Dervish Review

9 replies to this topic

#1 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 203 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:23 PM

Well, after extended play in the Dervish, I feel confident in this evaluation.

Durability:

Fragile...Huge blocky hit boxes and slow torso mobility...ie. bad. The mech's s silhouette is very large from all vantages such that weak components may be targeted from all angles.

Mobility:

Very slow for a medium. Handles very sluggishly for a medium of its weight.

Firepower:

Moderate to okay...Most variants deploy half or more of their hardpoints in very large, fragile arms. Given that you pretty much have to run XL to mount any firepower, you have to shield with your arms and that leads to a quick loss of significant amounts of your only moderate firepower.

Verdict:

This mech has nothing to offer any buyer. The Griffin, wolverine, and trebuchet all offer the same role with increased mobility, and durability.

#2 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:43 PM

its agility is nearly best in class. it's better than a number of 40-50 tonners, and the only other 55 tonners with superior agility are the wolverine and black lanner.

#3 FLG 01

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Leutnant
  • Leutnant
  • 2,646 posts

Posted 22 June 2019 - 12:50 PM

View PostSlambot, on 22 June 2019 - 12:23 PM, said:

Mobility:

Very slow for a medium. Handles very sluggishly for a medium of its weight.

The Dervish can mount a 360 engine, that is more than enough and certainly not "very slow for a medium".

And its agility is actually better than most 55t Mechs. Just take a look at the accelleration:
  • BKL: 52.32
  • WVR: 52.32
  • DV: 43.08 (FR: 47.71)
  • KTO: 38.48
  • SCR: 38.48
  • VGL: 33.87
  • SHD: 31.56
  • GRF: 29.26-36.17
  • BSW: 26.95 (X2: 33.87)

I also don't think it is a very good Mech but let us stick to the facts. The Dervish is neither slow nor sluggish for a 55t Mech.

#4 Ruccus

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Bloodlust
  • The Bloodlust
  • 1,136 posts
  • LocationAbbotsford, BC

Posted 22 June 2019 - 03:13 PM

I actually really like the Dervish to the point that after playing the base Collector Pack that I pre-ordered I decided to get the Frenzy, and after having fun in the Frenzy I decided to get the re-inforcements. Haven't played the 6Mr or 7P yet though, as I'm starting my work week so Tuesday will be my first day where I can devote a long gaming session. I am a fan of medium mechs though (the Jarl's list says 43% of my matches have been in mediums and that doesn't even count the early days where the Blackjack BJ-1 was my weapon of choice).

One counterintuitive thing I'd suggest with the Dervish is to keep the missile bay doors closed and either counterpunch or use the arm weapons for snapshotting. Historically I've opened the missile bay doors on most of my mechs at the start of the match, but for the Dervish I've found keeping them closed and using the 20% damage reduction for durability as well as the opening delay to prevent ghost heat on an alpha strike works well especially on SRM based builds where you're likely going to take hits before you get in range.

Also, on the DV-8D and Frenzy fill all four torso missile hardpoints - it looks so cool when the missile bay doors open (it's different than if you just have one missile weapon in each torso).

#5 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 22 June 2019 - 06:16 PM

I've only played the Frenzy, but your review is the exact opposite of my experience OP. It's durable and XL friendly. The torsos do stick out a little when looking at the side profile, but wiggling your arms helps to protect them. The Frenzy has wicked agility, and packs a hefty punch. It can carry everything you need and more at a respectable speed which tends to be right in line with other 55 tonners in that that weight limit seems to be right in the sweet spot for the game.

#6 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 22 June 2019 - 07:30 PM

I have absolutely no clue where the mobilty is slow for a 55T mech comes from, its a tonne better than most of them as pointed out already... Odd claim that one, what do people base these statements on??? Posted Image

Anyway - My opinion - most of them are great. I didn't know what to expect coming into it, 3 games I was sold on most of them.

Hero - Awesome. SRM86 or SRM106, go ham on thy enemy for a 55T mech.
6M / 7P - awesome. The missile spread quirk is delicious. You can actually kill stuff with MRM60 rather than just sandblasting dmg ay anything over 100m. 7P gets additonal arm structure so even more tanking possible.
6MR - Decent. 6MPL and RL10s for the torso dmg reduction. Big engine and all the DHS with 2 JJs. You can also be a filthy LRMboat and 2LRM20 it. The cooldown on it is sweet with -15% before skillmaze.

8D - OK. 4xSRM6A is same as a Griffin basically. The Derv has mobilty but worse hardpoints, does gain door bonus but thats subjective. I'd say the Griffin is better here unless this variant gets a little more quirk love.
7D - Oddball. Hardpoints aren't great and for the ones it has all the other variants do it better. Overall it needs better quirks to make it viable.

It's a decent 55T with great mobilty which many 50-55T mechs lack. It can spread damage very well.

So yeah, if you were thinking about a splurge on a last mechpack. You will get a great value out of it is you like missile Meds.

#7 Slambot

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Warden
  • The Warden
  • 203 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:01 AM

Perhaps its just new mech blues... ff from everyone on a new mech... dunno, i have had some good games. It just seems to handle like a pig. I will try some different builds. Not afraid to admit I may be wrong but it just seems that the accel/decel seem to be a bit more akin to a heavy.

#8 Tordin

• The Wolf
  • The Wolf
  • 2,937 posts
  • LocationNordic Union

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:40 PM

I find it tough... But that might because I do keep my bay doors be as much shut as possible for that 20% extra armor buff.. Oh and because of its agility.

#9 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,510 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:02 PM

View PostTordin, on 23 June 2019 - 01:40 PM, said:

I find it tough... But that might because I do keep my bay doors be as much shut as possible for that 20% extra armor buff.. Oh and because of its agility.

The number of times I missed a good alpha strike because those doors were closed has caused me to just prefer them open umless I'm performing a brave Sir Robin. Even more annoyingly, the doors behaviour is weird and delayed, after firing with them you must wait for them to auto close before you can force them open.

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,776 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:26 PM

but does it whirl?

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users