The "cure" For Insane Waiting Times...

16 replies to this topic

#1 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 07:22 AM

wild idea from the side, and note: just throwing thoughts out, nobody is saying this is 'balanced'

if we keep the "grouping up the solos" groups to 12, we could say that filthy premades could be limited to, say, 10.
basically a filter where we throw 12 people without group against said 10 who are in groupes / in 1 group.
could even go down further like "10" when several groups combined, 9 when 1 big group..

could ofc lead to desasters when meeting 12 good solos, but more often, that is not the case.
could lead to some more fun matches, for both premades and solos, I think.

#2 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 06 June 2019 - 10:26 AM

Only thing I see wrong with this, I'm 99% adk after I hot that search button, 2ould it require every person to accept it? Just the person with the crown? Both teams? Because I know for a fact I'f I'm solo q'ing, I'd never stop against a team that's confident they will win with 9 people. Or, if I'm on the side that has 9 people, I wouldn't expect people to hit accept either. Not k owing who is on the other aide.

And if my side has 12, and only 10 enemy want to drop it's going to be boring. I like the idea but I don't think people will be active enough for it.

#3 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 08 June 2019 - 12:23 AM

Interesting idea. Not sure I'm on-board with it though. I think I'd rather we just focused on getting people back into the queue.

#4 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 14 June 2019 - 01:12 AM

try getting 24x people during the off peak hours, i am honestly surprised if i get ANY invasion game AT ALL of an evening my (OCE) time when you (NA and EU) are offline.
i would say anything is better than nothing, i mean i would happily be in one lance vs two lances rather than watch the searching circle for MULTIPLE HOURS at a time, but i am afraid that any measure invented to 'fix' anything will ...not be unlike other 'fixes'.

the only hope is the patch. once we have the ability to balance the sides again ourselves then MAYBE enough people could log in again and then MAYBE there could be a game, though after crying about it here i have possibly jinxed myself to polar highland incursion for my one game this month...

bring in 4v4 in assault mechs!

#5 Grus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Devil
  • Little Devil
  • 4,155 posts

Posted 14 June 2019 - 04:13 AM

Just alt-tab, pull up YouTube and watch this...

https://youtu.be/XqZsoesa55w

Its Paul's favorite song. ;) lol

#6 Monkey Lover

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 14 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

This has been request for years. PGI doesn't have any real programmers left or they have no will do anything. All they want to do is for you to buy mechpacks and now they think people have too many mechs so they're not buying them lol

I mean What game anymore has a Q where you sit and do nothing? Thats flippen insane. NO game would allow players to sit for 30 minutes doing NOTHING waiting for a game. This was ok in beta but its been 5 years....

Edited by Monkey Lover, 14 June 2019 - 11:47 AM.

#7 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:38 PM

wait times are the biggest buzzkill in this game. its worse than unbalanced teams, nascar, seal clubbings, elitism, bad design of everything else, asymptotic development, failure to have a programmer on staff, etc.

i tend to favor arena shooters where you can respawn and get back into the game quickly. where even if you are losing you dont have to wait an eternity in a situation you cant control to try again.

#8 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 June 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

wait times are the biggest buzzkill in this game. its worse than unbalanced teams, nascar, seal clubbings, elitism, bad design of everything else, asymptotic development, failure to have a programmer on staff, etc.

I dunno. I reckon waiting an hour, then being put into a Boreal Vault Attack, with clueless PUGs against a strong 12-man, is probably the single biggest frustration. (It's amazing how often that map and mode comes up after a long wait.)

I'd rather wait an extra 10 minutes for a decent match, than get bad matches quickly. Just my preference.

Edited by Appogee, 15 June 2019 - 04:43 PM.

#9 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 15 June 2019 - 04:47 PM

View PostAppogee, on 15 June 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

I dunno. I reckon waiting an hour, then being put into a Boreal Vault Attack, with clueless PUGs against a strong 12-man, is probably the single biggest frustration. (It's amazing how often that map and mode comes up after a long wait.)

I'd rather wait an extra 10 minutes for a decent match, than get bad matches quickly. Just my preference.

this happens far more than it should. but to be fair in that case even if you were on the more advantageous side you would probably still lose. but no, an extra 10 minutes of doing nothing is worse than 10 minutes of biting the curb in game. at least in game you have a chance to fight robots. nothings worse than waiting 30 minutes for that perfect game just to get stomped, and then have to wait another 30 minutes for the exact same match.

Edited by LordNothing, 15 June 2019 - 04:53 PM.

#10 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 16 June 2019 - 06:30 AM

Interesting idea . .

Best way to fix the wait times though is to fix (or unfix depending on your view of the debacle that FW has become of late) FW/CW and draw people back into the game . . .

Please don't hold your breath :)

#11 Appogee

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:36 AM

View PostMetalgod69, on 16 June 2019 - 03:36 AM, said:

But one scenario is even more frustrating:

First you wait for an eternity. Then you have 11:12 - and you are thrown out because of a preamde team.
So you wait again for 25 min. and finally you get polar incursion. The enemy super über elite preamde team makes a base rush and its all over after a few minutes.

OMG we are living the same life!

#12 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:51 AM

AI, AI, AI..

Mechs that could be piloted well by the AI to take the place of people, WHEN population numbers for a given side are low would help out faction war a lot. I don't know why its so hard for the PGI devs to see this and actually spend some time looking into it as a option long term for Faction war.

I know the devs want MWO to be restricted to Player Versus Player Environment. When the FW mode keeps on getting lower numbers and people move on, it is because it is not evolving. Its not like the crysis engine never had AI put in the engine for other games.

AI will take development time, but it would be there to always solve the low population as a backup until a better solution can be found. My hope for MWO would be that they would move the game over to the unreal engine because of the limitations of the crysis engine. If people stop coming to MWO because they might face more AI mechs, well blame that on the FW system not being enjoyable anymore with the features therein. An example of the game warframe, it has far expanded from what it was, when I was in the closed beta. IT has even added player versus player arenas, (similar to Solaris 7, in terms of the scope) even though its main focus is Player versus Environments (AI).

#13 zolop

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 284 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:55 AM

View PostLordNothing, on 15 June 2019 - 04:38 PM, said:

i tend to favor arena shooters where you can respawn and get back into the game quickly. where even if you are losing you dont have to wait an eternity in a situation you cant control to try again.

I tend to like more tactical games like arma 3, where you have to take your time, but because of the limited nature of the battlefield in MWO, I'd rather just keep playing quickplay. The wait times are horrible for Faction War right now. I do like the drop decks and with they would include them into quickplay. Make it so the selection system is 1.Planet/Mission 2. Drop deck choice / pick 4 mechs with a total of 260 tons.

really tired of getting a polar highlands with my brawler mech...especially my slower assault.

Edited by zolop, 16 June 2019 - 07:56 AM.

#14 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,734 posts

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:46 PM

View Postzolop, on 16 June 2019 - 07:55 AM, said:

I tend to like more tactical games like arma 3, where you have to take your time, but because of the limited nature of the battlefield in MWO, I'd rather just keep playing quickplay. The wait times are horrible for Faction War right now. I do like the drop decks and with they would include them into quickplay. Make it so the selection system is 1.Planet/Mission 2. Drop deck choice / pick 4 mechs with a total of 260 tons.

really tired of getting a polar highlands with my brawler mech...especially my slower assault.

quick play would be a million times better if you could pick your mech on the vote screen or during game load once the map is known. it would give a non-fp reason to build drop decks. the ones for quick play would just be limited to one weight class with no tonnage limits at all. then at the vote screen you could pick a mech that is better suited to the map. if you own multiple decks for each weight class then you get more choices once the map is known. you could then build mechs for specific maps and never end up in a situation where you have to hide in a ditch the whole match because your team wont move into weapons range.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users