Rotary Ac Made This Game Fun!

31 replies to this topic

#1 Reposter

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Philanthropist
  • 226 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:37 AM

Hi guys, I was thinking the Rotary AC is what appeals to me to play this game, you feel like a Space Marine Assault Terminator with Assault Cannon, and you can have Missiles and Lasers as well!

How about you guys, anyone fall in love with the RAC?

#2 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 05:48 AM

I like the RAC. I have an Annihilator with 2 RAC5 + 2 LB5X. It works pretty well and is great at suppression. God forbid a mech gets out in the open where I can hit him.

That said RACs aren't the best weapon in the game, they suffer from that spool up time a lot.

#3 Curccu

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:00 AM

View PostWolfos31, on 18 June 2019 - 05:48 AM, said:

I like the RAC. I have an Annihilator with 2 RAC5 + 2 LB5X. It works pretty well and is great at suppression. God forbid a mech gets out in the open where I can hit him.

That said RACs aren't the best weapon in the game, they suffer from that spool up time a lot.

I can recommend same but better ANH-2A 3xRAC2 3xAC2 balance ammo / DHS to your liking.

#4 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:37 AM

View PostCurccu, on 18 June 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

I can recommend same but better ANH-2A 3xRAC2 3xAC2 balance ammo / DHS to your liking.

^ that.
and the same on the mauler mx90.
dakka-dakka-dakka-DAKKA-DAKKA-DAKKA *boom* Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 18 June 2019 - 06:37 AM.

#5 N a p e s

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The People's Hero
  • The People
  • 1,688 posts
  • LocationQuebec

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:44 AM

Been digging a few RAC builds lately, mainly a 2xRAC5 Thanatos and a 3xRAC2 Jager.

The sheer DPS on an open field is great without actually feeling OP.

#6 Wolfos31

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Mercenary
  • The Mercenary
  • 271 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 06:50 AM

I have the 3xRAC2 + 3AC2 build on my Mauler. On my Anni I'll keep it as is. May not be top of the line but I have a lot of wins in that loadout and I like the way it works.

#7 Dauntless Blint

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 408 posts
  • LocationPlaying other games.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

RAC2's are fun, but I find RAC5's just too hot to manage and the spool-up time kills them, especially on low hard-point assaults.

I keep getting instances where I've a completely clear "jam-risk indication bar" and I'm sitting there waiting for the server to understand I've had the trigger pulled down for 3-4 seconds and the barrels haven't even began to spin up yet (RAC5's).

RAC5's performs bad almost fun, not worth the spool up and face time and heat and jams.It's also hard to see what your shooting through the projectile tracers.

I wish I could put 6 RAC2's on my KGC-000(L) without ghost heat.

Edited by Dauntless Blint, 18 June 2019 - 11:54 AM.

#8 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

I feel like the RAC/2 is one of the most tonnage-efficient ballistics available. You just get so much in one fairly small little package. Great DPS, decent heat, decent range, excellent ammo efficiency...only weakness is not having any frontloaded damage component.

#9 Kiiyor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:58 PM

3 Rac2's, 4 MLAS and quad AMS on the Corsair is hilariously fun.

#10 Khobai

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 23,969 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:09 PM

clans need their version of the RAC

get rid of the useless CACs and add CRACs

#11 Kiiyor

• Big Daddy
  • Big Daddy
  • 5,564 posts
  • LocationSCIENCE.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 07:49 PM

View PostKhobai, on 18 June 2019 - 07:09 PM, said:

clans need their version of the RAC

get rid of the useless CACs and add CRACs

HAG?

Sarna said:

The Hyper-Assault Gauss Rifle is a variation on the Gauss Rifle developed by Clan Hell's Horses in 3068. Hoping to stay ahead of the increasing technological curve, they apparently used similar design principles to the Lyran Alliance's Heavy Gauss Rifle. To compensate for its drawbacks, however, Horse scientists used a series of capacitors and launching tubes to fire a multitude of smaller-caliber Gauss slugs. The resulting high rate of fire, akin almost to Rotary Autocannons, made these weapons very effective against battle armor and Combat Vehicles.

I've always imagined the implementation of HAG in MWO to be more of a metal-storm style fast burst, rather than a sustained barrage like a RAC. Forty single point damage shells for for HAG40 fired over a second or a second and a half. More of a mid-closer range burst brawl weapon, like MRM's, but make the crit explosion more damaging than a vanilla goose waffle to balance it out somewhat. Let it keep the high velocity of gauss but maybe stack the rounds in multiple barrels like the actual metal storm gun (or an SRM launcher) or some recoil so the shots are a little more LBX like instead of it being a ballistic laser - or give it a muzzle climb mechanic that can be offset somewhat with familiarity and skill.

#12 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:45 PM

View PostCurccu, on 18 June 2019 - 06:00 AM, said:

How about six ac2's and forget the rac's completely.

#13 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:03 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 18 June 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

You'll do better with the RACs. The added burst is insane. 6x AC2 is kinda pedestrian by comparison.

#14 Curccu

• Liquid Metal
  • Liquid Metal
  • 4,615 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 12:13 AM

View PostFeral Clown, on 18 June 2019 - 11:45 PM, said:

~28 vs ~17 DPS sure AC2s are lighter and cooler so lazors/peeps can be added but I personally enjoy this "Would you like to stare at me few seconds and die." build :)

#15 Feral Clown

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Little Helper
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 June 2019 - 06:46 PM

View PostTarogato, on 19 June 2019 - 12:03 AM, said:

You'll do better with the RACs. The added burst is insane. 6x AC2 is kinda pedestrian by comparison.

I'll do no such thing. I have two rac mechs for the memes when we racdad in cw, other than that it doesn't suit my playstyle and I absolutely loath the weapon and the face staring it requires.

#16 Tarogato

• Civil Servant
  • Civil Servant
  • 6,557 posts
  • LocationUSA

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:29 PM

View PostFeral Clown, on 19 June 2019 - 06:46 PM, said:

I'll do no such thing. I have two rac mechs for the memes when we racdad in cw, other than that it doesn't suit my playstyle and I absolutely loath the weapon and the face staring it requires.

RACs and AC2s require equivalent face-staring. They are compatible weapons.

If you don't want to play what is effectively the strongest assault build in the game right now... then I guess it's your loss. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 20 June 2019 - 05:45 PM

2x RAC5 + 4x AC2 on the anni is beast at staring.

Shame the RAC5s are unreliable above redline and has a low dissipation rate that pushes people to go over the redline, and velocity that makes the RACs only that effective to standing targets or close ones while moving.

#18 SkaerKrow

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 258 posts
  • LocationLuthien

Posted 10 July 2019 - 09:27 PM

It's a very viscerally satisfying weapon class. I just got back into the game after a few years on the shelf, and I've become enamored pretty quickly with running Riflemen and Jagermech builds that stack multiple RACs. High weapon hardpoints + lots of dakka = love.

#19 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 11 July 2019 - 12:12 AM

RAC5s are slower, hit the redline faster, run hot and the optimal range is far too low. Maybe on mechs with good quirks for RACs you can field a nice RAC5 build but I doubt that'll happen.

#20 Rosh87

• PipPipPip
  • The Solitary
  • 84 posts

Posted 11 July 2019 - 01:15 AM

View PostFRAGTAST1C, on 11 July 2019 - 12:12 AM, said:

RAC5s are slower, hit the redline faster, run hot and the optimal range is far too low. Maybe on mechs with good quirks for RACs you can field a nice RAC5 build but I doubt that'll happen.

Yeah, we definitely need more Mechs with actual Dedicated RAC quirks - because the Skill Tree has so little help for them (entire Cooldown series of nodes being useless in association with them, for example).

I'm thinking things like "RAC bar filling up with yellow color happens at -50% Speed" - or something like that (worded much better than I put it there, for ease of understanding what I'm referencing, of course Posted Image )

I'm also curious if anyone thinks PGI would ever introduce some RAC HSL+1 mechs in the future ?

I would so love to see what Quad RAC-2's or Triple RAC-5's could be capable of - without suffering the devastating Ghost Heat penalties you'd get if you tried those setups currently...

* unless there's some balance reason that would be game-breaking, which I'm not thinking of at this late hour ?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users