I Love Tier 5...

38 replies to this topic

#21 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:14 PM

Group queue actually tends to lower average match score.

Separating them wouldn't do anything except create two rankings that are still going to be more or less the same.

IE, your performance in one is still usually indicative of your performance elsewhere.

#22 thievingmagpi

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,577 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

View PostBurning2nd, on 23 June 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

DING DING DING....

jarls list is more broken then pgi.. Bad math on bad math.. then 3rd person's bad math from bad math..

lol

the stats dont mean **** in this game.. They are broken.. you have a lot of variables with a lot of loose ends

the people who play/exploit the bad math are on top... They die just like the rest: there are a few players who bring A game all the time.. BUT they are often rude and make the game less desirable

the whole psr thing should just be removed.. there should be no segregation at all.. and nothing but solo drop should count: the math changes a lot when the game is used in group

Posted Image

#23 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 671 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:26 PM

DING DING DING....

jarls list is more broken then pgi.. Bad math on bad math.. then 3rd person's bad math from bad math..

lol

the stats dont mean **** in this game.. They are broken.. you have a lot of variables with a lot of loose ends

the people who play/exploit the bad math are on top... They die just like the rest: there are a few players who bring A game all the time.. BUT they are often rude and make the game less desirable

the whole psr thing should just be removed.. there should be no segregation at all.. and nothing but solo drop should count: the math changes a lot when the game is used in group

there's no "bad math" involved, it's you misunderstanding something very simple and making excuses.

#24 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:55 PM

the best thing about T5 smurfing is teams don't die instantly and they generally last longer than 5 minutes

#25 VitriolicViolet

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Corsair
  • The Corsair
  • 592 posts
  • LocationAustralia, Melbourne

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:31 PM

Ancient screenshots? just how long has it been since that font was used in this game?

Anyway its hilarious for people to claim that tier 1 is full of 'meta tryhards'

Im not even that good at this game and i recently worked out im averaging 300 damage a game in a Katana Kat, every match there are assault pilots who do worse than i do and they weigh over twice my weight. im using 3 MLs and a Snubnose on what is supposedly one of the worst lights, which is the worst class.

Personally the only difference ive noticed between tiers 3 and 1 is that i no longer see people just kinda walking into walls. other than that not much, pilots at least know how to walk and look around at the same time.

Tier 2 to 1 was no difference at all.

#26 Kamikaze Viking

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 383 posts
  • LocationStay on Topic... STAY ON TOPIC!!!

Posted 23 June 2019 - 04:40 PM

Did someone mention fixing PSR?

View PostTarl Cabot, on 23 June 2019 - 12:40 PM, said:

Regardless of the MM, not everyone would be be happy with it. Imho though, MM/PSR needs some major adjustments, in both advancement up the tiers and adding at least one more stat to the MM selection, average MS over X-amount of games.

from a year ago https://www.reddit.c..._response_from/

Change the existing system, this
Posted Image
to a zero-sum team-ranked system like this

Posted Image

Normalize all player ratings. Think of this as basically a half-reset. Instead of moving everyone back to the middle, you move them halfway back. If maxed T1 is 5000 and min T5 is 0, move people at the ends to 3750 and 1250 instead of moving everyone to the center, 2500. This lets the ranking system take effect more quickly and doesn't piss anyone off too much.

Repeat normalization every 3 months or yearly as needed.
That it All, nothing more needs be done. Everyone always comes up with Overly complex solutions.

Edited by Kamikaze Viking, 23 June 2019 - 04:41 PM.

#27 HGAK47

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 971 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:03 PM

I dunno about the balance. Since ive been playing again the matches, while not great for balance have been on average more like 5/12 6/12 7/12 on the losses front. Very rare to see a 0/12 loss at the minute ive found. I recall them being way more one sided and prevalent in the past. Could just be luck I guess?

#28 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,778 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:14 PM

never been to t5. this is why my kdr is still < 1. they started me in 3 and i still managed to shoot up in short order.

also i dont think its a good idea to use what pgi thinks a player should be able to do should be the deciding factor in tier placement. you need to look at community averages and see how you did in relation to other active players and adjust psr proportionally in both directions.

Edited by LordNothing, 23 June 2019 - 06:19 PM.

#29 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:23 PM

DING DING DING.... jarls list is more broken then pgi.. Bad math on bad math.. then 3rd person's bad math from bad math.. lol the stats dont mean **** in this game.. They are broken.. you have a lot of variables with a lot of loose ends the people who play/exploit the bad math are on top... They die just like the rest: there are a few players who bring A game all the time.. BUT they are often rude and make the game less desirable the whole psr thing should just be removed.. there should be no segregation at all.. and nothing but solo drop should count: the math changes a lot when the game is used in group

HERESY!!! BURN HIM!!! HE DARED CRITICISE THE ALMIGHTY STATS!!!

#30 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:26 PM

^Another low ranked player that doesn't understand how numbers work.

#31 Bowelhacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Marik
  • Hero of Marik
  • 922 posts
  • LocationKooken's Pleasure Pit

Posted 23 June 2019 - 11:09 PM

The way some people in these parts fetishise the stats you'd think they were produced by Beyonce's arse.

#32 slide

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,768 posts
  • LocationKersbrook South Australia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:00 AM

@OP

I did this a year and a half ago when I started up a clan only Alt account. The reason it is fun is because even a medicore player is so much better that a new player.

You can't forget how to shoot or steer and even if you take crap builds you still know how to pilot them better than the new players. It is a distinctly unfair advantage. I don't consider myself particularly good at MWO but I am still way better that new players. The other advantage is you also know what mechs to buy and how to level them up, meaning you advance much better that those other T5's. You spend your Cbills much more wisely.

I stayed in T5 for precisely 2 matches. I was in T4 for less than a week and I scored my 1 and only ace of spades (Using a Cheeta I think) in that time. In 3 months I was knocking on the door of T1, something I have yet to do on this account after 6 years of playing, I guess sample size and purchasing a lot of bad mechs in packs has a lot to do with PSR too.

The other reasons the game is fun is because you don't die as quick when you make a mistake, people don't shoot as well, the builds aren't as lethal, the ruthlessness at higher levels isn't there either. Even so anyone starting a new account still has an unfair advantage just because they know how the game works.

#33 FRAGTAST1C

• The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 2,872 posts
  • LocationIndia

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:39 AM

View Postslide, on 24 June 2019 - 12:00 AM, said:

@OP

I did this a year and a half ago when I started up a clan only Alt account. The reason it is fun is because even a medicore player is so much better that a new player.

I think the reasons why Darakor mentioned he likes T5 are different to what you mined from his post. I don't have an alt account but I have played MWO since November last year and I took a couple of months off at the turn of 2019 and only started playing regularly again since a couple of months or so ago. I can say that I remember being T5 better than most. Upto T3, the matches are enjoyable 'cause people use comms. more actively, they don't NASCAR every match and generally want to face the enemies head-on. They also crack a joke or two and don't trash talk as often as I've witnessed now since moving to T2 especially.

If you ignore the personal skill aside, then you'd have to admit that the matches in T5 upto T3 are vastly better 'cause of the above mentioned reasons rather than we doing better.

#34 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:40 AM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 June 2019 - 02:55 PM, said:

the best thing about T5 smurfing is teams don't die instantly and they generally last longer than 5 minutes

If you mean "we end up spending the last 5 minutes of each match watching the other team chase down our last ecm sniper/lrm boat/light that thinks he can win"....then, yes, they last more than 5 minutes.

#35 CygnusX7

• 1,803 posts
  • LocationA desolate moon circling a desolate planet

Posted 24 June 2019 - 05:52 AM

Tier 5. Where mechs stand around looking at their feet.

#36 RickySpanish

• Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 3,511 posts
  • LocationWubbing your comrades

Posted 24 June 2019 - 08:00 AM

I made a T5 smurf for a laugh and the biggest difference was newer players freely admitted to being inexperienced, whereas on this account experienced players will straight up bark stupid orders or suggestions and make it seem as if they know what's up, but actually they have no clue. Also the speed of Nascar increases.

#37 Lanisu

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 11:26 AM

i like smurf account because it lets me run mechs that i think are cool but just arent that good in the meta and still do decently.

I think the mauler with 2 ppcs in the arms and big missile racks on the shoulders just looks so bad *** and iconic but the viable maulers all have useless empty stumps for arms, no shoulders missile racks and lots of nipple ballistics =(

#38 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:21 PM

View PostBowelhacker, on 23 June 2019 - 11:09 PM, said:

The way some people in these parts fetishise the stats you'd think they were produced by Beyonce's arse.

You can continue to deny the relationship between w/l, k/d and AMS until you're blue in the face. Although they don't paint a perfect picture of how well someone plays, they more than inform how skilled someone is on average.

Low ranking doesn't even have to mean "bad." It does in this game because most of the current userbase is dead set against playing to win or improving themselves.

The only people here with a fetish are the 5 people who disagree with a computer telling them they're bad at something and refuse to make basic objective observations to improve.

Edited by Prototelis, 26 June 2019 - 12:30 PM.

#39 John Bronco

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Fighter
  • The Fighter
  • 966 posts

Posted 26 June 2019 - 12:28 PM

View PostLanisu, on 26 June 2019 - 11:26 AM, said:

i like smurf account because it lets me run mechs that i think are cool but just arent that good in the meta and still do decently.

I think the mauler with 2 ppcs in the arms and big missile racks on the shoulders just looks so bad *** and iconic but the viable maulers all have useless empty stumps for arms, no shoulders missile racks and lots of nipple ballistics =(

https://mech.nav-alp...5c34b397_MAL-KO

Thats as close as you can get for something viable that resembles the MW2 Mercs cover art.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users