Baffled

39 replies to this topic

#1 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:19 AM

why on earth do people nascar in qp when its the absolute worst thing to do? i cant tell you how many times teams that more or less stand their ground ans send lights to harass win over the entire team nascaring. most of the teams i am stuck with in qp all do this same thing and as a result lose. do i rant on the game sure but its more out of frustration with team mates and my laggy machine. and you trolls who will point out my so called numbers, they mean nothing at all.

#2 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:34 AM

View PostDouglas grizzly, on 24 June 2019 - 09:19 AM, said:

why on earth do people nascar in qp when its the absolute worst thing to do? i cant tell you how many times teams that more or less stand their ground ans send lights to harass win over the entire team nascaring. most of the teams i am stuck with in qp all do this same thing and as a result lose. do i rant on the game sure but its more out of frustration with team mates and my laggy machine. and you trolls who will point out my so called numbers, they mean nothing at all.

Lemmings. The real question is why do Assaults and Heavy mechs follow lights and fast mediums trying to flank.
Flanking is their job, so they are going to do what appears to be Nascar. It becomes Nascar when the slower mechs follow them.

#3 justcallme A S H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • CS 2020 Referee
  • 8,987 posts
  • LocationMelbourne, AU

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:35 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 24 June 2019 - 11:02 AM.
unconstructive, name & shame, replies removed

#4 B L O O D W I T C H

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,426 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:40 AM

Nascar is the most basic strat.
Whoever nascars first and or harder usually wins.

#5 Vxheous

• CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • CS 2019 Gold Champ
  • 3,822 posts
  • Location2 Time MWO World Champion

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

[Redacted]

Edited by draiocht, 24 June 2019 - 11:44 PM.
discussing moderation, replies removed

#6 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:45 AM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 24 June 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

I have seen people nascar so hard that they completely overshoot the enemy position and ends running away from them instead. Not in the "I can't let them catch me or I'm dead so I have to keep rotating" kind of way, but literately running past the enemy so hard they end up running away from the battle. =/

#7 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:50 AM

[Redacted]
But ya QP. Man it's frustrating. But man. It's not gonna change.

Edited by draiocht, 24 June 2019 - 11:47 PM.
Quote Clean-up, reference

#8 xX PUG Xx

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 1,721 posts
  • LocationThe other side of nowhere

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:53 AM

Nascar = dumb **** that players automatically do because they don't want to think of something clever or even run the risk of being on the frontline ..... don't scratch my new paintwork.

Other things that are just plain stoopid:

PGI develop new maps. Eg. River City - everyone STILL runs to the 'Citadel' and complains about it having lopsided access until PGI adds more ramps to make it even more of a focal point. Queue muppets in game deriding anyone that suggests holding a high ground area AWAY from said 'Citadel' and being unable to do anything beyond running to middle, focal point and initiating 'Rotate-a-potatoe' manoeuvre.

Same can be said for virtually every map in the game. It could be the largest, most beautifully designed piece of structurally sound map making ever imagined and 90% of the playerbase would run to a central focal point and run in circles around it until one side was dead.

................. wait, what was my point? I can feel my minimal IQ dropping as I try and vent my frustration at the just plain D U M B that I see nowadays. GET OFF MY LAWN!!

#9 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:07 PM

View PostSsamout, on 24 June 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

[Redacted]

If you're talking about the OP, it's not an honest question since nascaring is the best thing you can do, which is far from the worst thing.

(in solo quick play)

Edited by draiocht, 24 June 2019 - 11:48 PM.
Quote Clean-up

#10 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:13 PM

View PostFoxwalker, on 24 June 2019 - 09:34 AM, said:

Lemmings. The real question is why do Assaults and Heavy mechs follow lights and fast mediums trying to flank.
Flanking is their job, so they are going to do what appears to be Nascar. It becomes Nascar when the slower mechs follow them.

they do because if they dont they usually get nascared. its amazing how quickly the team can vanish the second a mech appears on your left flank. and if you are in an assault you are not going to live very long. even if you choose to stand and fight it will often be alone while your team runs the other way.

the only way to make nascar go away is to play fp more. it doesn't works so well there.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2019 - 12:21 PM.

#11 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:32 PM

There are many ways to deal with nascar in a slow assault:
1. cut the turn short, even if it means burning a little armor, to get to the head of the pack
2. hide until the enemy team nascars by your position, and jump on the tail at the head of the pack
3. use a strong defensive position at a choke point to limit mechs that can attack you to 1 or 2, with a high DPS short range mech
4. sit a long range DPS assault mech in the open, 1km from the nascar route, and say bring it

The only things you shouldn't do are:
1. Follow the nascar along the wide route that fast mechs take... in your slow mech
2. Sit in the line of the enemy team's nascar

#12 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:10 PM

View PostNightbird, on 24 June 2019 - 12:32 PM, said:

There are many ways to deal with nascar in a slow assault:
1. cut the turn short, even if it means burning a little armor, to get to the head of the pack
2. hide until the enemy team nascars by your position, and jump on the tail at the head of the pack
3. use a strong defensive position at a choke point to limit mechs that can attack you to 1 or 2, with a high DPS short range mech
4. sit a long range DPS assault mech in the open, 1km from the nascar route, and say bring it

The only things you shouldn't do are:
1. Follow the nascar along the wide route that fast mechs take... in your slow mech
2. Sit in the line of the enemy team's nascar

and i know all these tricks. #4 is especially fun in an ultraviolet. but its more fun just to play a mode where nascar is out of the equation.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2019 - 02:12 PM.

#13 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:17 PM

1. Because the maps/objectives/missions are built that way.

2. Because it's the natural by-product of both the concept of flanking and walking behind people to find your place on the firing line. When you pull back because you're taking a beating or overheating, the smart thing to do is go behind everyone to get back on the line. I know, that's kind of an out there concept...everyone just zooms in and rushes in front of everyone.

#14 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:28 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 June 2019 - 02:10 PM, said:

and i know all these tricks. #4 is especially fun in an ultraviolet. but its more fun just to play a mode where nascar is out of the equation.

The OP doesn't know, this is for him.

#15 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:41 PM

View PostToha Heavy Industries, on 24 June 2019 - 09:40 AM, said:

Actually the team assigned the mechs that are better at sustaining fire on the move wins. The matchmaker has decided the primary factors for success in a NASCAR the players who opt to NASCAR have removed self agency from the equation and replaced it with what amounts to a coin toss.

There is a right time to use speed combined with firepower to over run your enemy and keep them on off footing but only if your team has the advantages in these areas. If your team is slower or hotter running than the enemy then the enemy will likely win the tail chase.

The problem is most players lack the ability to determine if a strategy is a loser until they have lost.

#16 Lykaon

• 3,815 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:49 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 June 2019 - 12:13 PM, said:

they do because if they dont they usually get nascared. its amazing how quickly the team can vanish the second a mech appears on your left flank. and if you are in an assault you are not going to live very long. even if you choose to stand and fight it will often be alone while your team runs the other way.

the only way to make nascar go away is to play fp more. it doesn't works so well there.

You are basically outlining a route and not a "NASCAR" the route is what happens to the team losing the NASCAR.

The team that was randomly blessed by the matchmaker to have the better composition to press an aggressive attack routes the other team.

The losers of the matchmaker lottery lack the means to catch the enemy tail so spend the game running away instead of shooting.

And that is the problem with teams that stick to a losing strat all the way up until the last mech is a smoldering wreck. If players paid attention to the bigger picture you can usually tell if your team will lose in NASCAR half way through the first rotation.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,771 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostLykaon, on 24 June 2019 - 02:49 PM, said:

You are basically outlining a route and not a "NASCAR" the route is what happens to the team losing the NASCAR.

The team that was randomly blessed by the matchmaker to have the better composition to press an aggressive attack routes the other team.

The losers of the matchmaker lottery lack the means to catch the enemy tail so spend the game running away instead of shooting.

And that is the problem with teams that stick to a losing strat all the way up until the last mech is a smoldering wreck. If players paid attention to the bigger picture you can usually tell if your team will lose in NASCAR half way through the first rotation.

i wanted to use the phrase 'circular logic', but i dont like puns.

whether a nascar wins or not really depends on the assault's spawn location. at least that holds true for a natural nascar. nascar as a tactic is a little bit more reliable, as players temper their reactions better and set up for a successful nascar as a tactic run.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2019 - 03:00 PM.

#18 Douglas grizzly

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Big Brother
  • Big Brother
  • 321 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

most of the teams i have convinced to stand and fight with heavies and assualts have ended up winning or making the game very very close.the other thing i absolutely detest is team mates moving in front of me while i am firing or they use arties without calling. since arties are becoming a very useful hit strat for me , i use it frequently and often with devastating results for enemy.

#19 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 03:21 PM

Nascar wins 50% of the time, which is a better win rate than half the players. That ain't bad.

#20 Wil McCullough

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 1,482 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 04:44 PM

Hammers need to stay around me.

Signed, a very stupid anvil

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users