#1 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:52 AM

From the patchnotes:

" ATM Design Notes: The core intent of the adaptation of the ATM weapon system in MWO is that it is a missile system designed to reward those that learn how to properly zone themselves from a target to maximize the various damage plateaus before the drop-offs".

Uhh ??? Core intent ? Adaptation of the ATM? Zone oneself ? Damage plateau? Drop offs ? Overall interpretation of text ????

Is this language for the chosen few or just plane ******** ??

Edited by Inatu Elimor, 18 June 2019 - 10:53 AM.

#2 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 10:54 AM

I assume you have better ways to describe those things?

#3 Inatu Elimor

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 312 posts
  • Location1.45 meters below sealevel

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:05 AM

View PostPrototelis, on 18 June 2019 - 10:54 AM, said:

I assume you have better ways to describe those things?

Yes.
You can go from the particulars and present the abstract, or present the particulars from the abstract. I prefer the latter.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:09 AM

Core intent: What PGI wants the weapon to do

Adaptation: Specific changes to ATMs made for MWO

Zone oneself: If the user keeps themselves at a specific distance from the target they get rewarded, getting closer or further away from this specific point will revoke that reward

Damage plateau: ATMs currently deal damage in three separate "plateau" brackets with damage between each bracket increasing/decreasingly linearly between them (as opposed to just a pure linear damage loss like shooting a laser past its optimal range)

Drop offs: If you get too far away from the target your damage will go down drastically

So TL;DR: PGI wanted ATMs to be this "risky" kind of weapon where you have to maintain a specific distance (not too close, not too far) in order to maximize damage, but they found that the previous stats made it too easy for players to do this and thus ATMs got nerfed.

#5 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 18 June 2019 - 11:13 AM

View PostInatu Elimor, on 18 June 2019 - 10:52 AM, said:

From the patchnotes:

" ATM Design Notes: The core intent of the adaptation of the ATM weapon system in MWO is that it is a missile system designed to reward those that learn how to properly zone themselves from a target to maximize the various damage plateaus before the drop-offs".

Uhh ??? Core intent ? Adaptation of the ATM? Zone oneself ? Damage plateau? Drop offs ? Overall interpretation of text ????

Is this language for the chosen few or just plane ******** ??

This is basic English. The vocabulary is used for clarification, not obfuscation, while ensuring brevity. You can explain it in plainer words, sure, but it'll take a lot more of them and it won't express the concepts any better.

#6 VonBruinwald

• The Undisputed
  • The Undisputed
  • 3,460 posts
  • LocationRandis IV

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

I think his confusion may stem from the fact that the patch notes uses abstract terms as if they were common place. I doubt many people are aware/understand that ATM's now do 2.5 damage at 270m (295m pre-patch). As most players including the stat-warriors only refer to the damage in whole numbers. Sure most of us can deduce what damage plateau means but there's also a lot of potatoes Nascaring out there who probably think the drop off was an instant switch from 3 to 2 damage.

Want a challenge? Google how many times PGI has stated the core intent of ATM's and how frequently the terms "damage plateau" and "drop-offs" are used regarding this.

#7 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 01:53 PM

stat warriors

#8 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 18 June 2019 - 02:26 PM

Range and damage got nerfed. Spreadsheet warrior balance team claims another great patch.

#9 evilauthor

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • 519 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:45 PM

Honestly, the only thing I need to know about ATMs are a) what's the max range, B) what's the minimum range, and c) do I have lock and line of sight? Tactical situations in game are generally too fluid for me to try to dictate range as it's all I can do to shoot the other guy while trying to not get shot in return.

I suppose if I was in a fast Light or Medium, I could try dictating range, but trying to not get shot becomes even more important in mechs like those.

#10 Xetelian

• Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 4,390 posts

Posted 18 June 2019 - 04:53 PM

I still don't see mediums like the HMN overly bothered by the slight change to distance.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users