80 replies to this topic

#1 Clownwarlord

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 3,410 posts
  • LocationBusy stealing clan mechs.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:38 AM

Well ... ... I am afraid to say it ... but here it goes.

Quadrupeds (Quads), yes if PGI would make even 1 quad and then make a huge roll of the dice by throwing money into advertisement then maybe. Or something like that, PGI would need to find something that would get a lot of positive hype and push advertising at the same time. That way the hype for whatever they did would drown out negative info from the past several years while they do advertising that brings new players looking into the game.

Sadly neither are going to happen. Firstly PGI will not put much more money/time into any development to bring a big hype to the game. Secondly PGI doesn't have the money now to put into advertising the game. The money has been milked and spent already with development (status quo) for the past few years and MW5.

#2 Kotzi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,356 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:44 AM

An enjoyable game. I guess buying stuff is not really a substitute for content, real content. Well people will buy stuff if they enjoy themselves but roughly 6 years of same ol same broke my spirit.

#3 Gagis

• FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • FP Veteran - Beta 1
  • 1,731 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:53 AM

There's like a total of five of us who would get hyped over quads. Let's not pretend it matters.

New netcode would go a long way though. Not sure if it would even be possible within the confines of Cryengine. Full engine update would go even further of course, but that'd cost a fat stack of monies.

#4 Daggett

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 1,244 posts
  • Google+: Link
  • LocationGermany

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:58 AM

In my opinion quads will not make it. The new-player experience is too bad because MWO lacks the spatial awareness to keep the learning-curve manageable for the average player.

MWO probably started to die way back in 2013 when PGI indeed made the right call that a third-person view is needed to increase spatial awareness for new players but failed to implement it the way it needed to be because of community resistance.

I'm pretty sure if they would have implemented proper 3PV right from the start and as a core-gameplay feature like WoT did (where both view-modes are equally important depending on the situation), then MWO would have a much bigger playerbase today despite all the other problems MWO has. From all bad decisions PGI made, promising backers to never implement 3PV was probably the most sustainability-destroying one and now it's too late to fix that.

Edited by Daggett, 18 June 2019 - 08:09 AM.

#5 vonJerg

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 329 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:37 AM

Well, it looks like they want to make some progress with CW to make it a bit more story like, in order to make it a nice selling point, a huk, for MW5 players that will want some more challenging opposition few months after the MW5 release.

But I guess they should look into a way to simplify skill maze, or even revert back to old system, in order to make it easier for newer players to get a grasp. Also, rule of 3 was better business model then we have now. You needed 3 variants, so a mech pack with 3+ variants had sense. Now, you usually want only one or two, so why not just wait for that one to get available for c-bills, why waste 2/3 of your real bucks purchase?

#6 Half Ear

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 147 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:46 AM

• New/updated game engine
  • Making mechs, especially humanoid mechs, more viable beyond basic quirks.
    • Ability to raise the entire arm, not just the forearm, one arm at a time, to fire arm mounted weapons
    • Punch/Kicks (lets see locust/mist lynx/etc hugs now..)
    • Knockdowns are likely out so stick with the previous two items
  • One modified map (off current stock) every quarter, new map 6 months (trying to be realistic)
  • isXL survive ST loss, isXL-cXL-LFE having different percentage penalties
  • Cash (or MC) purchase to permanently enhance a mech with C-Bill boost
  • Updated Academy - allow duo in a live fire arena w/ progressively enhanced AI
  • Release of tanks
  • Advertisement - but without it being more fleshed out, it may get them through the door but the object is to keep them
    • Rearrangement of how Solo and Group queue works with ability to flip switch to make them each a mixed queue, one primarily focused on solo pugs and one focused on groups but not exclusively
      • Solo queue - duo can opt into (cannot opt out of group), higher tier used, one per side max - both teams would have a duo or neither team would have a duo.
      • Group queue - solo can opt into query, max 3 per team
      • Rework of the Tier/PSR/MM-- reposted from another thread

• Lets start with PSR/Tier/MM. Does it require a complete rewrite or serious tweak what is in place?
    • Serious Tweaks
    • Realignment by seeding players with by using last 6-12 month averages
    • For seeding, a player would not be eligible to be moved to bottom tier nor top tier, a bell curve
    • Keep 5 tiers or should it be expanded a little..
    • PSR itself. If on a win if there is to be no lose/neg movement, raise the no change from 100 MS to 175-200 MS
    • MM - use of Tier(s) + avg MS over last 250-500 games
Lets start with PSR/Tier/MM. Does it require a complete rewrite or serious tweak what is in place?
  • Serious Tweaks
  • Realignment by seeding players with by using last 6-12 month averages
  • For seeding, a player would not be eligible to be moved to bottom tier nor top tier, a bell curve
  • Keep 5 tiers or should it be expanded a little..
  • PSR itself. If on a win if there is to be no lose/neg movement, raise the no change from 100 MS to 175-200 MS
  • MM - use of Tier(s) + avg MS over last 250-500 games

Edited by Half Ear, 18 June 2019 - 03:19 AM.

#7 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,066 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:55 AM

Nothing really. Maps with decent design that don't focus on a central thing that isn't a building or terrain that controls the map. Once you learn 1/4th the map you've pretty much learned it all. Look at a map like Alpine in skirmish mode in qp. The lemmings still go to the k-l bottom of the mountain. The rest of the map unused.

If there were anything that could save mwo it would be management that gives a dam and after that a new engine or slow migration to one.

#8 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,735 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:38 AM

quads == novelty. this game is in dire need of new sources of novelty. its the same old worn out game over and over again and there is nothing new to keep me interested.

#9 MrMadguy

• 2,193 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:48 AM

Just two words. Enjoyable game. Some gamedevs just can't understand, that they just can't force players to buy things. People invest money into game, when they enjoy it. Why did I buy my first Hero 'Mech? Because I enjoyed playing this game in free variants. I stopped investing money into this game right at the same moment, when I stopped enjoying it.

#10 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 08:54 AM

Wasn't aware a 7 year old profitable game needed saving...

#11 Cizjut

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 93 posts
  • LocationMexico

Posted 18 June 2019 - 09:44 AM

8v8 queue
More gadgets and options to create windows of opportunity (Smoke grenades, Chaff grenades, mortars, mines, incendiary shots, changing ammo types, blinding shots) anything that refreshes the peekaboo game
Enforced Conquest mode, as it's the only one that takes any specialization/splitting lances into consideration or anything that resembles teamwork
Solaris must be round based holy **** it takes ages to find a single soul in queue and it's over in an instant
Customizable HUDs or thematic ones

Wishlist that will NEVER EVER
Punching
Interactable cockpits
Inverse Kinematics

#12 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:04 AM

8v8 isn't going to fix anything.

They need to stop trying to cater to various groups and instead focus on good gameplay/content.

#13 Kaeb Odellas

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 2,934 posts
  • LocationKill the meat, save the metal

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:14 AM

A UE4 sequel

#14 Marquis De Lafayette

• CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • CS 2023 Top 12 Qualifier
  • 1,396 posts
  • LocationIn Valley Forge with General Washington

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:22 AM

A time machine + a different, better developer are probably the most “realistic” options that (combined) would be needed to truly “save MWO” at this point. So let’s hope for those things...lol....

MWO2 if developed would be a different game and depending on development decisions could begin the cycle of interest in the game anew. Likely years away at best though....

That said....I still enjoy the game (despite its issues) and so I hope it keeps going for years to come. It still has appeal after many years....which is more than many other games can say.

#15 Ryokens leap

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,180 posts
  • LocationEdmonton, Alberta, Canada

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:38 AM

View PostMarquis De Lafayette, on 18 June 2019 - 11:22 AM, said:

A time machine + a different, better developer are probably the most “realistic” options that (combined) would be needed to truly “save MWO” at this point. So let’s hope for those things...lol....

MWO2 if developed would be a different game and depending on development decisions could begin the cycle of interest in the game anew. Likely years away at best though....

That said....I still enjoy the game (despite its issues) and so I hope it keeps going for years to come. It still has appeal after many years....which is more than many other games can say.

Yes this and a game developer president who isn’t insanely fixated on an unrealistic E-sport fantasy.

#16 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:25 PM

Honestly, all this game needs, really, is more players. If you had 15k actual players q'ing at almost every major timezone, it would fix so so so so so so so many problems

Matchmaker could actually do its job.

There would be such a diversity of units in the game, people could actually enjoy the lore of thegame, AMD do all their fun in-unit things.

It would make units actually useful again.

It would bring in $$$ to keep the lights on, the sudden influx of so many people would boom with mechpacks, and MC purchases to keep pgi afloat.

With the added income they could add more developers to fuel new gameplay, and possibly transfer off this God forsaken engine it's running on.

Which would then open up tons of new development that was previously thought not possible.

So, in reality, just people. People who stay.

#17 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:29 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 18 June 2019 - 12:25 PM, said:

Honestly, all this game needs, really, is more players.

Can't have players if PGI doesn't care about delivering compelling experiences. The art is great, the engine works, the mech on mech action works, MM in QP is F**KED up, FP is F**KED up. I equate it to having a grand piano and insisting on playing it with your feet

Edited by Nightbird, 18 June 2019 - 12:33 PM.

#18 C H E E K I E Z

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Rage
  • Rage
  • 540 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:38 PM

View PostNightbird, on 18 June 2019 - 12:29 PM, said:

Can't have players if PGI doesn't care about delivering compelling experiences. The art is great, the engine works, the mech on mech action works, MM in QP is F**KED up, FP is F**KED up. I equate it to having a grand piano and insisting on playing it with your feet

Isn't half the problem with the mm in qp/cw because there are so few people the mm literally just has to throw teams together almost any way it can just to get matches going?

#19 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 18 June 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

Isn't half the problem with the mm in qp/cw because there are so few people the mm literally just has to throw teams together almost any way it can just to get matches going?

Nope. There are always dials you can turn if you cared about improving people's experiences.

For example, for QP, you can provide a drop deck where you put 4 mechs of the same tonnage in, and you pick one for the map you get. The major frustration bringing long range mech to short range map and vice versa turns into zero frustration.

For groups in QP, weaker teams should get more tonnage than stronger teams. Put two top players in a group and they should only get 100 tons total instead of 200. 12 top comp players in group gets 240 tons. Group size equals skill makes as much sense as height equals weight. Perfectly balanced teams every fight.

FP, lower the stronger team's tonnage based on skill difference, since you get both teams in a lobby before launch it's child's play to figure it out. The drop decks are already in place to switch quickly. Perfectly balanced teams every fight IF ONLY BOREAL AND INCURSION IS FIXED

Not being able to is VERY DIFFERENT from not giving a SH*T

Edited by Nightbird, 18 June 2019 - 12:57 PM.

#20 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

View PostC H E E K I E Z, on 18 June 2019 - 12:38 PM, said:

My take on it and as a follow up on Nightbird post, PSR is too easy, tier movement is not difficult with way too much of an upward movement in a static system. And stressing that the current MM uses only Tier level and weight class. One side can be made up of players primarily with a 300+ MS (and lets say the overall team average is 290 MS) while the other side is a sprinkling of players, all Tier 1, with an overall avg of 235 MS. The averages could be from the last 3-6 months or last 500 games.

That alone is a huge difference, and it will generally show in the gameplay, MS and endgame. The side with the most coordinated, skilled on field/mechlab will usually win, and it will be lopsided unless said side makes some huge mistakes which the other side capitalizes on. Though that will generally not happen often. It would be like fielding 1st String vs 3 String of the same team, much less the same class.

As noted in a previous post, the PSR movement is too easy for a majority of the population, considering the overall average MS is between 176 and 250 MS. And via Jarls the overall Seasonal average MS is increasing, with the overall average MS of 235.

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 18 June 2019 - 02:50 PM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users