13 replies to this topic

#1 FRAGTAST1C

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 21 June 2019 - 08:59 PM

Currently running 3 ATM 9s on my unskilled Pakhet and it's good enough already. I tried the dual ATM 12 on my Veagle before I bought the Pakhet and that was good as well. The thing is, the Pakhet hasn't got many slots to work with but quite a bit of tonnage. I'm leaning towards keeping it at 3 ATM 9 and a Light Tag and then trying SRMs but is there a benefit to using 2 ATM 12s on the Pakhet and running some heavier laser weapons?

#2 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 21 June 2019 - 10:54 PM

Ideally you want the higher alpha, less exposure vs dmg.

#3 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:01 PM

Well, both are really at the low-end of what you could do when you're doing ATM-Poptarting.

Ideally you could literally pull off 2x ATM9 + ATM12, or 2x ATM12 + ATM9, even at a powerful 3x ATM12, these are Veagle builds too. 2x ATM12 is just rather conservative, you should strive 3x ATM9 at a minimum, and that is just because the Huntsman is a 50-tonner, you could even do so with the HBK-IIC-B.

But if you're running Pakhet, you're probably better off with 8x SRM6 for maximum brawl, cause it's one of the things it does best.

#4 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 21 June 2019 - 11:39 PM

I do ATM24 + 3 MPL on the VGL-1 because I like being able to hurt people who get within 120 meters.

#5 LT. HARDCASE

• The Spear
  • The Spear
  • 2,706 posts
  • LocationDark Space

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:24 AM

2x ATM12 + ATM 9 sounds better, if you aren't caring about backup lasers..

Edited by LT. HARDCASE, 22 June 2019 - 05:25 AM.

#6 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:36 AM

View PostFupDup, on 21 June 2019 - 11:39 PM, said:

I do ATM24 + 3 MPL on the VGL-1 because I like being able to hurt people who get within 120 meters.

Well, ATM24 isn't exactly that big, yet it is exactly that hot, considering your weight allotment. The ATMs are kind of rather hot, and you'd need to allot most of your heat for it, but then you add lasers for it, which would take away from the much needed heat for the ATMs.

Don't get me wrong, constant sustained DPS is one thing, but if you're poptarting, chances are you're in control of your distance, and you're maximizing your damage at a minimum amount of exposure, and mere ATM24 isn't exactly that great with it. If you wanted back up, ERSL are exactly for that role.

#7 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:55 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 22 June 2019 - 05:36 AM, said:

Well, ATM24 isn't exactly that big, yet it is exactly that hot, considering your weight allotment.
If you wanted back up, ERSL are exactly for that role.

That's exactly my issue. I started using ATMs only recently 'cause of the last event that required the use of ATMs and I found them interesting. I had never used them before and I want to practise with it. But I've noticed that my Veagle, primarily skilled for 3x ERPPC, but now just loaded with ATM 24, suffers less heat issues with continuous use as well as with ERMLs than the 3x ATM 9 Pakhet with ERSLs. It's probably 'cause I jump a lot and don't let the mech cool down much and also, it being not fully skilled in the right areas yet.

I think I'll stick with ATM 27 for now on the Pakhet and see if I want to increase the missile count or go with SRMs later.

#8 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2019 - 05:56 AM

If you're going to ATM - Do it like this PAKHET

If you find you run outta ammo, drop a DHS. While point of ATM is to dump as much damage with the least amount of exposure as possible.

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 June 2019 - 05:57 AM.

#9 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,869 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:00 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 June 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

That's basically my build at the moment except I have one less DHS and use 2 ERSL. I was debating whether to drop down to 2 ATM12s or keep with 3 ATM9s 'cause of the heat build up that I'm getting. I guess I'll drop the ERSLs instead.

#10 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:15 AM

Yeah I cannot see ERSL being useful over a DHS which, with max operations (coolrun nodes) will make more of a difference.

#11 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:45 AM

IMO the lasers are a dead weight, I have never been able to make lasers work well on any ATM build, it's always been my preference to just optimise those missiles with more heat sinks, ammo or an extra jump jet. One other thing that's nice without lasers is that jump jet shake is less of a problem, as you can quite easily lock on to someone in flight and fire. With that said, I do run small lasers with my streaks, they're good for sawing off legs on Light 'Mechs that are asking for it.

#12 Verilligo

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 789 posts
  • LocationPodunk, U.S.A.

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

View Postjustcallme A S H, on 22 June 2019 - 05:56 AM, said:

If you find you run outta ammo, drop a DHS. While point of ATM is to dump as much damage with the least amount of exposure as possible.

Honest question, is it not worth it to take either type of active probe on a build such as this? Does the min range make both of them relatively pointless?

#13 justcallme A S H

• CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2019 - 09:39 AM

View PostVerilligo, on 22 June 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

Honest question, is it not worth it to take either type of active probe on a build such as this? Does the min range make both of them relatively pointless?

Yeah exactly that.

You can put a light active probe I guess but it's kinda pointless. L-Tag is enough even if it's somewhat useless as well, but it helps in more situations and also the team too. TAG bonuses earn ok cbills / points too :)

Edited by justcallme A S H, 22 June 2019 - 09:39 AM.

#14 Warning incoming Humble Dexterer

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bridesmaid
  • 1,077 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:50 PM

You take 2xATM12 if you can't take the better 3xATM9.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users