33 replies to this topic

#21 Tarl Cabot

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Tai-sho
  • Tai-sho
  • 7,654 posts
  • LocationImperial City, Luthien - Draconis Combine

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:50 AM

I do not miss that setup one bit for tons of reasons. The only real thing to miss is that CW had a initially had an okay population but even that started to drop due to the lack of content. Then came the Tug-of-War only as IS vs Clan, whereas previous setup was wide spread warfare but even that had major issues, Then one of the newer pieces of content PGI did add and kept running with for approx 6 months was the Long Tom fiasco when it was implemented with the Scouting mode. That was the last straw for a number of players and units.

View PostJugger Grimrod, on 26 June 2019 - 03:50 PM, said:

Who else misses the "Good Old Days"?

Posted Image

Edited by Tarl Cabot, 27 June 2019 - 03:14 AM.

#22 Charles Sennet

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • Hero of Diamond Shark
  • 387 posts
  • LocationCurrently obscured by ECM

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:39 AM

View PostKhalcruth, on 26 June 2019 - 04:51 PM, said:

I love how those 5 maps are still the only ones they ever made.

There are 6 FP Maps (the last being Vitric Forge released years ago) but I agree with your point... more FP-only maps would have been great. Imagine of all the effort put into Solaris instead placed into FP...

Edited by Charles Sennet, 27 June 2019 - 04:43 AM.

#23 Khalcruth

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Hero of Steiner
  • Hero of Steiner
  • 808 posts
  • LocationYou gotta lose your mind in Detroit! Rock City!

Posted 27 June 2019 - 07:47 AM

Yikes, my mistake. 6 maps, not 5, you're absolutely right.

Apparently there are plenty of FP maps, more than I can even count! Posted Image

#24 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts
  • LocationSeraphim HQ: Asuncion

Posted 27 June 2019 - 10:43 AM

View PostTarl Cabot, on 27 June 2019 - 02:50 AM, said:

I do not miss that setup one bit for tons of reasons. The only real thing to miss is that CW had a initially had an okay population but even that started to drop due to the lack of content. Then came the Tug-of-War only as IS vs Clan, whereas previous setup was wide spread warfare but even that had major issues, Then one of the newer pieces of content PGI did add and kept running with for approx 6 months was the Long Tom fiasco when it was implemented with the Scouting mode. That was the last straw for a number of players and units.

I honestly believe the initial decline (from my observations) for CW was when the map first got reset. After that first reset, I saw a lot fewer people in CW and a lot less drive to "take planets for your faction". From there, Long Tom didn't help (though scouting mode was requested and seems popular, but ended up being another bucket to draw players away from other conflicts). Once the enthusiasm for CW died down, then the many buckets produced from 10 different factions fighting each other started to become to thinly spread, reducing match launching times. From there, slipper down hill slop to what we have now.

As much as that first map reset was expected and maybe needed, it was the first step down that hill in my opinion. All the other changes were stumbling blocks that continued down that hill.

#25 Prototelis

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:42 PM

Scouting isn't popular specifically because you can just rush the objective without ever trying to fight.

#26 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 02:56 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 June 2019 - 02:42 PM, said:

Scouting isn't popular specifically because you can just rush the objective without ever trying to fight.

Last I understood, a lot of people liked scouting because they where faster matches, and typically you couldn't "rush the objective" to win, you normally had to kill the enemy team to reliably win. Otherwise, the enemy team typically can camp the drop zone and kill "survivors" from the collection team. (At least, from my experience.)

Now, siege (original CW exclusive game mode) had issues with objective rushing. Light mech gen rushing at first. Then when changes happened, it turned into assault mech gen rushing. Now it's balanced out a little, but other game modes (QP game modes) are included, which I think detract from FP. Some of those game modes (Domination) tend to be out of place in FP. It's often a "one wave" ordeal from my experience. The first team to lose their first wave of mechs, tend not to be able to get back into the circle for it's second wave in time.

#27 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:16 PM

It doesn't matter if you camp the drop zone when you run at it with only a couple seconds left on the clock. Its even easier to do on IS side with stealth lights.

#28 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:32 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 June 2019 - 03:16 PM, said:

It doesn't matter if you camp the drop zone when you run at it with only a couple seconds left on the clock. Its even easier to do on IS side with stealth lights.

As stated, in my experience. I have to admit I have not played much FP nor Scout mode in some time. I'm also typically on the IS side of things... So that may be why my experience is different.

PS: I'm also talking about when Scouting was first introduced, more than how it is currently with much of my discussion. May be part of the confusion here.

#29 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 03:51 PM

Even when scouting was first introduced this was an issue.

#30 Tesunie

• The Seeker
  • The Seeker
  • 8,578 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 04:01 PM

View PostPrototelis, on 27 June 2019 - 03:51 PM, said:

Even when scouting was first introduced this was an issue.

For the most part, "smoke diving" was a rather rare "sporting spectator event" from my experience. Stealth armor certainly has "helped" this aspect when it was released.

As I said, it's been a little while since I last played scouting in any meaningful manner, but when I did play scouting mode win by objective with little/no fighting was a rather rare thing. Maybe you've had different match experience than me. That's okay. My recall on scout mode was that it was a rather liked game mode overall. I've rarely heard of many complaints nor suggestions to "fix it", besides about the Stormcrow (way back in the day).

With stealth armor options, things very well may have changed. I do like the suggestion of needing to be in the pick up box for X seconds before the dropship "picks you up". I could also see an "if an enemy is in the box, you can not be picked up", but I'd want to add an "as long as an ally is in the box, even if the pick up timer ends, you can still win if you clean the drop zone for X seconds". (I mean, a drop ship is shooting at enemies, and if a friendly (to the dropship) mech can stay inside the square uncontested for X seconds and survive...

#31 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 27 June 2019 - 05:30 PM

Stealth armor didn't change smoke diving, it just made it easier.

:/

Scout queue has always died the moment a 4 person team starts smoke diving because they can't win otherwise.

#32 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 29 June 2019 - 05:32 AM

View PostThe6thMessenger, on 24 June 2019 - 05:33 PM, said:

And the games, I really preferred the old tug of war, where we can just build up on the game-mode (with random chance of other game modes). When I wanted FP, I was expecting Siege, the Tug-Of-War used to do that with at least a progression that made sense, we can just build up the bar and we could play Siege all we want.

The tug-of-war was DUMB. But then again, apparently directed graphs are just so dificil.

#33 Pahrias

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • FP Veteran - Beta 2
  • 190 posts

Posted 05 July 2019 - 08:18 AM

yeah its dumb. this game mode is dead. was pretty much all i played last year. this year ive hardly played at all since this "improvement"

MW5 cant come soon enough, and i can do coop with my bro instead. sucks that it had to be this way though. it all had such potential.

#34 3fl0w

Rookie

• Survivor
  • 5 posts
  • LocationOKC

Posted 26 July 2019 - 01:57 PM

I Agree... I'm not even sure how or why to play this game anymore..
There's not much of an Objective to compete for...
Having a planet owned by your Group was cool.
There should be more to it than a grind though..

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users