26 replies to this topic

#1 RickySpanish

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 20 June 2019 - 07:55 PM

Holy cow this was amazing. We have 4/5 nodes capped. Our last player is capping the 5th node on Mining Collective. He then runs away and shuts down before making it blue... Enemy team have two 'Mechs alive. I convince him to go back to Kappa and cap, he does to a sliver of blue and then runs away again. I implore him to continue capping, since all we need is the points not for him to stay alive. Nope, runs away to try and cap another by now fully red node. We lose at 728 points. All he needed was to block Kappa for ten seconds. God almighty somebody get me a drink.

After losing the game, our star player laments about the [Redacted] game mode. My brain hurts.

Here's a screenshot from some random game I had this evening, totally unrelated to my rant above.

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 21 June 2019 - 01:49 AM.
unconstructive, inappropriate language, replies removed

#2 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 20 June 2019 - 08:45 PM

Maybe it is just me, but when I am playing on my T3 Smurf, people generally feel more competent and games more enjoyable than on this account.

I had a match today that was a bad stomp. 1:12 or something like that. I died with an embarrassing 230 damage to my name in a medium mech. When I saw the match result, I found out that was the 5th highest damage. Directly after that, I had quite a good game. 12:7, closely fought, enjoyable. When I saw the end screen, I realised that half our team had died with sub 150 damage. The only reason we won was because there were 2 Assaults doing around 1250 damage each. Wasn't me. I had a solid performance at 560 damage or so.

But I keep seeing this more and more.

#3 Battlemaster56

• Pack Leader
  • Pack Leader
  • 2,823 posts
  • LocationOn the not so distant moon on Endor

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:26 PM

Just reading that reminds me of players iin Battlefield who ingore objectives and focus on kda and basically dead weight in the end since the enemy team is playing the objective and actually getting good kda from doing said objective.

This and no revive medics make me generally distrusting of other players.

#4 GeminiWolf

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Howl
  • The Howl
  • 743 posts
  • LocationCalifornia

Posted 20 June 2019 - 10:51 PM

And that is why I don't play unless I absolutely positively have no other game to play.

#5 Nedolon

• PipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 21 posts
  • Locationgermany

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:17 AM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 20 June 2019 - 08:45 PM, said:

Maybe it is just me, but when I am playing on my T3 Smurf, people generally feel more competent and games more enjoyable than on this account.

I had a match today that was a bad stomp. 1:12 or something like that. I died with an embarrassing 230 damage to my name in a medium mech. When I saw the match result, I found out that was the 5th highest damage. Directly after that, I had quite a good game. 12:7, closely fought, enjoyable. When I saw the end screen, I realised that half our team had died with sub 150 damage. The only reason we won was because there were 2 Assaults doing around 1250 damage each. Wasn't me. I had a solid performance at 560 damage or so.

But I keep seeing this more and more.

I guess, it's not, that ppl don't know what to do, it's more about who you are facing.
Tier 3: You poke around a corner and face 4 mechs that shoot at you and hit everything,... Arms, legs, Torso, walls, ground ....

Tier 1: You poke around a corner facing 3 mechs that shoot at you and when you are lucky, you gat away with only a cherry red CT.

When both sides have good players, both sides deal less damage and the chance, that even good players get shot out without contributing much is way higher.

Edited by Nedolon, 21 June 2019 - 12:18 AM.

#6 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:04 AM

Here is my ultimate Potato story.

Group quick play match on Canyon Network. The game devolves into a typical Canyon NASCAR except the enemy team has large team of Vapor Eagles making the enemy much faster and still loaded with enough firepower to be a problem.

So I notice my team is rotating in a staggered line (easy pickins for the enemy team) so I suggest that our team should stop rotating and face the enemy and fight instead of chasing mechs we can't catch while our tail is getting shredded by mechs that can catch us.

Some potato replies to my suggestion to stop running and fight (at a specified point even) and I quote...

"No you <expletive deleted> they are faster than us!"

So if I can attempt to grasp why I was such an <expletive deleted> was I suggested not running away from mechs faster than us and instead hold ground and fight (removing the speed advantage and playing to our firepower and armor advantage)

I had no idea that when you are getting chased down by faster enemy mechs and your team is strung out in a disorderly formation that the only obvious thing to do if you are a true tactical giant and not a simple minded <expletive deleted> like me was the KEEP DOING WHAT IS FAILING!

I can't even imagine what thought process it took to think that I was wrong while getting run down and shredded was a better choice.

End score was 12/2 loss with the two kills on our board being from my team of two players because the two of us cut across theta and stood and fought instead of getting our butts nibbled off running away from an enemy we couldn't outrun.

#7 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:16 AM

I am going to stop playing for today. I need to cool off. I am 0:8 today and while I have contributed to a few of those losses by playing unskilled Light Mechs (which are my worst class by a good margin), I am getting tired of losing 2-4 Mechs before I have even gotten into range of the enemy... I still do not know how people manage that.

I, too, have been one shotted from behind or by a lucky headshot, but this is ridiculous.

#8 Flyby215

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Devoted
  • The Devoted
  • 888 posts
  • LocationThunder Bay

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:57 AM

Don't weep for the stupid, you'll be crying all day.

Or uhh, don't get mad for the stupid, you'll be raging all day.

I'm probably butchering the actual quote, which I'm too lazy to look up Posted Image

#9 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:45 AM

What got me was all this guy had to do was nothing at all, had he stood on the cap we would have won and he probably wouldn't have died, since it took the surviving enemy players a couple of minutes to kill my ammo dry, XL engine, legged Dervish. But instead he throws the game in the most epic possible way despite constant (and largely calm!) advice. *Then* he complains about the game mode. Argh!

#10 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:19 AM

You made the choices to play QP, got what you deserved

#11 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:03 AM

View PostNightbird, on 21 June 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

sad but true;
the only way to have a good game (in the actual sense) in QP is to just refuse to play it.

#12 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:13 AM

View PostNightbird, on 21 June 2019 - 07:19 AM, said:

It's not usually that bad, but this was bad. Really, really bad.

#13 FireStoat

• The Tracker
  • The Tracker
  • 1,053 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:39 AM

View PostGeminiWolf, on 20 June 2019 - 10:51 PM, said:

And that is why I don't play unless I absolutely positively have no other game to play.

I've finally moved on as well. The constant nascar when there's absolutely no sense in doing so (looking at you, Canyon Network) and the constant feeling of despair watching players at the end of the match shooting the sky, the ground, anything BUT the slow moving enemy that has a torso blown off... Just the complete lack of aim or skill coming from experience bar Tier 1 players... I'm done.

Riot games just came out with something new that has my attention, and there's numerous other summer / early fall offerings in the works. I might consider this game again when the matchmaker actually means something.

#14 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,772 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:58 AM

simple solution to this problem. dont count losses towards personal stats. you lost, your performacne is irrelevant.

#15 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:20 PM

Dunno, I died in a match having done 0, yup, nada damage, so I claim the title of Potato Ultima!

#16 Phoenix 72

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 696 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

View PostCFC Conky, on 21 June 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Dunno, I died in a match having done 0, yup, nada damage, so I claim the title of Potato Ultima!

How did you manage that? I think the lowest I ever did was 19 damage or so on a Light Mech that was one shotted by double Heavy Gauss that I never even saw...

#17 CFC Conky

• Fire
  • Fire
  • 1,760 posts
  • LocationThe PSR basement.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:08 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 21 June 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

How did you manage that? I think the lowest I ever did was 19 damage or so on a Light Mech that was one shotted by double Heavy Gauss that I never even saw...

Tourmaline in an unskilled Dervish. I went to help an isolated teammate (assault mech) under attack by a single enemy and ran smack into 5-6 enemy mechs on my right flank. They made short work of my mech...Posted Image

Good hunting,
CFC Conky

Edited by CFC Conky, 21 June 2019 - 01:13 PM.

#18 InfinityBall

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Elite Founder
  • Elite Founder
  • 405 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

View PostDarakor Stormwind, on 21 June 2019 - 12:49 PM, said:

I've done it by peeking over the wrong hill in Polar and finding the entire enemy team on the other side.

#19 Ilfi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 576 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:04 AM

Love how even the most milquetoast "Why is the average MechDad so bad at video games?" post ends up censored and heavily redacted. It's not the only reason why you don't often see constructive criticism on this forum, but it's one of the major ones. Neither the company or the community can handle being called out here.

Hopefully this changes when MW5 turns the focus from PvP to co-op.

#20 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,870 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:42 AM

View PostCFC Conky, on 21 June 2019 - 12:20 PM, said:

Hah! I died doing 0 damage to the enemies but a whopping 140'ish team damage using an Air Strike on Mining. Bow before your Potato Lord!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users