How And Why To Disable Auto-Targetting

11 replies to this topic

#1 Nightbird

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 10:38 AM

Auto-targeting is the feature where just by holding your cross-hair on an enemy mech locks on to it as if you pressed R. To disable this feature, add this line to your user.cfg file:

gp_mech_disable_autotarget = 1

Reasons why you may want to disable this feature:

1. You're shadowing a target and don't want to lock-on, and have the target's radar deprivation bleep, and give you away

2. You're going in to back-stab an enemy target, and don't want to lock-on and have friendly in-direct fire warn the target he is spotted by someone

3. You want to duel a target, and don't want anyone to interfere

4. You want to secure a kill or solo kill on a target you've put a lot of work into

5. You don't want to auto-lock onto a target a moment before you press R, intending to lock-on, only to have it switch targets on you

6. Want to prevent friendly LRMs from hitting you while you are dancing with another mech point-blank

Edited by Nightbird, 01 July 2019 - 01:19 PM.

#2 Mystere

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Bad Company
  • Bad Company
  • 22,783 posts
  • LocationClassified

Posted 01 July 2019 - 11:52 AM

Don't make me request exile to Kaetetôã for this too. Posted Image

#3 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:43 PM

Reasons 3 and 4 are kinda petty.

#4 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:54 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2019 - 12:43 PM, said:

Reasons 3 and 4 are kinda petty.

It's a counter to the players who hide until they see a target's paper doll is one shot, and valiantly leaps out to claim the kill. Then goes back into hiding.

Is it petty to prevent those guys from picking the kill you've spent time and armor to prep?

Edited by Nightbird, 01 July 2019 - 12:56 PM.

#5 FupDup

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Ace Of Spades
  • Ace Of Spades
  • 26,888 posts
  • LocationThe Keeper of Memes

Posted 01 July 2019 - 12:58 PM

View PostNightbird, on 01 July 2019 - 12:54 PM, said:

It's a counter to the players who hide until they see a target's paper doll is one shot, and valiantly leaps out to claim the kill. Then goes back into hiding.

Is it petty to prevent those guys from picking the kill you've spent time and armor to prep?

If you do the majority of the damage needed to kill the target, you get the majority of the reward (KMDD). This game isn't like a MOBA where you have to land the killing blow to get credit and anything less than the killing blow isn't acknowledged.

Kill stealing is a non-issue in this game outside of very specific event requirements, but PGI usually uses stuff like KMDD to alleviate that.

Edited by FupDup, 01 July 2019 - 12:59 PM.

#6 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:02 PM

View PostFupDup, on 01 July 2019 - 12:58 PM, said:

If you do the majority of the damage needed to kill the target, you get the majority of the reward (KMDD). This game isn't like a MOBA where you have to land the killing blow to get credit and anything less than the killing blow isn't acknowledged.

Kill stealing is a non-issue in this game outside of very specific event requirements, but PGI usually uses stuff like KMDD to alleviate that.

Ok, in other words, you don't notice or get annoyed with kill-stealers, got it, but some of us do. Call us petty if you want but we're gonna kill secure when we're the only person working a target. (Not targeting doesn't do anything if multiple people are engaged)

#7 Jackal Noble

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 July 2019 - 01:48 PM

I can see how this would be beneficial if this was a solo player game, and despite it often feeling that way in pugworld, it is not. Certain players will want this and be able to use it for maximum effect while also not being a detriment. Conversely, I can foresee other elements of the population if they were to use this, underutilizing the ‘advantage’ and by providing less awareness for the team overall and affect a games outcome. Two sides of a coin, and honestly it’s not a game breaking modification because one can still manually lock a target.
Having played this game more than most, I have seen where this could be a boon or a bane.
That said, I don’t modify my game files personally. This one seems relatively harmless compared to what some players I fear others have pulled off despite the omnipotent CoC(lel). Tinfoil hat activated.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 01 July 2019 - 03:37 PM.

#8 Jackal Noble

• 4,863 posts
  • LocationTerra

Posted 01 July 2019 - 03:37 PM

View PostNightbird, on 01 July 2019 - 02:48 PM, said:

This is not against the CoC, sound mods are, your post will be moderated for it. Edit it out and I'll delete this post

Weird.
I never implied that it was.

Edited by Jackal Noble, 01 July 2019 - 03:38 PM.

#9 HammerMaster

• The Benefactor
  • The Benefactor
  • 2,516 posts
  • LocationNew Hampshire, USA

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:46 PM

View PostNightbird, on 01 July 2019 - 10:38 AM, said:

Auto-targeting is the feature where just by holding your cross-hair on an enemy mech locks on to it as if you pressed R. To disable this feature, add this line to your user.cfg file:

gp_mech_disable_autotarget = 1

Reasons why you may want to disable this feature:

1. You're shadowing a target and don't want to lock-on, and have the target's radar deprivation bleep, and give you away

2. You're going in to back-stab an enemy target, and don't want to lock-on and have friendly in-direct fire warn the target he is spotted by someone

3. You want to duel a target, and don't want anyone to interfere

4. You want to secure a kill or solo kill on a target you've put a lot of work into

5. You don't want to auto-lock onto a target a moment before you press R, intending to lock-on, only to have it switch targets on you

6. Want to prevent friendly LRMs from hitting you while you are dancing with another mech point-blank

When explained like this, I agree.
But I know your real motives.

#10 Nightbird

• The God of Death
  • The God of Death
  • 7,518 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:51 PM

View PostHammerMaster, on 01 July 2019 - 05:46 PM, said:

When explained like this, I agree.
But I know your real motives.

It's not like I didn't list those real motives, I just used boring way of stating them

#11 Prototelis

• Shredder
  • Shredder
  • 4,789 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 05:52 PM

lol.

#12 draiocht

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 791 posts

Posted 01 July 2019 - 06:17 PM

[mod]Due to similarity of topic, this thread has been reviewed as duplicate to