Advice For Getting A Friend Into The Game?

25 replies to this topic

#1 o0m9

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:50 AM

Want to game some with a friend from work so I'm trying to get him into MWO so I can have a drop buddy. Anyone have any tips on how I can make the learning curve manageable for him so he doesn't immediately burn out? Ideally I'd like to walk him through as much as possible in the game rather than through videos/forum posts but I dont feel like that could really be accomplished well in QP.

Anyone have any advice? Or maybe some resources I could take a look at that might be helpful?

#2 Teenage Mutant Ninja Urbie

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • The Tip of the Spear
  • 1,678 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:53 AM

use a private lobby to explain and train things.

he should be fine on his own in QP after that (after all - t5), but keep him off gp/fw/s7 for the first week(s); great people there, but getting nuked by them might not be the most positive of experiences for beginners ;)

#3 o0m9

• PipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • 78 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:05 AM

View PostTeenage Mutant Ninja Urbie, on 23 June 2019 - 07:53 AM, said:

use a private lobby to explain and train things.

Well, I feel a little dumb. For some reason I was under the impression that you couldn't host a private lobby in MWO but I don't actually remember why I thought that. That makes things a lot simpler, thanks.

Edited by o0m9, 23 June 2019 - 08:06 AM.

#4 Spheroid

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Veteran Founder
  • Veteran Founder
  • 5,060 posts
  • LocationSouthern Wisconsin

Posted 23 June 2019 - 08:35 AM

My advice is not to even waste your time. The "buddy" game is MW5 against braindead A.I., not MWO.

If you want social interaction join an existing unit and make new friends. There is no place for duos.

Edited by Spheroid, 23 June 2019 - 09:35 AM.

#5 Mochyn Pupur

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Patron Saint
  • The Patron Saint
  • 521 posts
  • LocationDerby, England

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:36 AM

If you are their friend - find another game.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 09:38 AM

pick a different game, learning too high and MM is bonkers

#7 MadcatX

• Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 1,026 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:41 AM

View Posto0m9, on 23 June 2019 - 07:50 AM, said:

Anyone have any advice? Or maybe some resources I could take a look at that might be helpful?

Wish I had something constructive, but MW:O is one of those rare gems of a game where if you want to bring 1 friend in he either:

1) Needs to spend some time in the solo queue first for a bit to get a good grasp on the basics.
2) Hope your friend is fine joining a unit... if you're in a unit... and that unit is fine with dropping with a completely new player.

Multiplayer done right!

#8 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 12:10 PM

View Posto0m9, on 23 June 2019 - 08:05 AM, said:

Well, I feel a little dumb. For some reason I was under the impression that you couldn't host a private lobby in MWO but I don't actually remember why I thought that. That makes things a lot simpler, thanks.

up until recently private lobbies could only be formed by players with premium time

#9 Tarl Cabot

• Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,643 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:00 PM

View Postthievingmagpi, on 23 June 2019 - 12:10 PM, said:

up until recently private lobbies could only be formed by players with premium time

Yeapers, June 2017 is when the requirement was removed. I would have him go through the Academy first or alternate between the two. At least with the Academy he is earning some C-Bills. Then private lobby for some one-on-one, etc to get a hand at things before hitting the Solo Queue where his Cadet bonus for 1st 25 games will be active. And it is best he does it in the Solo queue instead of being teamed up and dropping as a duo in the group queue, which can be really painful, as there is no MM except to get groups formed.

https://mwomercs.com...uly-and-beyond/

InnerSphereNews, on 05 June 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

Removal of all Premium Time requirements for Private Lobbies

With the June patch, Premium Time will no longer be required for accessing any aspect of the Private Lobby feature. Tonnage Rules, Match Time, Time of Day, View Mode, and Full Team settings will all be available.

6-20-17 - Actual Patch
Private Lobby Changes

• As of this patch, all Premium Time requirements for the use of Private Lobby features have been removed. Tonnage Rules, Match Time, Time of Day, View Mode, and Full Team settings are all now available regardless of whether any participant has Premium Time running.

#10 cougurt

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • CS 2023 Silver Champ
  • 667 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:36 PM

i'd say either make a new account and attempt to sync drop in solo queue, or try to get a decent sized group of competent players to run with. group queue is probably going to be a rough time if it's just the two of you.

#11 HammerMaster

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 23 June 2019 - 01:47 PM

Sorry buddy.
MWO.
Don't.
Do:
Wait for MW5 CO-OP.

#12 Zigmund Freud

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

Yeah, I wish you could lunch a QP game with 1-2 buddies, and just go into the same bucket as solo players for fun and casual gameplay. But no, apparently groups of two to three people is too OP, so they should be thrown into 8 ppl pre made group que, where you first wait for 5 minutes to lunch and then get cursed by your team because you're trying to play with your newbie friend on a tryhard playground. This is why we can't have nice things

#13 Remover of Obstacles

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Fire
  • Fire
  • 549 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:29 PM

Agree with the others, wait for MW-V.

Until the recent patch that completely forked FP, you could get them one good medium set up and do scouting matches. Great for working on skills with the 4 vs 4 matches.

You could try Solaris and handicap yourself with stripped armor, less weapons, no skills, etc.

#14 Gladiolix

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 103 posts
  • LocationFinland

Posted 23 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

Sadly this game is not friendly with two player groups... But just tell him that once he gets it how to play this game, kills and component destroyed's feel really nice :D

#15 Felbombling

• 2,972 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:21 PM

If you insist on bringing him into MechWarrior: Online, I'd suggest you get him into the tutorial. After you've done that, either take him into a private lobby or get him into the Mech Lab and talk him through the Store > BattleMechs > Mech Lab combo. Let him pick a Mech he likes and design something in the Mech Lab. He can then take it into the training grounds and goof around in a safe environment with dummy Mech targets to his hearts content.

Should be a fairly safe introduction to the game before dropping into something more serious.

#16 thievingmagpi

• 1,577 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 06:39 PM

mess around in private tutorial a bit just to get him used to moving/shooting. really not much else can be done. NPE is such a mess and really getting a feel for the mechs you like is almost prohibitively expensive/grindy.

#17 The6thMessenger

• Nova Captain
  • Nova Captain
  • 8,045 posts
  • LocationFrom a distance in an Urbie with a HAG, delivering righteous fury to heretics.

Posted 23 June 2019 - 07:22 PM

Pay him 5000$.

#18 WhineyThePoo

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Urban Commando
  • Urban Commando
  • 247 posts

Posted 23 June 2019 - 10:38 PM

The average IQ of the mwo player base is about room temperature, so dont bother listening to all the whining about the game being hard to learn. Its not.
Get your friend, do a few private lobby games. Have him/her/nonbinarygenderperson do the tutorial and all that jaz.
Find some nice people (kinda hard in this community I know) get on their TS/Discord and have some fun.

#19 Sjorpha

• Philanthropist
  • Philanthropist
  • 4,472 posts
  • LocationSweden

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:46 AM

Tell him to buy 4 LRM boats and solo pug in Faction Play, if he's still here after a week of that he's a keeper.

#20 General Solo

• Legendary Founder
  • 3,625 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:41 AM

Its possible, probably painful but sorta possible.Posted Image

Teach and drill into him the things that make you successful as a solo
Two successful solos coordinating (fire) is greater and the sum of its parts
You can beat lets say 75% of people with just this as MM is a bit random and the skill average isn't super high in QP Posted Image

Train in private lobby and then solo sync dropping in QP after that, coz its the old new meta every one is doing it.Posted Image
Dont get all honourable about it coz we helping PGI to fix their game by exploiting loopholes Posted Image , just like open and closed beta which I attended BTW

Back to the topic, yeah so train the guy to your level and if your OK, when your friends trained two OK's pilots coordinated can be like 3 to 5 OK pilots alone doing typical uncoordinated quick play stuff.
Which will win about 75% in Solo Que Sync Queue i reckon, if not try some of my tips to awesomeness in Quickplay solo queue. Posted Image

https://mwomercs.com...64#entry6161964

Oh one thing you will get slammed with a ton of advice, so to save you from the flood of info be choosy.
I tend to look at apex players and what they do and try it out.
Sometime when trying others say mean things but little do they know.Posted Image

Be sure to tell him every time you fail your one step closer to success, to crush any romantik expectations he might have about twozies in giant stompy robots.Posted Image

Unless he turns out to be Kai Allard of course. Posted Image

Edited by OZHomerOZ, 24 June 2019 - 01:49 AM.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users