Tau-1V Taurus - Mess With The Bull, Get The Horns

Art Fiction

9 replies to this topic

#1 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

Made this at a request to make a 'minotaur like mech' from my former Unit commander over at ARC7 - shout out to the Baron.

Posted Image

Overall I was pretty happy with how the concept turned out.
I decided to have some fun with it and try to flesh it out some and give it some relevance. Initially I was going to designate it a Clan mech but could not find a Clan that I thought this would sit at home. I also wanted it to be something of a totem mech, representing the faction which it had it's home.
Then it struck me (d'oh). Taurian Concordant!

Following the formation of the Federated Commonwealth that saw the joining of Steiner and Davion forces in 3028, the Taurian leader Thomas Calderon immediately responded by increasing the general state of alert throughout the nation. He also approved several high-risk/high reward research programs that were primarily militaristic in nature, in anticipation of likely future conflicts with the Commonwealth.

One such program- The Guardian Initiative - aimed to introduce a brand new assault mech that could be seen as a national mech of the TDF, allowing other nations to fully recognize the Taurian Concordant as an independent nation. The design was intended to be used in conjunction with TDF's other mech forces and act as a spearhead. Drawing from lessons learned from early TDF mechs such as the Talos and Toro the assault prototype shared some similarities, although they would be superficial in nature. Other non-indigenous technologies were also implemented (a result of TDF's highly secretive Garrus reconnaissance spies). The design would need to be highly mobile, but also durable, with enough armor to be a front line assault if mission parameters called for it.

Initial technological restrictions forced some compromises that would later be amply rectified as newer technologies were developed and or re-discovered. Cappelan aid saw the Taurus program gain valuable technological leaps and solidified several design hurdles. The first prototype commenced trials in 3045, and although deemed a success the design would undergo several changes before being considered 'field ready'. One necessary alteration was to re-inforce the leg structures and hip actuators so as to better cushion for impact when landing.

Equipment
At 85 tons the TDF prototype - TAU-1V Taurus incorporates a standard 340 engine that enables it to reach speeds of up to 64.8 Kph, along with 4 Rawlings class 54 Jumpjets (up to 120 meters of clearance!) ensures that the Taurus won't be out-maneuvered regardless of the terrain or theatre.
Equipped with newly 'aquired' double-heat sink technology, the Taurus uses 15 double heat sinks to stay cool with it's all energy load-out.
The Taurus also enjoys almost full armor protection with 13.5 tons of standard armor, and uses a lucrative endo-steel chassis allowing for maximum weight-savings.
Being a vanguard mech, the Taurus benefits from the inclusion of an advanced sensor array housed in the front center torso.

Later variants would utilize updated technology, resulting in an even more lethal platform that could adequately represent the people of the Taurian Concordant and protect their ideals.

Weapons
Due to weapon technology limitations within the TDF, the prototype's primary weapons are 2 Donal PPCs, one in each arm, and 1 Sunglow Type 2 Large Laser in each side torso, giving the Taurus a hard punch at long-range. It also has two small lasers located on the center torso for anti-infantry (later variants would switch the small lasers over to two flamers for the increased psychological affect, given the mech's bull-like visage).

Ok, that was for the lore-buffs... I hope it was ok. I'm not super-versed in BT timeline, but I tried to make it fit tech and story wise. Help me or let me know how if it would work. Thanks in advance!

Edited by Jackal Noble, 23 June 2019 - 06:24 PM.

#2 a rabid chihuahua

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 378 posts
  • Locationat top of jump arc ..and out of fuel!

Posted 19 June 2019 - 02:02 PM

wonder why baron wanted a bull? Looks viable and good either way.

#3 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 19 June 2019 - 05:31 PM

View Posta rabid chihuahua, on 19 June 2019 - 02:02 PM, said:

wonder why baron wanted a bull? Looks viable and good either way.

I got mixed up when writing the post. It was a 'minotaur' mech.
Edited for clarification.

#4 TheArisen

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,040 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 19 June 2019 - 07:41 PM

Looks pretty sexy man.

#5 FLG 01

• Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 04:08 PM

It is really a lovely design, both visually and from a story point of view! (I mean, seriously, I just saw the image and knew "Taurian Concordat!". You cannot do any better as an artist).

This Mech is perfectly Taurian, I just would put it in the Clan Invasion-era. From a strictly lore point of view, DHS were only available in the IS since 3040, and common since 3045. But you also have to keep in mind that 'simply' engineering a new Mech was a giant achievement in the SW-era.
When the Taurians got help from the Capellans, their industry boomed as well, so that provides a perfect background for such a Mech, especially as it fits the 50ies Periphery developments. Unlike the IS, they were far more cautious using SL-era Tech like DHS (but also far more efficiently, if you ask me; look at some of the atrocious refits the IS did at first). Again, this Mech makes some sense.

You could say the Taurians began designing that Mech when Steiner and Davion allied, but did not manage to actually produce it, and needed Capellan help to do so in the 50ies.

I hope you don't mind my blunt criticism, but I am sure you understand I am saying it because I like the design. Posted Image

PS: of course, a 85t Mech would use a 340 engine as per TT-rules, but that could easily be the reason why the project was delayed. Posted Image Adhering to TT-rules is not necessary anyway; there are so-called illegal designs in the lore.

Edited by FLG 01, 23 June 2019 - 06:21 AM.

#6 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:43 PM

View PostFLG 01, on 22 June 2019 - 04:08 PM, said:

It is really a lovely design, both visually and from a story point of view! (I mean, seriously, I just saw the image and knew "Taurian Concordat!". You cannot do any better as an artist).

This Mech is perfectly Taurian, I just would put it in the Clan Invasion-era. From a strictly lore point of view, DHS were only available in the IS since 3040, and common since 3045. But you also have to keep in mind that 'simply' engineering a new Mech was a giant achievement in the SW-era.
When the Taurians got help from the Capellans, their industry boomed as well, so that provides a perfect background for such a Mech, especially as it fits the 50ies Periphery developments. Unlike the IS, they were far more cautious using SL-era Tech like DHS (but also far more efficiently, if you ask me; look at some of the atrocious refits the IS did at first). Again, this Mech makes some sense.

You could say the Taurians began designing that Mech when Steiner and Davion allied, but did not manage to actually produce it, and needed Capellan help to do so in the 50ies.

I hope you don't mind my blunt criticism, but I am sure you understand I am saying it because I like the design. Posted Image

PS: of course, a 85t Mech would use a 340 engine as per TT-rules, but that could easily be the reason why the project was delayed. Posted Image Adhering to TT-rules is not necessary anyway; there are so-called illegal designs in the lore.

Thank you, that's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!
Ya I knew the DHS around 3030 was probably cutting it close and was fishing for a loophole.
I did not know that 340 rated engine is the bottom line for a 85 tonner - that is really interesting...
It looks like I will be doing some slight alterations here.

#7 Chaotic_Harmony

• PipPipPip
  • The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 55 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:08 PM

View PostJackal Noble, on 23 June 2019 - 04:43 PM, said:

Thank you, that's exactly the type of feedback I was looking for!
Ya I knew the DHS around 3030 was probably cutting it close and was fishing for a loophole.
I did not know that 340 rated engine is the bottom line for a 85 tonner - that is really interesting...
It looks like I will be doing some slight alterations here.

To build on what was previously said, your movement would be 4/6 in Tabletop, which means that you can only mount 4 Jumpjets as well as per TT rules of course.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 June 2019 - 05:10 PM

View PostChaotic_Harmony, on 23 June 2019 - 05:08 PM, said:

To build on what was previously said, your movement would be 4/6 in Tabletop, which means that you can only mount 4 Jumpjets as well as per TT rules of course.

Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

#9 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

I greatly appreciate the feedback guys.
I would like to make a variant that uses MASC/Fiber-Bundles and has Melee Horns/Drills or harpoons, and something crazy like 6 flamers and an LB20. Maybe a Solaris variant lol.
That or just one that has MASC - Hero - Carmine Incarnate / Red Flayer.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 23 June 2019 - 06:43 PM.

#10 Karl Streiger

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Wrath
  • Wrath
  • 20,369 posts
  • LocationBlack Dot in a Sea of Blue

Posted 25 June 2019 - 01:52 AM

Want some really experimental drive?
Go LFE - 255 (yes low base speed) but this allow you to add 5 improved Jump Jets, add MASC and a Super Charger this give you the speed of a TimberWolf.

I would drop the idea for the LBX (to big) but what about a HPPC with Capacitor - this gives you a 20 point shot at medium range. 3 ER-Flammers a Lance and Spikes for physical combat. Torso mounted cockpit, and compact gyro

However I don't think based on the original plans that it would be a good mod. The Taurus is a hard hitter from medium to close ranges. Maybe you could increase the envelope by upgrading the PPCs to ER and the Large Laser into LPLs.....possible with LFE and Light Ferro.

For the original design .... a really good looking design with one huge exception.... those puny dots should be Sunglow Type 2s - they already have castrated the Thunderbolt.... look at the new Thunderbolt, look at the Unseen Thunderbolt - THIS is a SUNGLOW TYPE 2

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users