Snv-A - Missile Boating Done Right.

9 replies to this topic

#1 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 11 June 2019 - 05:53 AM

I like missile boats. I think they're fun. I'm looking at making a SNV-A that's good for fire support at all but extreme close range. The idea behind this mech is to follow behind the brawlers adding heavy fire support. I'm using the LRM20s instead of going all ATMs because they are much more efficient than ATMs in terms of weight, ammo, and damage delivered for long range targets.
Thoughts? Ideas to improve the build?

Edited by Ryan256, 11 June 2019 - 07:04 AM.

#2 Hierarch

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 08:42 AM

Don’t do it if you wanna quick play you need to be faster.

#3 Gagis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 09:50 AM

Just use 4ATM12 and focus on maximizing your punch at 300 metres or so. With every range node from the skill tree, you deal 3 damage up to 310 metres, and theres a falloff from that to 2 after that.

Bring 1 or 2 jump jets for manouvering.

Edited by Gagis, 11 June 2019 - 09:55 AM.

#4 Ryan256

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 37 posts
  • LocationMaylene, AL

Posted 11 June 2019 - 10:46 AM

View PostHierarch, on 11 June 2019 - 08:42 AM, said:

Don’t do it if you wanna quick play you need to be faster.

Faster how? I'm using the biggest engine the Supernova can hold.

#5 Hierarch

• PipPipPip
  • The Cub
  • The Cub
  • 68 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:32 AM

View PostRyan256, on 11 June 2019 - 10:46 AM, said:

Faster how? I'm using the biggest engine the Supernova can hold.

Use a faster mech

#6 Eurystheus

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • The Grizzly
  • The Grizzly
  • 131 posts

Posted 11 June 2019 - 11:52 AM

I like to boat missles on big mechs too. Before they updated LRM behavior I had great luck sitting out of sight lobbing missles at mechs getting a lot of kills with a NCT-B with 6 LRM15s. After they changed LRM and AMS behavior, I noticed what when I was out of LOS AMS was much more effective against my LRMs. So I started exposing myself to get the lower arc on LRMs. I started scoring more hits, but also exposed myself to return fire. Then the smart players started charging me, getting inside the minimum range of LRMs and killing me. So I removed two LRM15s and added heavy large lasers and streak srms, which allowed me to defend myself.

The SNV-A can take a lot of damage. But it is also slow. So if an enemy mech can get within 120m of you, you need to be able to defend yourself. Or at least I do. So I run with this build:

SNV-A

#7 Luscious Dan

• The Privateer
  • The Privateer
  • 1,146 posts
  • Twitter: Link
  • LocationEdmonton, AB

Posted 11 June 2019 - 02:12 PM

ATMs need to control range to perform well, so a Supernova is a tricky one since it's slower/less agile than a heavy or medium. The ATM mechs I like are an Orion IIC-A (I won the champion one from some event a while back). Quad ATM9, TAG, ERPPC. It's fast enough to keep up and manage distance, and has tools for shooting down UAV and countering ECM.

ON1-IIC-A(C)

If you want to use a mixed LRM/ATM boat, Baradul did a video with one a while back.

FIRE ALL THE MISSILES!

Edited by Luscious Dan, 11 June 2019 - 02:13 PM.

#8 The6thMessenger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

Yes. Bring Light Active Probe

Also, you'd be using your LRMs a lot more because wider range to use, so you should have more ammo for it.

Edited by The6thMessenger, 11 June 2019 - 03:32 PM.

#9 Barkem Squirrel

• The Bowman
  • The Bowman
  • 1,082 posts
  • LocationEarth.

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:33 PM

I mixed the Scorch, Marader IIC with LRMs and ATM's. Let them charge, then whack 30 LRMs, and 24 ATMS. Still I have more fun in Mediums with ATMs just because I can keep the range set. the Mad dog is not bad, or the Hellborne.

But what is really fun. Locust 4 Rocket launcher 20's with ERML. Assaults just melt when you play the sneaky SOB that back stabs them and yes I do check at 200 then fire at 100 just in case they have seismic.

#10 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 11 June 2019 - 07:46 PM

Thread title very misleading - There is no right here at all... It's all wrong.

Either all ATM or all LRM and get the armour distribution correct, 20 rear armour is totally backwards. HML are also objectively bad due to range, heat and duration all being not great.

SNV-A - LRM

SNV-A - ATM

How I would run the SNV-A - Because I have many, many times ended up with ~500 rounds left and 1600dmg+. Artemis is still, IMO, overly nerfed and not worth the tonnages in some situations.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 11 June 2019 - 07:48 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users