73 replies to this topic

#1 Foxwalker

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Knight Errant
  • Knight Errant
  • 962 posts
  • LocationLost on Thunder Rift

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:31 AM

Yesterday, I heard this and tried to address it in the game I was in. (Interestingly, I was in an LRM mech that game as well). I hear it a lot.

I told the guy, that it was essentially wrong to ask people to do this and here was my reasoning:

Unless the non-LRM mech is specifically setup by the player to do this, mostly you can't without taking significant damage. If you are a burst damage mech, like Gauss or PPCs, you shoot and get back into cover before the enemy has a chance to target you. Same with an SRM mech. Holding locks past your own window to shoot, generally will get you killed.

He did not understand, sadly. Locks are held by the LRM boats themselves or the best way is concentrated fire. If enough mechs are also targeting the same target, than as your team targets and breaks off, the lock is maintained due to multiple targeting.

So to all you guys that say "please hold locks" at the begging of the game, don't. Instead call targets and ask others to call targets, and you will get those locks without begging.

#2 Koniving

Welcoming Committee

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The Guide
  • The Guide
  • 23,384 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 09:55 AM

That LRM support..

Now in today's environment, all those LRMs would actually hit.

Back in the day when LRMs were slower than molasses, making the request made sense. This meant that LRMs could support the guy on the front while he brawls...which basically meant he'd be out in that fighting window anyway.

Today it's all about that corner peeking pot-shot, it's turned from Quake to Gears of War. And LRMs are fast enough to actually do the job. As such, there's no longer a reason or excuse for players to need to request allies to hold locks. A short lock window can still lead to hits, and its imperative and actually better for the LRM boat to make it to the front lines. Especially since certain LRM boat platforms carry more armor than the lesser 100 ton mechs (Archer for example).

#3 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 10:15 AM

Wow. Another 6 year old video **** post.

As for locks, if you're shooting at something you're probably holding a lock on it anyways. LRMs work better in DF anyways, so its not something that matters in the least bit anymore.

Edited by Prototelis, 24 June 2019 - 10:17 AM.

#4 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:40 AM

I actually haven't seen anyone say "hold locks" in a while now that I think about it. =O

#5 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:56 AM

Ya. The uninformed keep thinking out of LOS locks are viable. The in LOS locks are so much better. Please just inform them of the error. As annoying as "hold locks plz". It's also a sarcastic jibe against LRM users. Just whatever man. Don't stress.

#6 LordNothing

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 11:59 AM

i tell people to press r, but mostly for the targeting data. i dont really use lerms myself. people shooting fresh torsos when there are red legs. or trying to attack a streak boat in a light. or looking for opponents with a weak or inefficient loadout. these are just a few of the reasons you press r. also having rain on the enemy can tilt the odds in your favor. its better than living in complete ignorance of the enemy's capability and health.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2019 - 12:08 PM.

#7 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:00 PM

ERPPC boat here please hold locks.

#8 Funky Bacon

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 629 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:15 PM

View PostFupDup, on 24 June 2019 - 12:00 PM, said:

ERPPC boat here please hold locks.

That would actually make a lot of sense as if you get target info you can find weakspots and apply damage where it hurts and therefore be more effective.

#9 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:18 PM

View PostFunky Bacon, on 24 June 2019 - 12:15 PM, said:

That would actually make a lot of sense as if you get target info you can find weakspots and apply damage where it hurts and therefore be more effective.

It's just what I say to troll people who ask the team to hold LRM locks for them.

#10 Mumuharra

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 311 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 12:49 PM

Hi Foxy,

it is quite easy. LRM boats have a very bad reputation (by the way I love LRM boats and have a couple of them)
And one point is the question „please hold locks for me“.
LRMs are very powerful and strongly disputed weapons but are accepted if you play well and get your own locks.
But calling for help is a no go in QP.
It is OK in faction play where you have designated role in your team.

So go for your own locks and be happy if a NARC mech in your flight.

#11 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:20 PM

View PostLordNothing, on 24 June 2019 - 11:59 AM, said:

i tell people to press r, but mostly for the targeting data.

There are plenty of players who have never figured this out. There's nothing like spectating a teammate who keeps hitting CT even though you know the enemy is one-touch from getting legged or dying from IS XL

#12 JediPanther

• Legendary Founder
  • Legendary Founder
  • 4,070 posts
  • LocationLost in my C1

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:38 PM

My problem recently isn't lack of locks. It's lack of aggression to keep fighting for the win and knowing how IS lrms are different than clan lrms. Just because you lack weapons on certain mechs with lrm only load outs doesn't mean you are entirely weapon less.

More recent video from the other night. As for the manta of "back up weapons on lrm boats..." you just have to go ludicrisp speed with some mechs.

https://youtu.be/ue8uRUNzVmk

#13 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 01:59 PM

View PostJediPanther, on 24 June 2019 - 01:38 PM, said:

My problem recently isn't lack of locks. It's lack of aggression to keep fighting for the win and knowing how IS lrms are different than clan lrms. Just because you lack weapons on certain mechs with lrm only load outs doesn't mean you are entirely weapon less.

More recent video from the other night. As for the manta of "back up weapons on lrm boats..." you just have to go ludicrisp speed with some mechs.

https://youtu.be/ue8uRUNzVmk

does not make it any less humiliating when you lose to a legged squirrel with one small laser. speed is a good way to get out of that situation. im still pro backup weapon even if its just a couple ersmalls.

aggression is good and makes the game more fun.

#14 Ken Harkin

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 336 posts
  • LocationLong Island, New York, USA

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

I have a couple LRM boats and enjoy using them but:

1. I always have back up weapons, usually 2 - 6 ML depending on the build
2. I always have a BAP and TC
3. I often have a TAG

I do see the callout of "Please hold locks" and said so just yesterday but never use it myself. It is asking for abuse.

When I drop in a LRM boat I SAY over voice chat "I have LRMs and will get my own locks but if you want support lock it and let me know, I'm happy to help."

When it comes to LRM boating my two go to mechs are the Archer and Vapor Eagle. The Archer really is a tank and throws out 2LRM20+A with authority. BAP, TAG, TC, 4ML and a ton of missiles backed up with plenty of armor allow me to fight at close range and hammer at longer ones. The Vapor Eagle with TAG rocks at popping up, releasing LRMS then ducking down with ERMLs to support.

The only Assault I regularly have LRMs on is Scorch. 2LRM20+A and 2ATM12 back up with ERMLs. This thing rocks when you can unleash the LRMs followed by the ATMs. They pretty much reach the target at the same time and you can defer to just the LRMs should he go out of LOS but lock is maintained. This thing is always in LOS though and fighting like it should be.

I despise those LRM boats who sit in the backfield doing nothing but raining down on targets they can't see, die last, then claim how LEET they are for getting so much damage an kills without actually accomplishing anything.

#15 crazytimes

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 1,325 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:06 PM

My lrm mechs all have TAG. ATM mechs have TAG, BAP and a UAV. I'll hit anything that I can get locks on, but definitely aim to get my own. I always take backup weapons as well, no LRM boating. A good half of my SNV-A kills are from the two LPLs surprising lights that are trying to rush boats.

#16 Willard Phule

• The 1 Percent
  • The 1 Percent
  • 3,920 posts
  • LocationThe Omega Company compound on Outreach

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:08 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 24 June 2019 - 10:15 AM, said:

Wow. Another 6 year old video **** post. As for locks, if you're shooting at something you're probably holding a lock on it anyways. LRMs work better in DF anyways, so its not something that matters in the least bit anymore.

The weapon system works better with direct fire, those that require their usage do not. Let's face it...LRM boats are there because there are some that simply don't react quickly enough to deal with being fired upon. By finding a safe place to lob potatoes into the air, they feel like they're contributing. Without that mechanic, they're relegated to being the light that runs face first into the enemy deathball.

#17 LordNothing

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 16,780 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:15 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 24 June 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

There are plenty of players who have never figured this out. There's nothing like spectating a teammate who keeps hitting CT even though you know the enemy is one-touch from getting legged or dying from IS XL

even worse are the ones who do it intentionally so that lerm boats cant steal their kills. they havent figured out that they can save their heat and twist off the damage, wait till the lerms open up a torso section and then take it out. im just happy that the lerm boats are actually hitting something other than terrain.

Edited by LordNothing, 24 June 2019 - 02:16 PM.

#18 FupDup

• Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:18 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 24 June 2019 - 01:20 PM, said:

To be fair, sometimes in events you get penalized for landing the killing blow instead of an assist. It's like, PLEASE blue team kill this guy already because I want to complete the event requirements quicker. Why are you dudes taking so long to finish him?

#19 Kubernetes

• The Blazing
  • The Blazing
  • 2,369 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:21 PM

View PostKen Harkin, on 24 June 2019 - 02:06 PM, said:

The only Assault I regularly have LRMs on is Scorch.

Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

#20 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 24 June 2019 - 02:52 PM

View PostKubernetes, on 24 June 2019 - 02:21 PM, said:

Why are you the way that you are? Honestly, every time I try to do something fun or exciting, you make it not that way. I hate so much about the things that you choose to be.

Quoting this so I can like it again.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users