Most Broken Mech Yet

24 replies to this topic

#1 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 01:41 PM

So today we saw A IV-4 @ 9% health... that was still carrying a mrm 40 with ammo....

IDK but that might be the first time ive seen a single digit health (or at least as i can remember)

amazing pgi math...

60 ton mech with 2 mrm 40's *one destroyed @ 9% health...

can someone crunch the numbers for us? Id like to be able to understand that logically

was missing a leg
was missing a arm

Edited by Burning2nd, 21 June 2019 - 01:52 PM.

#2 Davegt27

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 6,970 posts
  • LocationCO

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:25 PM

no one knows what PGI is doing

but by weight

IV4 weighs 65 ton

MRM 30 weighs10 tons
MRM 10 weighs 3 tons
MRM 20 weighs 7 tons
MRM 40 weighs 12

65 tons - 91% =

or they could base everything on area

so it depends what they mean by 9%

#3 Kubernetes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 02:36 PM

I've survived with less than 10%. It means all armor stripped and several components blown off. I assumed the percentage dealt with hit points. Add up all armor and structure value. Not sure if HS and weapon health figure into it. In theory you could survive with 3 HP (1 head, 1 CT, 1 leg), which would be less than 1% on most mechs.

#4 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:11 PM

It depends on how much armor,structure and hp each part of the mech has. I've had my catapults go low double digits such as 19% and less just never down to single digit.

https://imgur.com/gallery/K4vS0cu

#5 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 03:30 PM

I think I've gotten a marIIC down to 6% (more than 1 year ago I guess) on forest colony in an FP-match.

standard-engine, no arms, no STs, 1 leg, armor left on the head and not much structure holding the rest together. it was quite hilarious and my highlight of that game. no idea if we won or lost, if I did good or bad - but I remember those percents^^

how pgi calculates those percentages is beyond me, though. yes, it gives you a rough idea where that mech is at, but: you can have a perfectly fine hbk at 80%, with it's ONE weapon already critted out - and/or similar things.
not critisizing, as the system works as a "guesstimate", just stating that those numbers don't mean that much in this game - as many other numbers don't, too. Posted Image

Edited by Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, 21 June 2019 - 03:30 PM.

#6 UnofficialOperator

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,493 posts
  • LocationIn your head

Posted 21 June 2019 - 04:06 PM

SMH literally unplayable /s

#7 Gen Lee

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 232 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 05:01 PM

I've finished a match with only 8% left of my MAD 3R. Pretty sure I was running dual LB10X and 4 Med Lasers with STD 300. Once stripped, I tanked damage and ran interference for teammate at end of match, even rammed the enemy a couple times, lol. I have no idea how I didn't die, but that mech is tanky as hell with max Survival skill tree. I was taking fire the whole match, but spread due to others' bad aim and/or my twisting.

Think I even got a few achievements for that match

#8 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:23 PM

I've gotten down to single digits before death in my deadside MAD-3R and my Yen-Lo-Wang, with weapons remaining- not every game or even every ten games, but often enough that those are two of my go-to 'Mechs when I'm having a bad night. My personal best was 5% health in a CRB-27 (it was an extremely satisfying last-man-alive multikill clutch win, and I still wish I'd been able to record it).

It's part luck of the draw (you have RNGeezus' favor with crit rolls on your surviving weapons- much harder since MGs are much more common than they used to be). Always take the reinforced casing survival nodes if you really want to max out your chances on crit rolls; it's a small boost, but every little bit could save you from that one "golden BB" that turns you into a stick. It is pretty much all dumb luck to still have any functioning weapons at single-digit health if all of your equipment-containing components are open. Kinda like winning the lottery, but instead of money you get to not have all your stuff blown up.

It's also partly in good damage spreading- maintaining armor on your vitals and at least some weapons as long as possible. This is down to practice much more than luck, and a good working knowledge of your hitboxes and armor/structure values so that you're always putting your strongest remaining component (or your least important one) where it needs to be to tank the most damage.

...and at least part of it is down to the 'Mech and variant. Armor and structure quirks mean that some 'Mechs have a higher percentage of their total HP allocated to their torso vs their extremities. 'Mechs with quirks spread across all components, and 'Mechs with larger HP boosts in their extremities than in their core, are much easier to get down to single-digit health than 'Mechs with gobs of extra torso armor but nothing else.

Also, a 'Mech running LFE or C-XL actually only has 1 HP less to spend than a 'Mech running a STD engine- the last HP required to pop its second side torso. So, it's not significantly harder to keep a LFE/C-XL 'Mech alive to single digits than it is to do so with a STD engine, provided the hitboxes are good and you spread damage well.

#9 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 06:34 PM

i dont get the iv4. you can get 2 mrm40s on a griffon with ecm.
GRF-2N
if you drop to mrm30s you can swing stealth armor.
GRF-2N

Edited by LordNothing, 21 June 2019 - 06:35 PM.

#10 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:04 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 21 June 2019 - 06:34 PM, said:

i dont get the iv4. you can get 2 mrm40s on a griffon with ecm.
GRF-2N
if you drop to mrm30s you can swing stealth armor.
GRF-2N

you also lose out on armor, agility, heatsinks, and 20% missile cooldown.

#11 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

View Postcougurt, on 21 June 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

note to self, look at quirks more.

still the griffon is a fun as hell build. its like the iv4 except you can sneak up on people.

Edited by LordNothing, 21 June 2019 - 07:23 PM.

#12 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 21 June 2019 - 07:29 PM

3%, it's just a flesh wound. I lived till the end too, with 2 ERLL still shooting.
Posted Image

#13 BackShot

• PipPipPip
  • Littlest Helper
  • Littlest Helper
  • 87 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:24 PM

I think the percentage is just the total of armor and structure points.
So you can be at, lets say 85 %, and be one touch from death if you took all damage in the CT, and you can be at 85 % with your paint scratched all over your mech.
This is just an overview on the global health of a mech, but nothing is more accurate than the colored parts of this mech on the hud.

#14 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:42 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 21 June 2019 - 01:41 PM, said:

So today we saw A IV-4 @ 9% health... that was still carrying a mrm 40 with ammo....

Yeah because
  • I can torso twist.
  • I used cover effectively.
  • I used the dead components to reduce incoming damage.
  • I was against a LRM boat while on River City and I was using the buildings so taking minimal incoming dmg as possible.
  • I crit pad equipment.
I was missing 2 arms, 1 torso, 1 leg. Other leg was open/orange, torso was orange and no armour except for the head. It's simple hitpoint pool - There was 10% of it left, which there was.

Posted Image

What it is called is top level play/skill. There is no math error. Just an understanding error, now you know.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 June 2019 - 10:53 PM.

#15 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:52 PM

View Postcougurt, on 21 June 2019 - 07:04 PM, said:

And no JJs either and only 4T ammo, need at least 6 for QP.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 21 June 2019 - 10:52 PM.

#16 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:58 PM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 21 June 2019 - 10:52 PM, said:

And no JJs either and only 4T ammo, need at least 6 for QP.

https://mech.nav-alp...7501a3e2_GRF-2N

i'd probably do something more like this, but yeah, the IV4 wins either way. the combination of offensive and defensive quirks along with excellent agility just can't be beat.

#17 Burning2nd

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 984 posts

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:59 PM

Wow.... someone is a little sensitive, Its ironic that you u2 should be the reply'ers to this thread...

I rest my case

gg never the less.... was ashamed you lost

#18 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:21 AM

I'm mad because I watched someone soak damage better than I can.

#19 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:25 AM

View PostBurning2nd, on 21 June 2019 - 11:59 PM, said:

Wow.... someone is a little sensitive, Its ironic that you u2 should be the reply'ers to this thread...

I rest my case

Ok so you made two claims, both of the grossly incorrect.
  • The IV is a "broken" mech.
  • There is an issue with the way MWO was calculating mech health percentages.
At what point have you rested your case exactly?

I rested your case with evidence and I'm apparently sensitive... And now you're once again trying to deflect the conversation in another direction.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 June 2019 - 12:26 AM.

#20 WrathOfDeadguy

• The Pest
  • The Pest
  • 1,951 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:32 AM

...but don't you know? It has to be OP! That's the only way it could've happened.

Because admitting error is unthinkable. This is the internet, after all. Posted Image

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users