced damage with range if th

Nah, give all the ballistics stream firing and recoil. As in, "the longer you hold the trigger down, the longer the AC fires, and the longer the AC fires, the more recoil sends your point of aim all over the damn place."

You have one AC in the side of the mech? Your mech gets jerked in that direction every time it fires. You have two balanced ACs one on each side of your mech? Then your aim gets jerked upwards when you fire... or DOWN if the ACs are mounted low slung in the arms.

IOW, the reason larger ACs have shorter EFFECTIVE ranges is because they can't keep their long streams of bullets on target at longer ranges. Their effective range is based on them getting all their ammo into the target before recoil pulls the barrel away from it and you wind up shooting nothing but scenery. A good experienced gunner MIGHT be able to compensate for recoil by turning their mech at the same rate AC recoil tries to pull it the other way... maybe. But I wouldn't bet on them being able to do it reliably, especially when aiming at distant SMALL targets.

Gauss Rifles get better range because they're only firing one projectile, which they can get out their muzzles before recoil screws their aim TOO badly.

#9 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:51 PM

View Postevilauthor, on 08 June 2019 - 09:13 AM, said:

Nah, give all the ballistics stream firing and recoil. As in, "the longer you hold the trigger down, the longer the AC fires, and the longer the AC fires, the more recoil sends your point of aim all over the damn place."

You have one AC in the side of the mech? Your mech gets jerked in that direction every time it fires. You have two balanced ACs one on each side of your mech? Then your aim gets jerked upwards when you fire... or DOWN if the ACs are mounted low slung in the arms.

IOW, the reason larger ACs have shorter EFFECTIVE ranges is because they can't keep their long streams of bullets on target at longer ranges. Their effective range is based on them getting all their ammo into the target before recoil pulls the barrel away from it and you wind up shooting nothing but scenery. A good experienced gunner MIGHT be able to compensate for recoil by turning their mech at the same rate AC recoil tries to pull it the other way... maybe. But I wouldn't bet on them being able to do it reliably, especially when aiming at distant SMALL targets.

Gauss Rifles get better range because they're only firing one projectile, which they can get out their muzzles before recoil screws their aim TOO badly.

Dude, that is EXACTLY what i was doing, that being said it's instead handled by COF. ACs have 2-3 shells that are stream-fired. Only the LBXs Slugs, PPC, and the Gauss that are single-shot.

Posted Image

#10 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 10 June 2019 - 08:22 AM

Some of the things i like to see:
Besides the general tuning/weapon mods similar to RogueTech in BT...

- Independent Arm-aiming range on the sides like in MW3 (where you can fire right arm only, but not left arm or torso, if you aim far right).
- Hardpoint dependent quirks

- Energy Draw system that gives more power to single weapons if there is excess energy vs worse power/cooldown if exceeding the power capacity.
- Balance&Recoil system that handles firing ballistics/missiles or getting shot.

- High structure, to make disarming and crits an important aspect

- Missile lock system: targeting specific sections / missile

And just for fun Macross style mod:
- Jump Jet mod to make mechs fly like the Macross fighter/guardian.
- Macross Missile Massacre volley model (multi target lock)

#11 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 10 June 2019 - 12:55 PM

Everything they have in Roguetech. Just allllll of BT and then some.

#12 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 12:11 AM

Lost me at cone of fire, dat for table top and dice not mechwarrior wid mouse and keyboard

#13 MechaBattler

• Survivor
  • Survivor
  • 5,119 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:09 PM

Read about the Brotherhood of Randis today. It's interesting how they go from producing just ammo to producing Retrotech mechs, including their own native design.

It makes me wish I had pursued programming. I would love to see a mod where you build up your own periphery nation.

#14 PandorasHope

Rookie

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 2 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:53 AM

I'd like to see property value calculated, in terms of damage.
In one of the books the simulator does that and it affects pilot rating.

#15 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:14 PM

View Postprism265, on 21 June 2019 - 02:53 AM, said:

I'd like to see property value calculated, in terms of damage.

What you mean like the player's net worth in C-Bills? Or the total C-Bill value of the many buildings you blow up on missions? Don't games nowadays automatically do these kinds of things for Achievements and such?

#16 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 16 July 2019 - 04:40 PM

I want for example different kind of Medium lasers. Like in the Battletech game but improved but still not as much that in overlaps into say, Er Medium laser territory.

That all kind of medium lasers differenciate due to which kind of producer. And all are kinda side grades of a standard laser BUT some can be better in certain situations where a tiny bit more range would help at the cost of damage. Again not to confuse it with the more mainly improved ER medium laser .

http://www.sarna.net/wiki/Medium_Laser

NOTE: and if anyone do a mod akin to what Im looking for, ditch "+, ++, +++", its kind of tacky in Battletech and reminds me more of a linear One-way upgrade pointer.

I do want this for as many weapons as possible, not just lasers... well energy weapons in general but all weapon classes and their sub groups and variants.

Edited by Tordin, 16 July 2019 - 04:42 PM.

#17 Reno Blade

• The Blade
  • The Blade
  • 3,459 posts
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 July 2019 - 11:16 AM

On second thought, I will prepare my mods also in such a way:

General:
- General structure increase to make disarming more valid over coring
- General heat cap and dissipation to be slow (similar to Techlevel1) to reduce boating/alpha benefits
- General faster cooldowns of all Weapons

These 3 alone will reduce the benetit of larger boats as you can not fire as much together and not as often, while lower number of weapons (usually smaller mechs) can fire few more times and use the faster cooldown without overheat too fast.

Weapon damage over time
- Weapons to be hard to use without good aim and clever movement to increase movement importance and reduce TTK
-> long laser durations, AC bursts and missile volley streams (e.g. Clan LRM style)
At the same time, total damage per weapon would be higher if you hit with the full duration/burst/stream.
=Risk might be here that slow mechs (assaults) feel too much like easy targets -> TBD

FLD weapons moved from PinPoint to splash
- PPCs using real radius splash (if possible), to make it harder to use and deliver PPFLD vs the difficulties of above weapons
- PPC Capacitors to charge up, but generate heat while doing so
- All ACs using burst, so in previous category of DoT wepaon
- Gauss splitting the damage between armor and internal (40-60% random split) - On the Torsos the weapon could pierce, if there is no front armor, so the armor on the rear takes the percentage instead, or if also no armor, the projectile just pierces and the damage portion is lost.

Equipment/Mods
- Mech equipment/mods that act as skills to push one/two aspects such as turn/twist speed/jump-range for a large boost to one or two aspects of a mech to really push in a specific role
-> possible additional variants with +/- effects similar to very first versions of MWOs modules (where you had to balance +range with +extraheat)

#18 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 19 July 2019 - 10:09 AM

View PostReno Blade, on 18 July 2019 - 11:16 AM, said:

General:
- General structure increase to make disarming more valid over coring
- General heat cap and dissipation to be slow (similar to Techlevel1) to reduce boating/alpha benefits
- General faster cooldowns of all Weapons

AC boat meta?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users