43 replies to this topic

#1 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:37 PM

Well.. it has been a long 2 weeks. So here's a summary of all happening on all fronts in terms of Faction Play.

1) Players will be able to change Factions between matches.
- Click the Fight button and join the queue.
- If the queue is lopsided and you wish to change sides, click Cancel to exit queue.
- Go to the Faction selection screen and swap Factions.
- Click Fight again and you'll be in queue for the Faction you just swapped to.
- NOTE: You will lose your queue priority doing this.

2) There will be multiple game modes in each Phase of a Conflict.
- A single Phase can have any number of a subset of available game modes.
- e.g. A Phase can consist of 1 story point that allows Assault, Skirmish and Conquest game modes to take place for the Phase's duration so players are not locked into a single game mode for an extended period of time.
- NOTE: If story requires it, a Phase can be limited to a single game mode but this would be a rare occurrence.

3) There will be a bar on the Faction Select screen that will indicate the current pledged population balance between the two Factions involved in the current Conflict.
- NOTE: The active queue balance will still be shown on the main map screen's conflict window.

All 3 items above will be in June's patch.

The Loyalist role and LP accumulation thread has had some great discussion points and feedback. While not everything has been addressed in there, the first steps to a solid layout are taking shape. It's important to keep in mind that values for anything in a design spec are subject to change, it's the concept and functionality that are being hammered out. Keeping things moving in that discussion will be critical to getting Loyalty aspects of FP to a state that players can buy into. I look forward to continuing the discussion and also updating as things get formalized into a final design spec.

The Loyalist discussion thread can be found here.

#2 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:46 PM

sounds ok thankyou.
could siege please also be part of MWO again?

it is not worth waiting hours to play on a quickplay map.

Edited by BROARL, 07 June 2019 - 04:48 PM.

#3 Paul Inouye

Lead Designer

• Developer
  • Developer
  • 2,815 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:50 PM

View PostBROARL, on 07 June 2019 - 04:46 PM, said:

sounds ok thankyou.
could siege please also be part of MWO again?

Yes..siege is being incorporated into more conflicts.

A note on this... story points branch depending on how the phase plays out. If Faction A wins, it goes along the winning path. If Faction B wins, it goes along the losing path. There are cases where Siege is on the winning path and Assault is on the losing path. But that being said, siege is being written into more and more pathways on both winning and losing branches.

#4 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 June 2019 - 04:52 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 07 June 2019 - 04:37 PM, said:

Well.. it has been a long 2 weeks. So here's a summary of all happening on all fronts in terms of Faction Play.

- Click the Fight button and join the queue.
- If the queue is lopsided and you wish to change sides, click Cancel to exit queue.
- Go to the Faction selection screen and swap Factions.
- Click Fight again and you'll be in queue for the Faction you just swapped to.
- NOTE: You will lose your queue priority doing this.

2) There will be multiple game modes in each Phase of a Conflict.
- A single Phase can have any number of a subset of available game modes.
- e.g. A Phase can consist of 1 story point that allows Assault, Skirmish and Conquest game modes to take place for the Phase's duration so players are not locked into a single game mode for an extended period of time.
- NOTE: If story requires it, a Phase can be limited to a single game mode but this would be a rare occurrence.

3) There will be a bar on the Faction Select screen that will indicate the current pledged population balance between the two Factions involved in the current Conflict.
- NOTE: The active queue balance will still be shown on the main map screen's conflict window.

All 3 items above will be in June's patch.

The Loyalist role and LP accumulation thread has had some great discussion points and feedback. While not everything has been addressed in there, the first steps to a solid layout are taking shape. It's important to keep in mind that values for anything in a design spec are subject to change, it's the concept and functionality that are being hammered out. Keeping things moving in that discussion will be critical to getting Loyalty aspects of FP to a state that players can buy into. I look forward to continuing the discussion and also updating as things get formalized into a final design spec.

The Loyalist discussion thread can be found here.

This is AWESOME! Thank you, Paul!

#5 Appogee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 10,966 posts
  • LocationOn planet Tukayyid, celebrating victory

Posted 07 June 2019 - 05:42 PM

View PostPaul Inouye, on 07 June 2019 - 04:50 PM, said:

Yes..siege is being incorporated into more conflicts.

A note on this... story points branch depending on how the phase plays out. If Faction A wins, it goes along the winning path. If Faction B wins, it goes along the losing path. There are cases where Siege is on the winning path and Assault is on the losing path. But that being said, siege is being written into more and more pathways on both winning and losing branches.

Also, awesome!

Incidentally, the story mode is a neat idea. I'd love to see you beef it up further, with splash screens adding further colour and flavour to the conflict. Feature the current mission. on the FP home page. Put out call to arms. Play the role of ComStar and Tweet out the state of battles.

You could also provide further incentives to take the stories seriously, through Conflict based rewards. For example:
  • a faction successfully captures a Steiner Mech factory - they can buy half price Atlases for a day. But if Steiner defends it, those aligned to Steiner get the half price Atlases.
  • Ghost Bear wins a conflict - half price totem Mechs (Spirit Bear) in celebration. But if they lose, the victors get to salvage half-price Kodiaks.
  • Diamond Shark wins a conflict - extra CBills granted by their Khan. If they lose, the victors raid their coffers.
  • Maybe award relevant cockpit flags or bolt-ons to the mechwarriors with the highest cumulative match scores in a conflict?

These kinds of ideas would add to the immersion of FP and help keep players coming back for more.

Edited by Appogee, 07 June 2019 - 05:51 PM.

#6 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 07 June 2019 - 06:33 PM

OOOh Appogee. I love the cheap mech rewards for the victors. It starts heading toward the concept of a lore economy that was in the original CW presentation, small steps.

#7 VigorousApathy

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Thumper
  • The Thumper
  • 130 posts
  • LocationI have no idea. Im getting sky high in a spider 5v.

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:05 PM

I like appogee's point on rewards to incentivise playing storyline.

Id also like to point out a topic which broarl and others have mentioned; Let us loan mechs, or gift cbills, or make a "trial" unit dropdeck for new players. Many units would more easily be able to train new players, and probably retain them if we could just put a new player in a mech and say, "drive this, follow us, shoot what we shoot."

This would also incentivise playing with a unit, which might make units matter more than they do now.

Edit: thanks for making changes that we wanted.

Edited by VigorousApathy, 07 June 2019 - 07:14 PM.

#8 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

Here's a request - can the IS be scheduled to play sometime? I've been available for up to five hours each night, but completely unable to play.

Tonight - nothing but Smoke Jaguar and Diamond Shark.
Last Night - nothing but Steel Viper vs Jade Falcon
Night before that - nothing but Ghost Bear vs Smoke Jaguar

You know, it'd be a real nice thing to be able to play an IS game. I couldn't care less who it's against, but let at least one side be IS once in a while.

#9 BROARL

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • General
  • General
  • 301 posts
  • Locationcommunity warfare

Posted 07 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

i remember the old days when the storyline was broken into scouting, siege attack, and siege counter attack.
we didn't need a paragraph in the corner, there were people playing and we made our own stories... ;)

#10 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 08:07 PM

Regarding the plan to make Clan Loyalists earn very little LP when fighting in IS vs IS conflicts, keep in mind lore does have a Clan Loyalist unit go deep under cover as a merc unit and participate in IS vs IS conflicts. The Wolf Dragoons.

#11 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 07 June 2019 - 09:09 PM

I am personally a dude who cares nothing about lore, and just wants good games and the best possible match ups given the population. That said, there needs to be a way to honour the dudes who really identify and associate themselves with a faction and be able to write them into the conflict. Like Nightbird said there is lore for this as well and these diehard folks are an important part of our population. Think Grus and his guys who were previously CW staples and are now a rarity. Please make up and be nice to these folks we need them.

The other thing is drawing in new, fresh players wouldn't be all that realistic and what I personally feel is there needs to be a draw from the current quick play population. Events are a great way to do that and since GXP is often used as an inducement to play Solaris, and the value of not only being able to grind out a mechbay but if a player could make the grind less painful on new mechs be it purchased with cbills or real money, I think that would be enticing. As well being a CW junkie who had under the old system had tons and tons of modules, I have an advantage since I still have a few thousand skill points and something like 700,000 gxp, oh and historical xp for when I buy multiple chassis of a variant. A little something to level the field a bit and bring people in without having to strictly use MC would be something that may work well for the population and PGI.

#12 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 07 June 2019 - 10:16 PM

Question Paul... To clarify.

The population bar - is that a LIVE representation of population? So whomever has selected for that specific conflict only?

Edited by justcallme A S H, 07 June 2019 - 10:16 PM.

#13 J a y

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 124 posts

Posted 08 June 2019 - 04:59 PM

Well, I guess I gotta wear those red heels that you like when we go out for that steak dinner.

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 07 June 2019 - 10:16 PM, said:

The population bar - is that a LIVE representation of population? So whomever has selected for that specific conflict only?

Also curious about this.

#14 BARRY SHlTPEAS

• PipPipPip
  • Overlord
  • Overlord
  • 80 posts
  • LocationBrown Sea Buccaneer

Posted 09 June 2019 - 03:45 AM

Cool. By being able to switch factions again, and not being locked into a single game mode per conflict phase, Faction Play is trending towards how it used to be a month ago.

So the faction play changes will now boil down to:
1) We get a timer to look at whilst waiting for a game.
2) We get a paragraph of text per conflict to set the scene, which as far as I can deduce has little to no bearing on subsequent conflicts.
3) The Unit/Player leaderboards are gone.
4) We have two minutes in the pre-match lobby, instead of the previous one minute. This is 100% better or worse depending on your perspective.
5) Much greater frequency of Clan vs Clan or IS vs IS.
6) New matchmaker function for Faction Play, to limit 12-man "roflstomps". As far as I can tell it now takes longer to get a match, and the overall match 'quality' is much as it was before.

Edited by -Verti-, 09 June 2019 - 06:48 AM.

#15 ThirdWorld

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 8 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

This is good. Still a problem if you don't play Clan or IS when it is clan v clan or is v is. But still a step in the right direction.

I like the idea of having faction play effect the store prices but I would do it as 5-10% so it isn't too much but still a reason to win.

Edited by ThirdWorld, 09 June 2019 - 06:50 AM.

#16 Johnny Rico

• PipPipPip
  • The Defender
  • The Defender
  • 60 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 06:59 AM

this,my 12 man waiting 10+ for drops SUCKED,cant wait for this

#17 shaytalis

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 271 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 11:19 AM

Thank you, Paul!

#18 tee5

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 521 posts

Posted 09 June 2019 - 08:06 PM

Players need to be able to level one faction, with these conflicts you get a little bit LP for Wolf, Kurita, Davion, etc.
But you are not able to level one faction.

And regarding your plan with alliances. It should not be that someone get only 0,6 of the normal LP, when he is in the wrong alliance.

No make it that everyone gets the normal amount of LP:

#19 Monkey Lover

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 7,918 posts
  • LocationWazan

Posted 10 June 2019 - 03:31 AM

This basically just destroyed any reason to care about the cw story, care about the cw mode, and the tiny bit of hope for cw...

So.... yahhhhh

#20 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 10 June 2019 - 05:30 AM

View PostThirdWorld, on 09 June 2019 - 06:50 AM, said:

This is good. Still a problem if you don't play Clan or IS when it is clan v clan or is v is. But still a step in the right direction.

100%. Paul and co. needs to realize that many people who play (or would play FP) don't have mechs for both IS and Clan and that we shouldn't be forcing them to a side they don't have mechs for in order to play FP. For YEARS players could choose a faction and be assured they wouldn't need mechs for the other side in order to play FP. Now this is no longer the case. I understand the story aspect of FP but I'd gladly give up story to ensure more players can play FP.

Edited by Charles Sennet, 10 June 2019 - 05:33 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users